Thrall limits explained (poorly)

I will wait to see what they do on this regard and if they are open for feedback when it is released.

Granted I agree 50+5 would be too low. I know my clan has too many (at least on one server) so no matter the end result, I will need to prune one of my clan mate’s followers (he must have at least 200 by himself which I had to move when his place decayed).

I would think 40+20 may seem reasonable (240 cap). Assuming people even have 10 person clans on the official servers. A relative medium clan of 4 would have 120 cap (30 per person)

1 Like

I’ve been playing Officials for 5 + years and have never seen a 10 man clan on a PVE or a PVE-C server.
I have seen many on PVP servers.
They should just do a clan hard cap at 200 on PVE and C regardless of clan size.
My problem is that I have had one thrall stuck in the undermesh behind my base for over a year now, and also have three thralls floating underwater that I cannot get out. So I am going to be stuck with four useless thralls no matter what.

1 Like

My clan was the largest at 9 (probably still the largest at 8) on my current Official PvE server. On two (PvE-C & PvE) servers, never heard of a 10 person clan either but I could be wrong since hardly play on the Exiled lands server these days.

I am not sure I would want a 1 person clan have the exact same cap as a larger clan. Although I am not sure people would like a clan with 319 followers either (current number my clan has even with a bunch I broke bonds with recently)

I see your target number is pretty much 200.

Well the biggest reason for thralls on a non PVP server is for purge defense, and I always build where the purges are the hardest. So regardless of clan size, I need to defend my bases or just start not having purges, which takes another fun element out of the game.

So to summarize :
Capping thralls will make the game so much more boring for us single players.
I liked the old thrall pot method better, it worked fine. But it did not sit well with the log in, refresh, log out people who constantly whined about it, so of course they nerfed it.

1 Like

Eeeehhh, not for me that’s for sure. Back then I collected every named fighter (even multiple ones from the same name - dozens of Captains) nodaways I have 4-5 (2 dancers, an animal, 1-2 human fighters) per base with the max. number of bases is 6-7. Since I only can carry 1 follower at the time, adventuring is the same, defending base from the purge is the same, except it ended sooner with more defenders, or if I wanted purge thralls, I had to give truncheons to every base defending guy which was a nightmare for me.

On a side note: I do NOT recommend anybody a single animal as a base defense because nordheimers and above will tear your base apart :laughing:

Agreed

I thought they cancelled this stupid plan to limit thralls. Was over a year ago that they were gonna roll it out and it is just as stupid of a plan now. We had thousands of thralls and deleted almost all of them before they were going to roll this out originally and it made no difference to server performance. It won’t do a damn thing to help out with the lag issues

2 Likes

@Ignasi confirmed it is not an IF, just a WHEN and how many right now. He stated most likely after 2.4 rolls out and the dusts settles from that.
And I agree, I deleted a ton of thralls back then also, and nothing changed performance wise.

Those of us who run on better servers use the Thrall Limit already. This is to keep the wipe cycles as long as possible. Server I’m currently playing on allows 6 per clan +2 per additional person. Many have tighter restrictions.

2 Likes

Your preaching to the choir.

Wow that is tiny thrall limits for some private servers.

Below is what I do on my private run (3) servers and has no relations to the Official Server discussion in this thread.

I have not check the limit on the server I play on occasionally, but I have a limit of 300 on my servers. 50 +25 (although no clan is at 10 players) Most clans are 3 or below so the cap would be up to 125. I put the cap in 2019 to give flexibility for players/clans and never thought it about it since.

I also allow players to build up to 25k. All the clans beyond my clan is below 12k. Majority below 5k. So buildings has not been an issue. My clan also has many server built locations that includes a testing area for people to view modded / vanilla / dlc structures so overall the clan exceeds 33k. Advantages of being owner of the server. (Gportal servers)

The largest clan of 9 had 93 thralls / pets. My clan (with admins included) has 8 members and 91 thralls / pets. The next highest clan is 4 members with larger number of followers has 96 thralls / pets (odd the smaller clan has more than 2 biggest ones). Overall, most clans have very few followers numbering 20 and less.

Nice thing about private servers, the server owners make those decisions on what they think is best.

I did have a wipe in 2019 but it was due to a bugged mod crafting station which was not known at the time of the cause of the server instability. Players voted for the wipe. Although the players who voted for the wipe most ended up stop playing and I had a new set of players. Odd how that worked.

