Weapon/Hotbar Swap Bug?

Small bit of ‘the f-word that for some reason I’m not allowed to say’ from having just played South Africa…

When you finish using something that gives you temporary abilities (for example, the rocket launcher), it doesn’t put your weapons back in the weapons slot (they remain in your inventory).

This was particularly a pain in the Wrath of the Dawn mission. After I’d cleared the area of blooded using the rocket launcher, I went straight into the fight with Shub-Therion unarmed which didn’t end well.

I’m aware this is mostly down to me not paying attention to it happening, but I’m 90% sure this behaviour is different to previous missions I’ve played

1 Like

That is not what usually happens. Did you make sure to have some free space in the inventory. Game uses I believe 1-2 inventory spaces to swap things around which can cause problems.

1 Like

Sort of.

On my alt, weapons are re-equipped. Every time, without fail.
Getting up after the filth wave from Shub stunned me and I lose the rocket launcher ? Weapons re-equipped.
Delivering the stolen corn and losing the spade ? Weapons re-equipped (and then replaced by fists for …)
Beating up Thato ? Weapons re-equipped.
Cleaned the 4th hut and losing the broom ? Weapons re-equipped.
Even after leaving the gym, my weapons are put back in.

However, on my main I have to do it manually. Also each and every time.

I’m still drawing a blank as to why. I went through the settings, played with various weapons, tried to check if displaying weapons mattered or not … I cannot find anything that would explain the difference.

And no, inventory space is never an issue for me.

1 Like

Yes, I had inventory space available each time it happened. (about 7-8 slots in the time mentioned above)

Also in response to Svella, this happened on my sort-of-alt account (i.e. it’s the second character I made, but ended up doing a much better job than my ‘main’, so it became my new main!). But even on this same account, I’m sure it’s automatically re-equipped me before.

I have the same issue as aliceh and Svella and my inventory definitely had space, as I usually have at least 30-35 free slots, so it doesn’t appear to be an issue with inventory space.

Is anyone else using BooBuilds, or a similar build manager? Perhaps it’s tied to how the builds work. That’s the only thing I can think of.

I don’t use BooBuilds, just load all my builds from the built in thing and my weapons reload automatically as long as I do the mission normally (not messing with manual weapon swapping or teleporting out)

Not here either. The only mods I use are EffectsUI, Lorehound and the RP mod. And the only one of those I can see potentially affecting things is Effects UI. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try disabling that and see if the same happens.

I use BooBuilds and it’s never been an issue with my weapons nor my alts.

Hey all, moving this to an official bug report topic instead of having it be a part of the feedback megathread.

Thanks Andy!

Also, I tested this without EffectsUI installed and it made no difference, so unlikely to be related to that

I have a similar, but opposing problem. It might have started when I went to lairs while pausing Dawn’s Harvest at “get the tools” goal + having Cult of Personality on the same goal.
Usually I manually unequip my weapons before doing every daytime mission in New Dawn, and then re-equip them manually. This way my weapons stay in my weapons inventory bag. Game remembered I had nothing in my hands when taking a spade/broom/boxing and left me with nothing in them when ending the mission.
However, after doing the aforementioned, the behaviour switched. It now re-equips the weapons that were last equipped every time mission-specific weapon gets uneqipped. I.E. not what was in slots during taking the mission-related weapon, but what was last in those slots.

^^ that is peculiar, i might see if I can replicate that one.

Yeah, annoying and disappointing end to this mission. Has happened on my initial run and repeat, and unless the intention is to force you to run away, or die, definite bug.
This thread also targets the other major mission issue I see in New Dawn, whereby finishing a side mission with tools i.e. collecting corn, sweeping with broom, removes the tool from character rendering the main mission impossible to be completed without starting all over again.

Perhaps just allow the tools to be available for collection for the entire time those missions that require them are active.

And with the rocket launcher… perhaps in addition to the large knock back that removes it from your inventory, perhaps cease combat here, so weapons can be re-eqipped.

Edit: This bug seems to occur when the last mob killed triggering boss is defeated at the boss spawn.

Even seven months after the release of New Dawn, at that point my alt’s weapons are put back in place while for my main they stay in the inventory.

Always.

It has something to do with the character data. What, I still don’t know.

Right. The bug still occurs, at least the fail to re-equip weapons part. Though as long as you’re not immediately forced into combat with the boss you can still manually equip them rather than have a suicide run.

Moving the mob away from the gate / boss spawn point may bypass weaponless boss encounters, but would not actually address the underlying bug itself.