What should PVP be like?

What about out of raidhours? U cant use thralls. U cant kill the horse super easy either. And we talkng about PVP thralls should not even be included for PVP they should be a helping hand defending base or do PVE stuff.

One of the asks in my post above is for Raid to be returned to 24/7. Back when it was switched, it was pretty much thrust on veteran players who were like “wat.” In fact, at the time I voiced concern that this one change would damage PvP irreparably.

Every time I say this, post this, or type this, my friends generally all come out with “but but but nobody has time to defend 24/7 and the game will die.” To them I say not true.

The most insidious aspect of PvP is that nobody respects other people’s property. Nobody. Back before the Raid change, there was not one single opportunity to climb all over my stuff because you couldn’t get close to it. Now, you can basically scout and recon everything about your enemy prior to Raid time.

That has built a systemic disrespect for other people’s bases, and is the single greatest reason for why PvP is in a bad state. On my very favorite server, 289, the act of trespass was enough to get you ruined. Let’s return to respectfulness again!

5 Likes

IT was removed because people would leave thralls in open bases (pre-gas arrows) and people would gas them with orbs. But in reality, all people had to do was put thralls in deeper/smarter areas of the base. But instead it was removed to prevent offline killing of thralls. We can have offline raiding, but if one can figure out how to get in your base and kill your thralls was some how too toxic???

Instead of flag placements, the religious structure can be used. If you upgrade the religious piece to max you get flagged for pvp war mode. That way you don’t need a totally new mechanic that is not orthogonal to this idea. If you let the religious piece remain T1 or T2 without further upgrade, then you are not flagged.

1 Like

Crom would be displeased with me if I made him a Altar =/

3 Likes

You will hate me for this :smiley:

But you know me :slight_smile:

Q: What should PVP be like?

This:

But they could take a look at combat mechanics from LO:

7 Likes

Good old times before they break the game.

#rollbacktonovember2018

3 Likes

Ohhhh I love how it runs on pc :heart_eyes: can’t do that on Xbox … change weapons that quick and roll and lots of players … server would have a heart attack

1 Like

That was fun to watch will have to watch the rest.

1. Attempt to create tiers of balanced weapons. Meaning that there would be a bow, a set of daggers, a sword, a warhammer, etc…all with the same DPS. This would allow for more varied battles, instead of everyone running around with spears. Battles would be a lot more fun with a diverse set of weapons being brought to the fight.
  2. Create a reason to fight, in PvE-C. This game mode needs more love. For many of us, this mode is the only option for enjoyable PvP, but you need a reason to fight, without it just being to kill for the sake of killing. The reason we need this, is because we don’t have the time to devote to base defense every single day.
  3. Aggressively deal with cheaters. Create a reputation of dealing with cheaters in a brutal fashion. Create a wall of shame for those caught cheating. Post not only their in game name, but their Steam handle, as well.
  4. Finally, create a game where your defeat is not hard-coded into the game. No matter the equipment the other guy has, and no matter his level compared to yours…superior skill should allow you to win. This game, like so many other survival games, allow people to progress to the point where they can run roughshod over lower leveled players, and or gain equipment that makes them unbeatable. The melee should be about more than just clicking your mouse button. Directional strikes, feints, and parries, should be part of the combat, and no equipment should give so much advantage that no skill, can defeat high skill, just because of the equipment.
1 Like

I’d say PvP needs to be removed completely from PvE servers, for one. No special times when it’s allowed, just 100% gone.

As for PvP servers, like I said recently, they need to be setup the way some other MMOs do PvP stuff.

1. No thralls allowed.
  2. PvP server uses teams, PvP is only allowed when each team is full.

As I suggested, the PvP servers need to be setup like this.

Each server has settings. # of clans, # of members per clan.
So if there are two clans and 5 members per clan, that means you need 10 active players for PvP to take place. No solo clans.

Setup period has people unable to craft or build anything. It’s just to join the clan.
Build period starts when both clans are full. It’s a race to farm gear and build a stronghold. Say for a week.
Combat period starts after the Build period ends. Full on PvP/Raiding for a period of time.
After the Combat period is over, the server is wiped, and everyone remakes a character and Setup period begins again.