1 Like

Funny, that’s precisely why I generally stay away from private servers. Some of them set up really unreasonable restrictions. I’m not talking about your server, by the way, just remembering some I visited.

Its always a give and take. The more mods you add the more restrictive you have to be. And when I say more mods I mean ones that add a ton of new building pieces and placeables, or custom pets and mounts. Basically anything that adds to the item tables will begin to bloat the database at a near exponential level.

But vanilla isn’t immune to this either. We have updates and DLCs that have quadrupled the amount of items since 2017. So all this takes its toll.

I will say this though, 2.4 should have some things to make this better for all servers. I know many in this thread think Funcom should dump G-Portal, and I agree 110%. But our opinions on that is irrelevant. Even Funcom’s opinion is irrelevant. They likely have contractual obligations. So they can’t affect hardware on officials, its outside their venue.

So they have to mess with settings, and try to optimize as best they can. They are doing both. They are trying. Hopefully we’ll see results.

That is true. I have very few restrictions on my servers (3) and currently have 46 mods (mostly building types) so you can say bloat. I have not had any major issues since Nov 2019 with a mod item that was broken, otherwise server seems to run fine since. I did have 58 mods at one time (before Siptah). One of the servers I occasionally play on is like my server of light restrictions and she has 58 mods last I checked.

Such as 300 Cap thralls, 25k building limit, no decay (last one is more work for me when I need to clean up structures of players been gone 4+ months (for those below 20) High level players/clans I tend to keep much longer. Grant you, no one hit any of those caps outside my clan with 35k building pieces (oddly before Pippi’s patch was 33k…most likely its a bug in count before or after, no idea).

Also I still use Gportal.

Note our servers are never packed so probably helps with any potential issues. At most I had in the past 12 months was 11-12 players online at once. Typically lately it may peak at 4 now-a-days. Player base is pretty casual here.

I build my original design concepts on the Official Servers and re-do them with better concepts and modded styles on my servers in the same location usually.

Ofc it will, but I’m not so sure it’s due to all the “hard” work at FC tho.

If Players like my leave that have far far more then 50 thralls/Pets, then that it in self will reduce the load on the servers over time, so did FC fix the real issue then, no, they just pissed of more playes to quit.

But for now and until who knows when I will update the bases only so they are there “lagging” the servers and no ones there to care.

Logged on this morning, it was me and 1 new player online, last time I logged in a few evening ago, it was ME and ME alone.

That’s how much ppl play these days, at most we where 10+ active that talked too each other, no there are next too none.

1 Like

My server is dead also. Its rare now to see 3 or 4 people online. I just log in to refresh, since I wont be doing anything until the patch. Once I see which way the wind blows, most likely I will just let it rot and find a different game to play.

I noticed this game has many peaks and valleys. It does not have a steady player base like MMOs tend to have. Which may be good or bad, no idea. I seen many players return after long periods being away.

On the other note, there may be too many servers for the population available (official and private combined) which dilutes the population in many servers. Also people like myself play on a number of servers so not always seen on one particular server when playing.

Steam numbers only

1 Like

They could cut the number of official servers by 90% (going from around 500 servers to 50) and still have empty servers with the average being a little less than half full.

I’ve actually suggested they cut their servers drastically. It would get more players playing with each other. Make the experience overall better (moderation of 50-75 servers is much easier than 500+). And even grow the server base there.

But telling the current players that only 1 out of 9 servers is going to survive is a tough pill to swallow. Though… with server transfer… maybe not so much. I didn’t really think about that before. But that’s for another thread. You all can bring that up there.

1 Like

Only official server I would say / recommend removing servers that have literally no active players (server is devoided of player structures) and shift the entire player based on the database to another lightly filled server so if and when they do return, their character will be still available but on a new server. This way, no one starts in a completely empty server.

No idea if there is any server that fits that description, but if there is even 5, it will be a start.

The 2 official servers have people between 1 and 20’s at various times. Not heavily populated like before but no where dead either. Just it may seem dead at times though since it bounces up and down.

How many official servers are there anyway, per region?

Depends on the region. You can see this yourself. Sort by Official and region and then watch the number of servers once it stops.

If you use no filter, and only sort by officials, it will cap out and not show all of them, but there’s 535ish total. So you’ll need to use at least one filter.