Truly do not understand the mind set

, ,

That’s a valid point in PvP. Pardon my PvE mentality :slight_smile:

The Khitan DLC, Cosmetics, PvP VS PvE has given me lots to think about…

Unofficial servers are the only way to solve certain problems, such as the cosmetics VS stats conundrum.

Funcom does what it can do, to benefit both PvE and PvP at the same time, which limits PvE. One can cry all one wants to, like adding transmogrification to the base game, but the reality is the base game is to act as a foundation for both PvE and PvP. Funcom cannot add changes that makes sense to PvE, but undermines PvP (and hopefully vice versa…)

Unofficial servers is a way to build upon that foundation. A way to break out of a compromise.

It occured to me that the scope of Funcom seems to be on the game itself, as a foundation, and not as a full service that encompasses regulating our behavior online.

I think official servers are a template of compromise within the context of a foundation. It reflects the scope of Funcom’s responsibilities.

Nothing we say, or suggest is gonna change that foundation once it’s set, because what we want will upset a compromise.

I think that’s what the OP is upset about. That unofficial servers are currently the only avenue of adaptation.

Really can’t see your point here OP.

This kind of model of having a mixture of offline/ private/ dedicated / official servers has been around for as long as I can remember and is in no way unusual. As games age, the official servers usually die down and long term fans continue to run their own dedicated servers or rent private ones. That’s how it works.

I play single player mainly, as I mainly enjoy the crafting and building and aside from recently discovering that this means nobody likes me, for me it’s the best way to play. If I was going to go multiplayer, I wouldn’t touch the official servers with a sh***y stick due to the nature of exploiting and griefing players wanting to ruin things for everyone else, but I respect peoples choice to play how they want to.

If you choose to play on the Official servers then you’ve got to accept that it’s going to be kind of like the Wild West, and it’s just not feasible that it can be policed for exploits and bugs in real time. Bugs get squashed over time but even in games that have been out for many years, exploiters still find new ways to ruin the game.

Nobody’s forcing you to play on official servers but coming on here crying about other players disagreeing with you highly flawed logic and then telling them to gtfo when they challenge you is infantile and pointless. That’s not how forums work.

2 Likes

Yeah, I almost exclusively PVE myself, and have thought along similar lines; it was just something that crossed my mind as I read your post.

But you’re right. For PVE I can’t think of any good reason not to make a server’s backups available to those playing on it (minus admin passwords obviously).

Ideally, it would make a feature to add to the game. Server’s could have an option enabling clients to download backups, if the setting was something like “make backup public after X hours/days/weeks/months” even pvp servers could use it provide some backup without providing recent “intel”.

But I did say “ideally”, obviously there are more important tasks for the devs. Maybe it is something that could be modded?

So I was one of those who said something like that to you. Trolling was not intended if you understood that way I can only excuse myself for it.

I used to play a very old game called “Never Winter Nights” one of the first most successful multiplayer rpg games which offered a similar client/server product system. That only existed for someone that wanted to host its own adventures and play with friends. When I saw how ARK was done and CE I tough about same thing. That was my personal feeling about that.

When you paid for the game, you paid for it. You can play it either offline, online, private or official even if someday they cease to support it. I may have missed it but I haven’t seen anything saying that official servers and support on it was included. While we still have official servers thats part of strategy of showing and promoting the game in the way how it meant to be.

Some people( like you) takes official servers too serious and when I approach to someone by saying “you paid for the product not for the service” I’m trying to tell you that you dont need to threat it as hard as you doing. While a better official support and servers are very desirable it is really disappointing to play a game just to get angry on a official server and get to official forums to complain. When the publisher/studio/adms already stated that they cant or wont give any further support than you already seen.

It matters little to nothing on how they host official servers or how much money they made or how many copies was sold. You joined the ship knowing where it goes and how it navigates, if not, you should know what you’re buying at first place.

If their business model is not good and they should give more support in all plataforms thats a price the studio/publisher/dev team is paying to see. The consequences they should already be happening or will be seen in a near future.

Given how you get angry it looks like you still enjoys the game despite all issues and wants to keep enjoying it. The “rent a server” suggestion comes from it. Private servers are legit as officials are and there is nothing wrong going for it if it wll surface your needs.

I’ve tried to be as friendly as possible and to answer your question on the mind set thing. You’re legit to ask and complain about things. Im not here to troll or censure you or anyone else. But in the end is up to you to get angry and write big text with capitalized words .

