Voip breaking conversations (players randomly not able to hear or speak to one another)

This 100% - they should at least try to fix it. It’s clearly broken, the voip isn’t just low quality, which is what they sort of implied on the stream, for some people it isn’t working MOST of the time. It kills the immersion in good RP moments, because of the fix rituals we go through. Nothing like having to uppercut your dying friend, because you can’t hear their last words.

Hopefully, we can get more people in here to speak up!

There is definitely a connection between server performance, and the voip problem, it’s especially bad in the North for people, and I feel like that area is definitely more elaborate detail-wise than the rest of the map.

Honestly, at times, the game feels like it’s held together by rubber bands and bubblegum.

1 Like

I have 2 words for you especially because you are playing on private server.

Use discord!

1 Like

That’s not a solution.

Firstly, in a non-RP sense, it’s not about organizing a group of people that are working together and voiping in a designated voip channel. If it was just about being able to talk with a select group of people, sure, Discord works, but that’s not what we’re talking about here.

It’s being able to talk with strangers that may or may not be in the same discord channel as you. When the voip fails, you can’t interact with them, at all.

As for RP, where you’re trying to tell stories with one another, that doesn’t work either, because again, it’s about organic interactions that happen in game, not in a voip chat where everyone can talk and listen all at once. Also, in most RP servers, using discord in groups is seen as a form of cheating.

It’s about fixing a feature that is broken in the game, and you’re just telling us to use an outside source to resolve it. It seems pretty dismissive of an actual issue in the game, and not really helpful.

That’s like telling someone that is having internet issues at their residence to just go to a cafe and use wifi, because it kind of works, instead of having the ISP fix it.

1 Like

OP 15th May and it’s still an issue, why am I not shocked at this

1 Like

No, this isn’t some solo issue that I’ve been having personally. It’s an issue that has spread across numerous voip-based servers. We have to punch each other, do all kinds of crazy things to get voip to work again.

Please, watch the video at the very beginning of this thread, and you’ll see what is happening. It happens to everyone, at random times, with no rhyme or reason. It’s been a problem since early access launch. You’ll be mid-conversation and the voip will just stop working for certain people. It’s broken. No questions about it.

I get that you guys don’t see it as an issue because it doesn’t pertain to you. You may not use voip or care, but our communities do, and it’s a legitimate bug, and issue. We just want to see it addressed.

I know that broken feature is the issue, but if you wait for voice breaking up in-game, then you will most likely wait for a very long time before it gets fixed (if it gets fixed).
On top of that, games usually have low quality voip.

I do not understand why would use of discord be considered as cheating since everyone can use it.
If RP is important element for people, discord would provide higher quality experience anyway. I have played games in clans which had use of teamspeak (later discord) as mandatory while playing the game.

Don’t get me wrong, but you should not consider that issue is even addressed.

I appreciate the explanation to your response.

I’m guessing you’re not a roleplayer, which is why you don’t understand why having everyone crammed into one voip channel won’t work, or how jarring it would be to constantly have to call someone on discord to have a conversation with them in-game.

How would you regulate who is speaking at the time without some sort of codec/mod?

Roleplaying is about immersion, the proximity feature, and all of that contribute to feeling like you’re existing in a world. Having to stop what you’re doing, hop into discord, find the person that you ran into on discord, and to then call them is not really fixing a problem. If someone comes out with a codec that works with a mod for Conan and discord, that’s definitely a fix, using vanilla discord isn’t.

"On top of that, games usually have low quality voip"

Firstly, that statement about voip in games isn’t true at all, and secondly, Conan’s voip isn’t just low quality, it literally cuts out and stops working. It’s broken.

I have a question for you.

What is your goal in commenting in this thread? Is it upsetting you that we’re expressing concern over a feature that is broken, and specifically affects the RP community and those that use the in-game voip? So, what if it never gets fixed? At least we pointed it out, and tried. You could say the same about every thread that someone has posted in here. The purpose of this forum is to post about bugs that we deal with in the game, that’s what we’re doing here.

I’m trying to understand your purpose in commenting, you seem to want to be contentious about something that doesn’t affect you at all. You’re not adding anything of value to the conversation by telling us that it won’t be fixed. We’re all pretty aware of the fact that it may never get fixed, but as the old saying goes, ‘The squeaky wheel gets the oil.’ - we’re just doing our part. It’s up to Funcom to do the rest.

