Thralls gathering and taking on more complex jobs

How hard would it be to get a thrall and request/command them to go out and collect certain resources. You could have up to a party of 2 or 3 sized party going out to gather. Also having the chance that they may be killed or captured would be a great mix.

4 Likes

“How hard would it be” - considering how dumb thralls are currently, I’d say “near impossible”. If the mythical “AI update” ever happens, the answer might be different, but for now I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Then again I generally don’t suggest holding one’s breath waiting for software updates, it rarely ends well even in the best cases.

4 Likes

I don’t think anymore that there will be a really deep Improvement of the AI or other Systems like a Thrall overhaul or a siege overhaul coming. If you follow their statements on the forums and the net and look at the development of the game till now you surely will get the same impression.
They will try to improve existing features, add some DLCs and maybe developing some work around for the Thralls AI but you shouldn’t expect much more.
Conan Exiles saved Funcom but they didn’t plan to develop this game further by concept. Only because of the big success they had till now, and they didn’t expected this, they are willing to give this game more attention as they planed to do.
Based on this success they now will use their financial power and experienced know how to begin a new project: Dune.
The economic concept of Dune will be a completely different one. It’s about a project that is supposed to tie players in the long term, but that will require a lasting development and expansion. This is more suitable for the gameworld of Dune anyway, especially since the world itself as well as the fanbase will be significantly larger and more demanding.
The economic concept of Conan Exiles wasn’t planed like this. Conan Exiles was the last shot to rescue Funcom. They succeeded.
Let’s hope they will succeed with their concept also with Dune. I will keep my fingers crossed Funcom.

5 Likes

I agree. And I can’t really say they’re wrong to do so, either. Some of these changes would probably require rewriting things at a deep level, which would cost way more than it’d be worth.

Yes, they have pretty much said as much. It will be interesting to see what they can do with that IP, though I think I’ll wait for reviews before jumping in this time :smiley:

Are you sure Dune has a larger fanbase than Conan? The Dune books are probably more widely read, but it hasn’t seen much else in popular media in recent years (decades) has it? Unlike Conan. Do correct me if I’m wrong, I’m hardly an expert! Still, both are somewhat obscure IPs compared to the behemoths

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: Oh yes I am sure. Dune is the mother of SF as it is also a Game of Thrones in SF. You will see. At least the planed Dune Movies (2 Movies are in the Pipeline for book 1/ they just started shooting the first one) will generate a hype from which Funcom could benefit a lot. The timing of Funcom is perfect.

2 Likes

Hardly a coincidence I’d wager. But fair point regardless :grin:

1 Like

I think it would be impossible for pathing gathering thralls to be coded with how this game is set up to operate on servers, co-op and single player.
Even persistent servers when there is no player in the local vicinity the code stops processing actions on the map and has only partial “catch-up” scripts operating to reconcile what should have happened on that part of the map between players visiting the area.
Eg: your thralls stop healing if you are not near them.
Catch up scripts for calculating how much should have crafted in your workstations/wheel of pain have flaws in them so that randomly they will not execute until after you press “play” on them next and suddenly you get instant crafting of stacks you put in.

Add to that the AI has terrible pathing and is just as likely to be walked into lava or someone else’s palisades or a world boss … I just can’t see gathering thralls being successfully coded.

2 Likes

Personally I would be happy if they were just a little more active, they don’t have to go out and gather resources just look like there is some life in them, maybe something as simple as the way they stand, or crossing their arms while on guard duty, or just looking around. I’m not picky or greedy, an improvement, no matter how small, is a welcome change.

1 Like

My view is first things first, teach them to use a weapon properly and to target something with accuracy before giving them more tasks, or all fighting thralls will end up in the psychiatrist.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.