Best wishes!

3 Likes

Was not going to post but your attitude towards others whom do not agree with your limited vision and opinion just got me itchy over lunch.

Your statement is complete B.S. and I am calling you on it. CE and both Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 are so similar in base designs. They part on technology and the fact that we cannot paint our own maps in the UE4 toolset (yet). As a DM/GM for many long years did EXACTLY the same thing in CE Early Access. Some really great roleplayers that ACTUALLY text chat their characters…hmm…JUST like NWN1/2 glory days. In fact…more than half of the people I met were FROM NWN1 and 2 (more specifically Haven Server).

Second thing that is aggravating…This is a really good Single Player Game…in fact it is much better than PvP Multiplayer. PvE multiplayer is a frustrating mess when playing Open Online but becomes SOOO much more friendly when a DM/GM/Admin…get this moron…Takes Pride In Making The Server A Delight To Play In. This means a DM that sets up events and only does what a DM is supposed to do/be.

Third thing…YOU paid for a GAME to Play that may be played in Multiple Ways. Online is a Service Provided for free from Funcom that at any time They can pull the plug. You can Still set up your own dedicated server and run it your own method you see fit…with mods…hardcore mode…or vanilla…that is Your Choice. Does not matter whose opinions are on what servers are costing Funcom…that is Funcom’s decision…not yours. Servers have multiple levels from low end cheap to deploy to high end monsters that can eat data like it does not exist…personally I think CE/ARK used the cheaper easy to deploy servers…makes sense. My personal server is very beefy and is now waiting on a stable CE so it can run it for a couple years easy. So stop being a gimme gimme gimme me me me brat and shut the pie hole.

Many players love to play this game single player or small friendly community private server…and yes we even have organized PvP with in place rules…hmmm…Hey…JUST like the NWN1/2 days. Wow…amazing!

You have your opinions…you made the thread to fire us up…and that you did. When you post a thread spouting a bunch of nonsense be prepared for a backlash.

3 Likes

This isn’t possible because it isn’t exactly cheap on that scale. The server I play on costs about $75 a month. If Funcom hosted… say 300 servers (instead of 387, since you’d have increased server size). They’d need to pay $22,500 a month.

Bulk discount is unlikely or to be diminished due to that being 300 dedicated boxes (not virtualized). If they sold the DLC at about 3000 units per month, then they could break even there. Breaking even for a business means either ‘out of the goodness of our hearts’ or going out of business. Even Non-profits and Charities don’t do that.

Funcom isn’t paying for the server either, that’s why they partnered with GPortal. They (GPortal) supply the servers and they pay for them by renting out private servers for a plethora of games, not just conan.

So anyone who sitting around saying Funcom is giving you online play out of their pocket doesn’t what what the fuсk they’re talking about.

1 Like

exactly what I have been saying NO gaming developer who promotes the use of private server hosting pays for their official servers there is always some shady back of the isle hand shacking going on.

Okay, that is a reason.

By discount I meant like eighter a bundle for 30% less or something along the line - for a week at most, maybe a weekend only one - at next big update as well. Not a long or huge one.

And lets say what Ratchet and zaph said is true…
Then I would prefer a sub for a better experience. And on the scale of possibly 200 players per month per server… Wouldn’t even require those usual 13/15 like in other games.
Assuming it’s 200 players for each server → multiplied with your number (never looked the amount of servers up) it would result in even the first euro to suffice, wouldnt it?
This would also mean if every second player on said server you play on would contribute…

I bought this game to play single player all the vast emptiness feels immersive to me.

3 Likes

False.

Finally, the DLCs are paid cosmetic content for the game, which we will also try to release regularly. DLC will help us pay for the official servers and continued development of the game.

you have some internal memo or a receipt to show your proof they are indeed PAYING… no your just running your mouth… doesn’t matter WHAT funcom has said about WHY they are selling DLC’s - it isn’t to pay for the damn servers… its to make MORE money off the game to make their investors happy… and so they continue to make money…

IF they were paying for the 1000’s of servers during EA… there Debt wouldn’t have been dropping like it did… it would have been going up…

if your playing on console… there is no mutliple options when you select to start your own server you just get Gportal… They got SO MANY private servers rented out they RAN out of server space at Gportal last month… So yeah… this partnership is…

ok We get the official servers we need on your low end machines that you can spare… while we direct all traffic for server rentals to you…

If you never did any kinds of sponsorship/partnership or had any company sponsor you/your company you would understand how that kind of partnership works… its massive advertisement… because people that are happy with there Gportal conan server… well they most likely will go back to Gportal after conan is dead and gone.

trust me the official servers are still being paid for… but not by funcom… stop spreading nonsense.

