Transfers put on hold

Yeah, well, no one is dissing anyone or arguing so…

@CodeMage
COMAL is interesting. It’s pretty ancient. I first looked into it on the CBM’s Pet and then later the C=64.

PROMAL was great for me because I could call disk based assembler coded function libraries and incorporate them into the language. It was great for graphics (GUI) and game development but I never created anything commercial with it. I think I remember hearing that GEOS for the C=64 was created with it.

1 Like

Indeed, but I dont flag stuff…I see no point. But it raises eyebrows to whom does flag other topics, when this discussion has gone off the rails.

True enough, but as Codemage points out, it is flagworthy (being offtopic)

Anyways, I dont want to derail the topic of Transfers. I just had to point this out.

3 Likes

Topic is pretty much dead as we wait so idle chat untill then. I only flag stuff that is just personal insults.

2 Likes

Sure… And also like he says, I wouldn’t care if they were flagged - they’re still readable by the intended audience by clicking on the “show hidden” link. When I buck the flags is when there’s nothing hateful contained in it and the info or opinion should IMO be readable to all - even the lurkers who aren’t high enough level to click said link.

As for who does it, I have no idea. Probably more than a few people - whoever is bothered by it or is using them to silence others so they can own the narrative. I’ve flagged a few this month but they were clearly spam IMO. Before that though, like, pretty much zero. All the ones personally attacking me for example are flagged already before I can even read them.

I suspect you know what the point is, but disagree with it. :wink:

I obviously don’t have a list of people who do, but I know at least one person on that list:
obi-wan-well-of-course-i-know-him-hes-me1

I flag off-topic stuff occasionally. When the main topic is going strong and someone is derailing it with off-topic stuff – especially when it’s pretty obvious that the off-topic derailer doesn’t give a shіt about the original topic or whatever is being currently discussed – then I flag the off-topic post(s) and move on. If others happen to share my perception, they might end up contributing their flags and the post(s) might end up being hidden.

And that’s the whole point of the flags in the first place: give the community a chance to moderate the discussion and try to keep it at a certain quality.

I engaged in this off-topic conversation here because the original topic looks deader than a Norwegian Blue that has been nailed to its perch. There might be others in the community who disagree and think that my off-topic posts should be removed from this discussion. If those people flag my posts, they will get hidden so anyone interested in the topic can skip them, and I’ll have a clear signal from the community to stop derailing the topic.

Honestly, I’ve never understood this ongoing controversy about flags. People cry “censorship” despite posts being perfectly readable, or they talk about flagging as something “dishonorable” or “cowardly”, or proudly boast that they never flag people.

This is neither the first nor the last public forum I’ve seen that has community moderation tools, but it’s certainly the only one I’ve seen where people keep making so much noise about the tool itself.

Like any moderation tool, it can be abused. When that happens, the abuse needs to be dealt with. It’s as simple as that.

EDIT: Also, there’s this weird misconception among people here that only “offensive” or “insulting” stuff is (or should be) flagged. I can only surmise this comes from people who have never even pressed the flag button out of curiosity, or they would have seen that there are several distinct reasons to flag a post.

Yes, I know what the flags are, and what they are for.

I just dont bother to flag stuff, because I really just dont care if someone derails topics, says mean things or anything like that. If others want to, by all means, moderate to your hearts content.

Depending on how technical you want to get, you just broke your rule, and it should techinically get flagged .(You did admit to it, so this isnt a gotcha or anything). I guess people could just wait till a topic is at about 4-5 days old without replies to converse about off topics.

But, again, the point of my first reply was just to notice how a thread got derailed, not flagged, and no cares in the world. Some of the same people do flag and complain in other threads.

I’ll go back to the shadows and keep watching for other fun facts to point out.

Apparently, that indifference only applies to using flags yourself, not to how others choose to use them, hence this sudden discussion about how the topic got derailed without being flagged. :slight_smile:

No. I didn’t. I broke a forum rule, technically, which is why it’s flag-worthy, but I didn’t break my rule. My rule is “if the original/main topic is still going strong and someone derails it with off-topic stuff, flag that”. The original topic looked dead, so I didn’t feel bad about going off topic.