It all boils down to skill and experience. You start at a low level for every new PvP “season” and have to earn your way back up. You don’t simply get to reach max level one time and then always be able to abuse the low level characters.

I agree with most of what you say. But #4, we should not just throw away the skill of farming, crafting. There some skill if you want to do it right. But there should definitely be some balance between prepping for wars/battles, and just stock piling an insurmountably resource advantage to the point servers die off for months on end. That is why everything on PVP servers should have a decay. The idea should be build up to fight, not hoard. Makes raiding also worth more if you get “less” decayed loot when you do it.

1 Like

DPS is only one reason to choose a weapon. A spear has a reach advantage over daggers, so if they both had the same DPS, the spear would always be a superior choice. A bow would be even stronger because you’d do the same damage from far away.

Other weapons are better at piercing armor than others. but may do less damage against unarmored targets. Or they have a wider attack arc to strike multiple opponents, whereas another weapon could do very focused damage against a single target.

If you want variety, you need to accept variety. That means that all weapons are good at something but no weapon is the best at everything.

2 Likes

nice

Weapons should have perks. You shouldn’t be able to swing all ■■■■■ nilly and add bonus status effects from start. Players should invest time into learning a weapon. Same with armor. This will make pvp more interesting.
PvP is all about counter play. If players have equal value of gear and equal perks it should be about skill, not about what item you have. Allow items to be drastically unique to allow players to build uniquely.

The mechanics are already in place. Most weapons have various combos. Just unlock combos in pieces. Status effects should be prized reaches of time invested.

Armor should provide different kinds of resistences to different effects. No one should be able to roll far in heavy armor. Give light armor more roll distance. Allow medium to do a lil of both.

There used to be skill in PVP now its just pointless and feels borish bring back the old meta and u will see an increase in ur player base because all the old pvpers might come back.

Please read my discussion on “ Drop backpack Implementation” it will revive pvp. Also allure short attention span a players which means more chance to pvp. Ya?

All I can say is that there is a lot to learn from Darksouls pvp. One the best balance Inhave ever seen

However they do it, they simply need to make it such that there isn’t a clear cut Meta. I hate games where everyone is running around with the same stuff. One things these games always get wrong is that they always make a spear a two handed weapon. Ever hear of the Spartans? And every other army that used spears, with a large shield? Spears should have reach, but they should be slower to use, and once somebody is inside the danger zone the spear should be useless. Rolling with the spear should also be disabled…at least spear and shield together.

I had invited a friend to the game, and before he even downloaded the game, he learned how simplistic and dumb the melee combat is. So he got a refund without even downloading.

Should farming be a thing? Sure, but it is 1,000 times too important in this game, to the point that it is pointless to even play, once other people are well established on the server. Your fortunes rest entirely on how much the other people will leave you alone, and allow you to build up. It takes way too long to build up, and once you are built up, it gives you way too much advantage over other people who are not as built up. This gives entirely too much advantage to the who established clans.

We were the Alpha on a server, because the Alpha had become inactive. We maintained Alpha status until almost all in the clan stopped playing. Went from 10, to 2. And then another aggressive clan came in, built up, and destroyed our empty base.

I am now playing Last Oasis. More fun in combat. Less emphasis on hours played, more emphasis on skill, since it uses directional combat, with striking, feinting, and blocking. We have PvP every single day.

I don’t want to play a game where I am at a disadvantage against somebody who plays 10 hours a day, when I only play 2 or 3. Most people are tired of that. It’s a failed idea. One that looked good on paper, when we were all playing things like Morrowind, and thought it would be more fun as Multiplayer. Bring a mirror image of the way you have to spend so much time building up, to a multiplayer game is always going to be a failed idea, because it gives way too much advantage to established clans on a server. It makes time totally trump skill. That’s only fun for those who can spend hundreds of hours per month, in game, and play every single day.

My favorite aspect of Last Oasis…I can pack up my crafting base into my Walker, and upload the Walker to the Lobby, before I log off. Even if we are going into combat, I upload my farming walker, with the base, to the lobby, and download a battle walker, or join as crew on somebody else’s walker. So much fun not losing all your work just because an alpha attacks.