What was your first introduction to the Conan Universe?

Mine was with the movies. After that I read some of the stories (not much of a reader myself). For me the best was the Scarlet Citadel.The way the story was written made me feel like I was trapped with Conan in this weird and dark place full of strange and dangerous creatures. Amazing work that got me interested in Conan, can’t recommend it enough.

Movies here too and then the game. I didn’t get into reading any of the Conan stories til later.

Would you recommend any of the stories?

This game is what got me into the world of Hyboria. The movies with Arnold were fun too. The most recent movie was a dud. The books are good I hear but I’ve yet to read any of them.

I’m sorry to say but the last Conan movie is for me a guilty pleasure. I know most people hate it with every fiber of their being but I think it was entertaining. It just needed more snake people. lol

1 Like

I would recommend them yes. One thing to keep in mind that Howards writing style is very 1930’s and might not flow like a modern book written today. It’s kind of like reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy today, very word heavy and very descriptive with the language.

In addition to Howards works; other authors have written Conan stories as you can see here:

and here:

In addition Conan’s been big in Comic Books from Marvel and Dark Horse and those are a fun read too.

Me too. I find Arnold’s hard to rewatch, but this last one’s fine.

1 Like

Very cool I will take a look! Thank you!

For me it was this series of paperbacks, published in the US from 1967 and in Germany from 1970 to 1972. The R.E.Howard stories were completed and brought into chronological order by L.Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter:

Fun fact: The German covers (somehow Frazetta-like) were drawn by Herbert Bruck, who, as “Johnny Bruck”, provided the covers for the German SF series “Perry Rhodan” for decades.

BTW: At www.findagrave.com these memorials can be found:

Robert E. Howard: Robert Ervin Howard (1906-1936) - Find a Grave Memorial

L.Sprague de Camp: L. Sprague de Camp (1907-2000) - Find a Grave Memorial

Lin Carter: Linwood Vrooman “Lin” Carter (1930-1988) - Find a Grave Memorial

H.P. Lovecraft: H.P. Lovecraft (1890-1937) - Find a Grave Memorial

Johnny Bruck: Johnny Bruck (1921-1995) - Find a Grave Memorial

2 Likes

The art is just…
11f

1 Like

My memory is a bit hazy due to the time passed, but my first encounter with Conan would have been either the Arnold movies, or the old black-and-white comics from Marvel. I encountered both at about the same time back in the mid-eighties.

1 Like