My comment on low quality voip in games is meant for games that have working voip, and that is true, especially when you compare it to dedicated voip.

You pointed issue back in May, it is still broken and when you get solution you consider it cheating.
Discord have ability to lock channels to push to talk, it has overlay as well and you can join in channel and stay there as long as you are in game. That would not break immersion so I have very good idea what I am talking about. Discord is already integrated in your game if you want it to be (I am not sure about other voip overlays if they work with conan or their channel abilities, even steam itself have group chat these days).

It is simple, make it mandatory on server and people who do not want to join, they are not even worth being part of the community at all because they will break immersion you want to have. That sounds harsh and I probably sound like a jerk, but there is no other way for me to tell you that.

Voip braking up affects everyone, not just role players. Am I affected by it personally? Not that much, because I use alternative all the time

I don’t get it why are you making it personal. I will write about my issue{s} in patch notes which is dependent if I played the game with it or not. They are locking threads after 7 days so there is no point in making threads over and over again.

I will not post in this personal thread again. I think I made my point

It’s not so much that I’m taking it personal, it’s that you’re basically policing the thread, and acting like we shouldn’t bother posting about it. You don’t think it will ever be fixed, that’s fine, but our communities would like it to be fixed. Also, the thread has existed since May, it’s not being reposted.

You still don’t really get the issue either, which is another point of confusion. I can’t really explain why your solutions won’t work more than I already have, you’d have to play on these servers to understand. It’s not just about the server rules.

I mainly just want to keep this thread on topic. It’s a bug. It should be fixed. That’s why we’re here.

1 Like

The voip cutting out is a known issue across entire communities. It really isn’t an issue that just that Breaaaad is having. I have also experienced it on a grand and continuous scale and, while I can understand how it does not affect PVP servers or solo play servers, it certainly is crippling to Roleplay servers… which do represent a fair amount of the Conan community. The actual issue with the voip is that sometimes (often, in fact) people can not hear each other with the voip… a group of 5 may only hear 3 of the total people talking and in that… it may not even be the same three hearing each other… it makes conversation… not just difficult… but impossible at times.

Now, normally I would say… ok this game isnt made with Roleplayers in mind as an expected demographic of players… however, when you load the game “Roleplay” is actually in the list of options for play style. So, with that said, the Roleplay community voice (no pun intended) should be heard and responded to in a productive way.

Simply stating that an issue that one RPer has voiced about could be nothing more than people “not wanting to talk to him” is really just an unproductive and rude response.

I have been RPing on Conan since it was released. I bought it on day 1. I’m not new to this game… and the voip cutting issue has been present since day 1. Now, if the real issue is that Funcom doesnt have an answer because of game limitations… or code limitations… then please just say that. It’s ok to “not know” how to fix something right now.

I just wanted to say, I have also had this issue happen a multitude of times. Breaaaad…you aren’t crazy. It has happened to a lot of RPers. Anyone who thinks it isnt happening… look up any of the RP servers for Conan and watch the streamers… it wont be long before you hear this:

Man 1: “I’m sorry is this person speaking? Can anyone hear them?”
Man 2: “I can’t but I can hear you.”
Woman 1: “I can hear them but i cant hear Man 1. Can you Man 2?”

Rip Immersion. Rip RP. PVP? This is the issue.

3 Likes

I bought Conan Exiles day 1 of it EA release and have been love in the game ever since. That being said VoiP is horrible and that is fact. It NEEDS to work because it is part of the game, it’s there for you to use it, doesn’t matter if it’s for RP reason’s or Single Player and PvP. That is like buying a new car but the radio doesn’t work. Do you just find an alternative to it or you take it back to the seller? You can’t just use Discord or other programs it needs to be fixed. And I understand the different point of views and people coming for different communities. Some are bothered by it more some less. I come from an RP community. I can’t even explain the frustration when juicy RP is flowing and all of a sudden you can’t hear or speak to anyone. The same way hackers killed the game for all the PvP players, VoiP is doing it to our communities. I can’t believe this is not getting the right amount of attention like all the other issues. Hayborian Age RP Server was the number one Conan Server for a very long time. And it still gets a pop of 70/70. Other RP Servers as well. This just shows despite the horrible VoiP people still love the game and are struggling to play it. Many gave up and are not touching it until VoiP is fixed. I have seen Breaaaad fight for this a very long time and not just here. Just look at the date this topic was started. More people should’ve responded and brought this to Funcom’s attention including me. Despite what they have said in the stream we still have hope and need it to be fixed for the sake of our communities and the game itself!