And the only way you could have misinterpreted what you quoted me saying is because I wrote “looks dead” instead of “looked dead”. Or rather, that’s the only way if we discard purposeful misinterpretation from the available options :wink:

But it’s not a gotcha or anything :laughing:

Fun fact: it’s easier to say you’re bothered by community moderation than to pretend you don’t care but jump at every opportunity to portray it in negative light :wink:

Merely pointing out that when another forum user complains of a group of people that seem to go out of their way to flag their posts, may indeed be right.

Wrong word choice on my part, but end result is the same.

Nope, merely pointing out an observation. Thats why I said that I dont flag, nor care if it is flagged by others.

Im not bothered by it. I do like to point out funny things I see.

I don’t see how you get from “there’s a discussion with lots of off-topic posts that didn’t get flagged” to “there’s a group of people that goes out of their way to target a specific individual with flags”.

But sure, if there’s someone claiming that, they may be right. I don’t know of such a group myself, but it’s kinda hard to prove a negative, so I can’t really say “no, they’re wrong, I have proof that no such group exists”.

Then again, posting theories about shadowy groups of people doing this or that seems to be a popular pastime on these forums. It wouldn’t be a normal week here without at least one conspiracy theory. :man_shrugging:

Depends on what you consider the end result to be here.

Likewise. Unfortunately, even the most hilarious stuff stops being funny with enough repetition.

The first discussion I had with you where you ignored all nuance was perplexing and frustrated. After a while it got funny. Now it’s just … your thing, I guess.

Hey! I’m not that obvious.

2 Likes

Ummm… Sooo…

10 For X=0 to 15
20 poke 53280,X
30 poke 53281,X
40 next X
50 goto 10

Give it a try - it’ll make you happy! :smiley:

1 Like

That goto hurts! Will it never end?! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Eternal happiness is the goal, what can I say?

2 Likes

Easy. Im a person who daily frequents the forums, as Im sure are alot of people. I see threads where the regulars comment, discuss and name call people, and flags get tossed like a greek salad. Then I see threads with the same regulars doing essentially the same thing, and not one flag to be seen.

I merely point out how its possible for people to form the idea of a group of people (not necessarily an actual formed group, but rather a general “group” of regular) that seem to flag things consistently. Maybe Im the only one to see this, but after watching the forums for over 4 years…you notice things. Bottom line, do I care? No. But I do love to point things out.

2 Likes

Is it bad as the OP that I’m totally fine with the off topic stuff? Meh.

3 Likes

Well I love side topics in threads because I get bored easily… remember, I’m the rabid acid squirrel?

1 Like

There are some that are thinned skin no doubt but we all have boundaries and these should be respected if they aren’t disabling the discussion. If they are, human torch time and flame on.

1 Like

Funny. I also spend a lot of time on the forums and I see that, too. I also see threads where regulars participate and flags don’t “get tossed like a greek salad”. I also see threads where regulars get flagged, sometimes rightly so, sometimes for stuff that makes no sense. I’ve even seen flags in threads where regulars haven’t even posted anything.

I’ve seen flags abused against the non-regulars, and I’ve seen them abused against the regulars. I’ve seen them used responsibly, too.

But I guess it’s more “fun” to “just point things out” selectively.

Oh, I see. You’re “just asking questions here”.

To be fair, I do try to flag things consistently, instead of at random. I don’t just pop into a thread and pick random posts to flag for random reasons. I imagine it’s possible that there’s more than one person like me on the forums. :man_shrugging:

Yep. After watching the forums for a similar number of years, some things are hard to miss. For example, it’s impossible to miss which people specialize in bad faith arguments :wink:

No, no, let’s not bring things like boundaries into this. See, the moderation shouldn’t be about boundaries, or about maintaining the quality of discourse, or anything that requires nuance. Just like the TOS shouldn’t be about sharing the server responsibly with others, or anything that requires distinguishing between the spirit and the letter of the rules. :crazy_face:

No, things have to be simple and clear. It doesn’t matter if you click on a bunch of totally unrelated threads to paste the same unsubstantiated and off-topic complaint about alleged server admin abuse, or if you spontaneously go on an off-topic tangent in a thread that has already gone off-topic before you even started posting in it. Those are exactly the same, and if you treat one case differently from another, you’re a hypocrite. :clown_face:

Since the discussion is no longer on topic and transfers have now been turned off on both official and unofficial servers (more info here), I will be closing this thread.

3 Likes