Torch issues: high hardware temperature with "too much" torches

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Performance
Server type: PvE
Region: EU
Mods?: No
Edition: Steam

Bug Description:… We did various tests, with a high-end PC and a medium one, and we noticed that by putting more torches, the temperature of the CPU and the GPU increased dramatically. (75-80 C°)

To solve this, we removed several torches and the temperatures returned to normal. (55-60 C°)
We redid the test by putting the settings for low-end laptops, same result.
There is any chance that this happened to others and if yes, do you know if the developer has notice this “lights” problem?

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a small building (5x5 should be enough)
  2. Place several torches, to light the place
  3. Watch the temperature
  4. Remove all the torches except some
  5. Reobserve the temperature.

I had the same problem, in various servers and I don’t have a low-end pc either, so maybe it’s actually a “bug”?

Dynamic light sources have always been a source of hardware strain in games, depending of course on their implementation, the engine used and its specific limitations and a host of other factors.

2 Likes

Limit your framerate. See #4 below.

There are 4 causes of processor overheating:

1. Ambient temperature and/or temperature offset over specification. (You’d know, because humans can’t survive in such temperatures for more than a few minutes without protective equipment).
  2. Thermal regulation failure or inadequacy. (This is a compound issue—pun a little intended—and while it IS extremely common—status quo, in fact—for stock heat sinks and fans to be somewhat- to moderately-inadequate for a processor’s normal full-load operating conditions, that inadequacy alone is unlikely to cause a bonafide overheating problem unless it goes unaddressed for quite some time or else is accompanied by cause # 1, above. Additionally, if said processor(s) only overheats sometimes while under load, this is not the primary cause of overheating).
  3. Input power thermal load over specification, i.e. overvoltage from incompetent overclocking or a power supply/motherboard malfunction. (You’ll either know how to check this already, or you won’t have any idea at all. If the latter, don’t try to do so yourself - or you’re likely to do some actual damage. This is rarely an issue if your processor(s) in question works normally at all, under any circumstances).
  4. Processor work load over thermal regulation capacity, i.e. excessively-simple rendering loads performed at excessively-high framerates, broken calls to low level instruction sets, etc. (This is EXTREMELY common on modern hardware. Your CPU and GPU both do a lot of work in concert for rendering tasks; when they are allowed to do this work as quickly as they possibly can, overheating is the expected and normal result. Thus, limit their maximum workload to slightly above what is actually required for the desired task).

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.