When we getting sorcery?

Why would FC need an FX artist to move to Norway anyhow?
That can be done “remotely”.
I get the distinct impression FC forgot to hire one for this aspect of the game.
I’ve seen the available FX (post processing) for the UE engine that are available for purchase and they are not expensive at all. Although I question whether or not those purchases have “strings” attached to them (royalties).

I’ve asked this very same question and come up with the conclusion that they don’t. They could easily hire someone from anywhere in the world, or they could just put sorcery in the game and have a competition with the modding community to see who could come up with the best animations. I’m sure there would be modders willing to participate in that, especially if it meant their work would be implemented into the full version of the game.

There’s three theories that come to mind in regards as to why we don’t have sorcery yet:

1. They can’t convince someone to do the work for as little money as they’re willing to offer, yet pretend it’s the “move” that’s preventing it from being done. It’s 2018, nobody needs to move anywhere to do that sort of work, especially for one project. :\

2. They’re not as close to being done with sorcery as they claimed.

3. They don’t want to implement it because they’re afraid that’s all anyone will use, making their combat system kind of a moot point.

I’m willing to bet the answer is more than likely #3. That’s what they did with archery. When I first played this game, I always played with 2h mace. Then, my wife got me using Set arrows, and ever since then I was mostly an archer. It was really op. From what I’ve seen, many people went that route.

When they revamped the combat system, they wanted people to be melee again, not relying on archery as much anymore, so they nerfed it…bad. We’ve all seen the threads related to that, and here soon we’ll finally get a good version of archery back.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s why we’re not getting sorcery. I mean, if someone can change into a demon, or werehyena, why would they want to use melee weapons??

1 Like

I hope they don’t add sorcery & magic. There’s enough of that crap out there already in other games.

I hope they do, there’s enough games out there that don’t have “that crap” in it.

2 Likes

That “crap” is a core feature and was announced by Funcom during EA. If you don’t want it, there are a lot of games you can try.

2 Likes

I personally would really love to see magic implemented. When I purchased the game in early access it was mostly because this was a promised feature. I think it would be a shame not to have it as well since so much of the lore in game involves beings that were able to work sorcery and you get the sense that it was never easy but always powerful and most of the time had unforeseen consequences. I think it should be like that, something difficult to use but with powerful effects and potential danger.

Just for funs sake we could look at summoning a skeleton. Maybe it would involve killing an enemy and then casting the ritual over their body enslaving their newly slain soul to you. This would create a constant drain on your corruption to fuel the spell and maintain control. When your corruption ran out the skeleton would become hostile towards you and try to kill you to free it’s soul. In this kind of scenario you would want a lot of corruption which would in turn make you weaker and put you at risk. Perhaps you could cast the ritual multiple times on slain foes to gather a small group of skeletons, but then you risk running out of corruption even faster and potentially getting killed when you lose control of them.

I feel like magic could add a lot of fun to the game and I don’t really think it would be as hard to balance as people suggest. We already have thralls that we can bring along and with their AI nobody thinks of them as any kind of threat. Also akin to aspects like the purge magic could be something that has to be enabled on the server and that way people who want to have it available and those that don’t could both be happy.

4 Likes

I don’t think corruption will be a fuel, it will be a requirement.

Light Corruption will have minor effects. Medium will have some decent effects and heavy corruption will have the real effects, but your HPs and Stamina will be severely reduced.

I think it is a great system. I don’t think you will be able to turn into a were hyena and become a combat monster. You may be able to turn someone else into one, but even then, most high level characters are more effective then a were hyena (Maybe that would be a debuff to a high level character?) I think you could raise a skeleton, but even if it is silent legion level, it wont be much more effective then a Thrall you can have follow you anyway. I imagine there will be lots of curses available, but again, you are in essence self cursing yourself with corruption.

My guess is that this will be more for flavor and small benefits as well as unique benefits. Maybe enchanting items or food as example, but little combat effect.

