Update and Plans for the Modding Community

honestly if you saw that increase client start up time by 20 second that just mean that we get time to make tea and cookies and other things … as long as the feature is a good one… Would you dev be willing to share what was the feature that you wanted to implement maybe a few of us has some ideas to help?

1 Like

It would be nice to take a look over the UIModule table. Presently, changes on that table might trigger errors, because many systems in the game assume no mod changes it, and if you prevent some modules to be loaded or replace them, it causes crashes, freezes or errors. Eg.: Map Module and Clan Module.

Preventing them from loading or changing them to a custom one brings up a slew of errors that might be mitigated by inserting a clause that verify if they are loaded before using them. We can add those clauses in the mod, but it messes with core files that messes other things up. So if devs were so kind as to do it in the core game files, we would not need to change them and mess it up.

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for posting and more than that, thank you so much for reaching out and asking.

Here are some suggestions from an engineer and technical artist’s perspective: :slightly_smiling_face:

TestLive

What’s on TestLive goes to Live. If it’s not on TestLive it doesn’t go out. That is standard common practice across many engineering release systems.

When you don’t use testlive properly, it causes:

• Throw away all the money in Salaries, Partnerships and infrastructure costs to maintain and run test live.
  • Wasting the time of the players and modders that run test live servers and clients to test features and mods in advance.
  • Cause hot fixes :fire:
  • Unfair to staff, causing pressure, stress and overtime. :slightly_frowning_face:
  • Causes community stress and general negativity :rage:
  • More time, effort and money spent on PR due to last minute changes, causing the hot fix.

Since Conan Exiles is listed as a finished product and Siptah is listed early access, yet the code base is tied together, I for one would be extremely careful releasing anything that affects the base game.

And just pointing out that release rings are fairly common.

1. Canary (enthusists and/or just internal releases)
  2. Dog Food (enthusiasts that like it a little stable)
  3. TestLive (public)
  4. Live (must be stable)

BugTrack System

Where people can enter tickets. Community can vote on bugs, people can see progress. Great way to manage expectations and help set priorities. Would be nice to have an easy way to upload game logs.

An easy way to turn on Verbose logging (server/client) when trying to repo a bug. Maybe some extra Funcom logging. This could be attached to these tickets. So between logs, telemetry and maybe some extra info, it should become easier to understand and track down issues.

Modding Forum

Actual Modders forum here. Then the modding community is here and not scattered, make it much easier for Funcom to reach out and modders to communicate. How to’s and tribal knowledge now becomes internet searchable and easier for modders both new and old to find solutions.

ADDITIONAL REQUEST

PLEASE make the Testlive Update thread limited to testers responses only.
Currently it is so polluted with opinions and requests that the real issues are lost in the noise.

MORE TO CONSIDER

• The Conan Dev Kit is painfully slow to open compared to the Unreal one. Please consider removing the content packs.
  • The point of a pre-production enviorment (TestLive), is to match Live as close as possible. Currently TestLive does not; eg. xbox controller support doesn’t work on TestLive, meaning code is not getting tested.
6 Likes

Yes

You all have done great work with this game, and I do hope to keep seeing additional content added.

It’s great to hear that you will be catering to the modder community a bit more. As a server owner, we’ve had multiple times where we have had to bring our server down for a full week while we wait for modders to update and patch their mods. It’s quite disheartening to have a server wipe sprung on players unexpectedly, also. The big updates really need to have a lot of time in the hands of the modders. What I remember distinctly was a devkit update being pushed out, modders making their compatibility updates, and then the day of 2.1 being released, a new devkit was released and modders had to scramble a second time to fix extensive issues, some of which still remain.

Simply being aware of that, and how servers are being forced to shut down for weeks at a time (and sometimes forced to wipe), will go a long way.

The content being added with each DLC is great. I look forward to a Nord DLC in the future, but I’ll be happy with whatever comes our way. While content and DLC are what fund the game, there are some huge improvements that could be made to the server menu. Server ratings stopped working a long time ago, and it would be great to be able to leave reviews and get the good server more exposure while warning players about poor quality servers with P2W features or community management problems.

1 Like

Sorry but I no longer care, this should have been done long ago.

It isn’t worth it to mod this game anymore I largely agree with ArsGothica, but for me it is too little too late, I can’t see myself working to fix mods I have made for this game(just a few: sorcery & superclasses, winterhlem the first post exile lands full 8km map for conan that siptah broke lol), Hell I don’t even agree with the current direction of the game as it reeks of poor design and balance, check out the discussion on the steam awards if you want an unfiltered view of what people think, it may do you a benefit for your next game.

I just don’t see the incentive why 3 years in I would want to continue to mod a dying game which requires consistent last minute suprise updating, with the base game so lacking in direction that after 3 years it suddenly decides one day something as fundamental as its entire base healing system needs to change or its crafting thrall system.

Are we still in EA with the base game? did siptah change that?

if the game had stable revertible releases(so you could play say earlier versions of conan) instead of a consistent forced patch it may be viable, but I doubt that will be implemented .

I would highly suggest any other modder be very cautionary and think over before making stuff for CE or any other funcom game in the future.

1 Like

honestly its a valid point and frustration but the point is this is the most stable dev kit that I’ve seen and its good to have something fun to work with and experiment with.

Take a break from it. if you got server that want to upkeep the mod that you work on pass along them the mod … i mean there is alway something else to destress onto.

I do agree on one thing just like us modder can alter the game through modding … Funcom should do the same to release experimental mods to allow private server to test them out if they wish and if it polish they keep it the same just say this is the change we want to implement and keep it as such. PC gamer should be entiled that much because after all Funcom … you are playing with people lives and their money some are willing to shell out big money to you guys.

100% + more percent @DrNash. The fact that we’re seeing fundamental core updates to the game is very positive.

Sometimes to add more rooms to the house you have to knock out a few walls, dig up the patio and perhaps crack a window or two. The kids may hate that their playroom has had the old carpets ripped out, the bed condemned, but when the whole thing is done, they may start (grudgingly) seeing the point of all of it and that their new playroom works better and can have more added to it without being a fire hazard. :slight_smile:

Well I understand this reasoning but it only goes to show you have no idea how a Modded server works do you? Heavily modded ones can take heaps longer than that to load. I suggest for a good feature folks that like their Mod experiance will not care about load times half as much as features and stability?

That said this is still a good step forward. But please please please take on bopard what @Krucifear said above. It is a great outline of an effcient process for all this.

This is a tricky topic

On one hand, it obviosuly goes against all fairness of giving an equal playing field for everyone. On the other hand, everyone is allowed to simply play somewhere else. And i can’t even imagine how hard would it be to simply track down and do anything against these servers. Since most use discord, they can simply change to a new IP, transfer data to somewhere else, and inform everyone thorugh discord that they migrated.

Playing devils advocate now, on some places servers are very, very expensive to maintain. My server costed around 20% of a minimum wage salary around where i live, every month (thanks, Brazil economy!). Thats how much we had to pay for a stable 40/40 server. So in the end of the day we would simply use money from donations to keep the server running (yes, i’m one of the “pay 2 win” server owners, we gave thralls and gear to donors. Most people didn’t care and had a clear understanding of our reasoning, so it was somewhat fine. In exchange of this we provided the best admin service possible and constant engagement for the playerbase).

I completely understand that this is not nice for the game or everyone else that doesn’t enjoy the servers that do this, and in another reality where servers were somewhat affordable, i’m sure that many people would not have to do this kind of thing. At least i wouldn’t.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.