3 Likes

It does matter. If you don’t trust what they say and are still a customer, then why should anyone take you seriously? No one in a right state of mind would continue doing business with a company they don’t trust.

That’s akin to eating at a burger joint where you think they spit in food but you continue to eat there. But you know what? I’ll take you at face value and assume you would do something stupid like that. You refute claims but don’t back up with any evidence. All you do is whine. You whine about the game, you whine when someone doesn’t agree with you, and whine when someone proves you wrong with evidence.

1 Like

I agree. Very frustrated about bugs getting worse. Out pve-c server #1517 is down for the 2nd night in a row. Was stuck at 37/40 saying we were online including myself. We got dc’d and no one could connect. Today 0/40. Server was running on and off for a few hours at a time, then DC’d and locked everyone. #1517 is still down, pretty much unplayable because it resets or freezes up. So what do we do now? 700hrs on the official server and now I can’t even play through the crashing and bugs. Beyond rediculous … It’s been going on before the dlc. But it’s really bad now. With water wells broken, stuff is disappearing like trebs off walls, bodies are even worse to find if you die, 50/50 if you can recover your body now. I’m not sure what happened but the bugs are sure getting worse. I had a better time in beta to be honest. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::rage::exploding_head: Fun con? Not exaggerating it’s literally now UNPLAYABLE ona server I have 700hrs on. For real though​:face_vomiting::nauseated_face:

Everything you say is honest. I noticed on steam forums and here they might have fan boy Schillz or paid trollers that sit here and get the convo off topic and deleted. It’s a sad world when they come here or are paid to get the thread off topic on you and make you look like your ranting when they are the idiots making it harder to move forward with HONEST dialog and feedback that SHOULD BE ADDRESSED. Not, well suck it up pricesss. Can’t stand the kids now a days, mostly brainless cronies & care bear followers. Doesn’t help anything to cheerlead positives, it’s the negatives that need focus because companies will go bankrupt eventually.

This game is a messsssss of bugs right now and NO ONE is gonna be able to prove otherwise because they admit they have a 500 fix patch… 500 bugs :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::mask: and that’s only the ones they will admit they can work on… end of story. Care Bears can stay in the clouds and dab away their issues. Some of us are adult enough to say “ there’s problems here and they need fixed”. And if you can’t handle them being pointed out, that’s on you, not the OP… Troll someone else, his post is for important people like community managers that can make a complete reply…like always “ Yes we are working on it”. Thread closed. :smirk::face_with_monocle: Everything in the middle of this wasted the OP’s time. Sad… really sad.

2 Likes

The charm of the official Funcom forums is, no matter how toxic a topic becomes, it’s still allowed to keep going. It’s up to the players what they make of it.

I for one appreciate that. Wether it’s a good thing or not, respect for free speech is a founding principle of … heh. takes off the uncle sam top hat is a founding principle of being able to run one’s mouth.

1 Like

2 industry firsts:

1. Pay to Lose (Star metal) and Pay to Win (tier 4 doors and frames) roled into one. Pay to Laugh.

2. Early Access DLC. <— Pay to help test their DLC.

To fail so hard is a new historic milestone since the launch week of Anarchy Online.

The only way to get things done in such a short time-frame is to hire poeple without wife or kids, and a Chinese-grade immune system.

So just to get things straight, other folks have to provide proof for their theories, but we’re to trust you and take your speculation at face value?

Seems legit.

2 Likes

All right, boys and girls.

We do understand there is a lot of frustration in this thread. Generally we do let discussions like these stay but I would really like to ask for a little bit of respect for the people working on the game, the people behind the company of the product whose forums you are using and your fellow community members.

I am absolutely reserving the right to delete posts that don’t serve any purpose but to belittle or make fun of someone or something.

I would also like to point out that having a discussion where one side decides from the start that the other is not telling the truth is a mute discussion and doesn’t really serve a point.

To put this to rest. Funcom is indeed paying for all our official Conan Exiles GPortal Servers. :slight_smile:
You are very welcome to quote me on that.

4 Likes