2 Likes

Hell yeah, as a true sorceress i will sell my soul to the devil for å piece of that power :smiling_imp::woman_mage:

The harder and rarer it is the more rewarding it will feel when i finally master it.

I did not get myself exiled to become some overpowered superhero to do unlimited good in this world. I want blood sweat and tears!

2 Likes

In all honesty, if they don’t give us sorcery, then they need to remove corruption from the game because it’s just a stupid feature that’s not needed. From what I read, many people just take dancers with them to make sure it’s gone, and once you get situated, how often do people really go into areas full of corruption?? I’ve got 847 hours into the game and only every so often do I ever really venture into corrupted territory. The major reason is to learn the map room, but after that, pfft, I rarely ever get corrupted.

2 Likes

What would be neat is if sorcery required special items to be wielded, and if items increased corruption over time. It would play into the stereotypes that evil overlords have entertainers to humor their every whim; perhaps they need them to stay alive. “Spells” could add a certain fixed amount of corruption, to prevent over use; and simply wielding the item could apply a long term condition that slowly increases corruption, to make their be a cost for simply wielding such items. Could even make it a tradeoff, more corruption could increase the effects of spells and certain corruption levels could be required to even access to spells.

Is this Conan exiles or rust? Remind me what lore this is? Oh thst right it’s Conan. I only want the sorcery and magic promise to me. Not empty promise like No Man’s Sky. If they can’t deliver magic then refunded my damn preorder. I didn’t preorder a game that has no guts for necromancery. Even though they promise it. In many magic games they avoid necromancery. Few games has the spine for necromancery.

I see what you did there. Sadly, your attempt failed because you made the interpretation that I am a 12 year old child who loves Fortnite.
We, as in the majority of CE player base, dont want it. I only told you to play WoW or TES, because that is exactly what you’re looking for. No hate, just logic. Sorcery wont be lore friendly in the hands of the player, simple as that. We’re barbarian exiles, not spellslinging robewearing manwomen. The orbs and the ridiculous upcoming healing and explosive arrows is already enough. They should focus on fixing melee and ranged combat + bugs before implementing another combat system.

1 Like

I love the people who keep saying “ sorcery was promised! If you don’t want it go play another game!”

Uh, why? We are happy with the game currently WITHOUT sorcery. It’s you who should find a game that has the features already in it to satiate your desire to use magic and potentially break the system in place. Life is full of broken promises and people changing their minds. Get over it

Its not coming as Stated before.
No mater what was said before by FC

https://www.conanexiles.com/blog/conan-exiles-launch-beyond/

You speaked of Wow or TES in first time to disrespect and ridiculize other points of view. So, I did the same.

And you can’t speak for the majority of CE player base. This is even more childish and disrispectful than your first message. So, I insist, sorcery is core and was announced by Funcom months ago. If you don’t like you can try other interesting games like PUBG or Rust.

Ty, I love you too. You are happy and I’m not. Funcom will decide who wil be satisfied next months. You are right, life is full of broken promises, but broken promises in business tend to have consequences. It’s adult’s wordl, get over it. And, finally, it’s not possible to break a system that is already broken.

Age of Conan has sorcery…and the story takes place near the same time as this one.

1 Like

Sorcery is not core, clearly. I’m sorry that you’re heart broken about that.

AoC is a different game, and pulls from different authors work, not simply Conan. Regardless, it’s an MMO and requires numerous class roles. This is a survival game with a gritty feel, man against nature. Besides, if you want sorcery in the Conan universe, why don’t you just go play AoC? I spent plenty of hours as a caster there, and I still don’t want any of it carried over here

This interview is more recent than that and Joel has stated he has a prototype ready it just needs finishing and they are commited to bug fixing and such at the moment but he still hopes to implement it.

Also this is more recent than that link:

“We do have more systems in mind that we would like to elaborate. Like sorcery. But at some point you have to draw a line and say: this is the basic game and it must be robust.”

And those aren’t the only two instances where he’s stated he wants to put sorcery in between that post you keep linking and now. So yeah, it might not be soon, but expect it at some point.

2 Likes

2 Likes