2 Likes

The fact this has been an issue for so long is a joke. I like many others have this issue and it is not rare, its every play session, and a number of times.

I dont know if the dev team are incompetent, lazy or just don’t care. But any company that openly says “We have no plans” to fix broken aspects of our game are hacks and have proven they do not care about their game or their communities.

Do the minimum to fix it, do the max to keep people buying.

Before this game launched Funcom lent on the RP community, claiming they take roleplay communities into consideration when making the choices for there game. They use those communities to showcase there game everytime there is something new and when the RP community asked for a simple fix to a bug thats been there for…I dont even know how long and for RP, is a game breaker, they just shrug them off. “Its not a big deal” Way to make a community feel used.

And lets be real. It isnt that hard to figure out. VOIP has been a thing in video games since 2004 maybe before and while some games dont have the best sounding VOIP, they still have working VOIP.

Almost every game this day and age comes with VOIP, its not new, its not hard to do. So why? WHY? cant you guys at Fraudcom get it fixed. Like I said before. Are you incompetent? Lazy? Just don’t care? Or because it’s something you cant milk for coin not worth your time?

Either way, this part of the game is broken, if Funcome dont think so, they are lying. It is broken, get it fixed. You arn’t in EA anymore.

2 Likes

Thats bs. Discord is not the solution. VoIp is a 20 year old tecnology.
15 yeras old games have better voIP than Conan. It’s not a “complicated technology”. Funcom are lazy, or they dont whant to use any money on it

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty sad there is no plans to improving the BROKEN voip. Not the bad voip, but actually BROKEN voip. It gets in the way of most interactions in game, and will be the death of the RP communities playing Conan. Which saddens me, I love the game, love it for RP, i know many others who would play it but decide not to because of the VoIP. Soon I will stop playing it myself, You can only put up with it for so long. Summary, Fix VoIP, or Game dies for the RP community, and everyone will move on from it.

2 Likes

The most fusturating thing about the voip is that i have to spend 5-10 minutes sitting down or punching a wall or another player to get the VOIP working for almost every single person I meet. Sometimes that doesn’t even work. It’s so broken and is really disheartening to know that its not even on the radar of being fixed. its not like were asking for new features, we just want voip to work reliably .

2 Likes

I stoped right before the first dlc. I got it, but I haven’t played since there is no point. I’m a social gamer, but I cant talk to anyone, so whats the point?
I doubt I will get any more dlc’s before its fixed

1 Like

Just adding in my support for a voip fix! (pardon my bad wording)

Very frustrated with its current state and what seems to be an attempt to ignore the fact it needs to be fixed. It is not buggy it is -broken-, and has become more so as other things are added to the game.

It used to be just a handful of people here and there had the issue(from my experience), and now it seems constant, there are moments when you finally are able to hear someone(after 10 min of messing around to get things to work), then you lose them again in the next 10. There is a constant struggle to hear your fellow rpers, and there should not be.

Conan is an amazing base for RP, it feels unique, and has so much unused potential to further provide better rp experiences(and game experience in general), but without properly working VOIP it is becoming impossible to continue to enjoy the game, even should other things be added at this point.

If the company does not have the ability to fix the voip or make one of their own, could they not consult with an outside source to get this fixed? Kickstarters? There are many options to help get things fixed and or funded if the issue is monetary, so why has nothing been done in all the this time?

In short: Funcom please quit pushing this aside, it is vital to RP communities and it needs to be fixed, it is a much larger part of the game then many seem to realize.

1 Like

please do fix the voip. The game is great for RP. This feature lets it down.

1 Like

I’ve been gone for a while and I’ve been catching up on the forums this week. I am not 100% up to speed about the discussion internally but I wanted to write a quick answer:

It’s very clear that the RP community is very passionate about this and understandibly so. The RP community is also a very important and crucial part of the overall player base. I’ll be getting back to the team and let them know, as we did before, why this is important to you and important for your experience with the game. At the very least I’ll try to get you a final answer.

In the past, the technical challenges as well as resources it would take away from fixing other pressing and prioritised issues was the main reason that influenced decisions on this topic.

2 Likes