What is this? :))))) On official Siptah :)

I have just logged in and when i checked who is online that is what i get…There are other players on the server, none going by that name :))

That’s been in the game for ages. It’s the default text. The game displays it until it receives the correct information from the server. It’s probably busy getting all of the more important stuff from the server first, such as the building pieces and the placeables around you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is what im seeing everytime i loging in. since 1.5 years of playing
This is completely normal hehe, its just while the game still loading so it dont present to you the players. Well this is at least what i think.
Just give it some time, load the game and you will see it gone and see the player list like regular.

1 Like

kinda scared me at first, i restarted and was all fine again
:))

1 Like

The server is loaded with world of warcraft players… look out for cartoons.

2 Likes

You don’t even need to restart. Just close the player list and reopen it later. Eventually it’ll load the correct data :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am all too familiar with this. Whether you see it or not depends entirely on your internet connection.

If I log onto the official servers with my crappy home internet I get WMWWWWWWWWWWWWOW and The Amazing Spiderguild. Additionally, it takes forever for the rocks and trees to disappear from where they have been built over. It can take between 5-20 minutes for the info to correct itself.

But if I use a gaming VPN, or somebody else’s internet, the Player List populates with the correct information almost instantly. Rocks and trees disappear from the building within 1-2 seconds.

1 Like

VPN is short for virtual private network. To keep this really simple, it basically allows you to pretend your computer is in a different location. For example, I could connect a VPN to Germany and as far as any services or websites I access are concerned, that’s where I’m at even though I’m really in Canada or Australia or wherever.

This adds a layer of privacy and potentially allows access to sites and services you normally couldn’t, which is especially handy if you happen to live in one of the more oppressive places on the planet. VPNs have other uses, but for most laymen, that’s it’s primary function.

As far as something like that helping your connection is concerned, it really depends on where and why the bottleneck is occurring. It won’t help at all if the bottleneck is between you and your VPN. Like say your neighbor just put in a new fence without checking to see where the fiber optic cable was.

But lets say you lived in California and in order to connect to the CE servers your connection gets routed through North Dakota, but there’s something in North Dakota causing problems with your connection. Hypothetically, you could connect to a VPN in Florida and from there connect to the CE servers, completely bypassing North Dakota.

2 Likes

For me, it doesn’t improve anything. The VPN can be misleading, when running a “speed test” it only shows how fast the connection is from the VPN to the site running the test, and it shows results faster than what I have.

I also don’t agree on the privacy part, since trust needs to be established with the VPN provider, they are getting a full copy my entire internet traffic.

Yeah i noticed it only happens on servers that have alot of building on them :classical_building:

Pretty much, though it does in fact involve privacy from governments as well, depending on circumstances. VPNs are the virtual equivalent of having a middleman to conduct business deals. As long as the middleman doesn’t reveal the identity of the person or group he’s working for, then privacy is maintained. But if your middleman is untrustworthy, he could give up that information to whoever asked for it rendering the whole process moot.

There are lots of VPN’s out there, that do exactly what Glurin describes, and many of them are free. But what you want to look for specifically is a GAMING VPN.

The main purpose of a gaming VPN is to route you through the best internet nodes with the lowest latency. You’ll have to pay for it though. Free and non-gaming VPN’s aren’t set up for latency in mind.

It makes a huge difference for me. Like you, I thought my internet was the bottleneck. But it works wonders.
Imagine the Gportal servers are in a building across the street from you. But your internet provider sends all your traffic to Florida, and then Maine, before routing it to the place you want to go. And you’re on the west coast. You get terrible latency.
Turn on the gaming VPN, set it to a server that’s close to you, and the connection is more like your house → VPN server → Gportal server. You get excellent latency.

Keep in mind that if you already have an awesome internet connection, a gaming VPN does little to help you. If I play Conan Exiles at somebody else’s house I don’t need to use the VPN at all.

I found this list of VPN’s with a quick Google search. Remember, it’s LATENCY you are looking for when gaming (The right column). NOT Upload/Download speeds.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.