Where the real blame lies

, ,

This is very true, but due to Funcoms known stance for protecting the identity of those that hack, exploit, or cheat…they can share some blame as well.

Well, I’d certainly want to protect the identity of people reported until after the report has been confirmed. Who knows how many reports they get that are straight up false.

And, given how completely bonkers some of the posters on this forum appear to be, if I were Funcom I wouldn’t want to open myself up to possible liability from inadvertently helping death threats, doxxing, swatting, etc.

3 Likes

Cheaters, hackers and exploiters do what they do best.
I won’t fault them for doing what they do, although I do condemn it.

The real problem lays upon the heads of those who designed, built and programmed this game in the first place.
Had they been better at what they do, this could have been avoided from the very start.

Yes the same applies to laws.

The design of a law could be flawed (so people can abuse it by law) or the executive is flawed. Some people will always try to find a way to break/circumvent laws.

The laws in this case is the game’s mechanics and the game’s rules. The executive is Funcom punishing the people who break/circument game mechanics or game rules.

So Funcom has to invent the game rules and create mechanics that enforces these rules. People who try to break them, need to be punished. Otherwise they will never learn.

They can’t be blamed on this one.

Companies have tried open ban/blacklists in the past and have faced civil penalties for doing so. They also have to follow laws and regulations on privacy. Remember that little thing you had to agree to on every website you visited about a year ago? Yeah that’s part of that.

Then there’s the whole thing about what if the offending named player is a minor (don’t even start with the its a mature game… CE is unrated on Steam and can be purchased by any age there on PC). Then you start running into possible criminal liabilities.

You want this to be different? Well its gonna take a few letters in the US, EU, and Commonwealth to get that changed. In otherwords, unlikely.

I get that your glass is half empty, but I think I am the only one on this thread that has offered up an opinion on a solution. Everyone else seems to think that pointing fingers will fix it I guess…

A rather incorrect and seemingly uninformed response in my opinion. No matter how good you make something, no matter how much security you put into it people WILL find a way to cheat / hack / exploit it. Print a new bill with the newest and most sophisticated anti counterfeit technology built into it and guaranteed within a week if not a day there will be counterfeit bills in circulation. It’s simply a fact of life. Is it the fault of the government for printing the bills or the fault of the people who are counterfeiting them? According to you and others on this tread it’s clearly the fault of the government. Simple answer is no, it’s the fault of the counterfeiter. Same with gaming, it’s the fault of the cheater / hacker / exploiter. But as I said in my previous post once those cheats / hacks / exploits become known the developers should be tasked with fixing them in a timely manner and dolling out applicable punishment to those caught engaging in such activity.

As for the ludicrous accusation about this being anti-pvp, I clearly said such things occur in single player games so…how exactly is that pvp??? What about foundation spamming and obolisk blocking on pve servers and other such nonsense. I would consider those exploits and thus again, not even remotely anti-pvp. Read the forums and you will find people complaining about cheats / hacks / exploits on all server types. Hell, read any games forums and you will hear about cheats / hack / exploits, it is not limited to funcom either.

There is a definite solution.
It starts with changing the ownership of the game which means a “buyout”, then hiring professionals who know what they’re doing in control of the development.

None of that is going to be cheap.
It practically means paying people off so they can retire early (just to prevent them from ever getting their hands on it again).

I’m more of a Half whisky - half coke… let the world burn!

Lets all just move onto Conan Exiles II. =3

2 Likes

So what developer would you like to see take over it? Easy to suggest, but my gut says no developer is perfect, and they have had exploit issues. The problem rally lies in the punishment. And even then legal work arounds (buy new copy of game and new user id) can be implemented. But Funcom has the responsibility to punish those responsible for cheating and ruining other players’ experiences.

I know you didn’t reply to me, but I would like to say: Valve Software.

The source engine is an extremely optimized game engine. Also look at Half Life: Alyx. VR support in Conan? That would be fun!

Their other games: Dota 2. Almost no exploits/glitches or bugs that can be abused.

CS: GO has a different approach regarding cheaters (aimbot,wallhack,etc.): A paid ranked mode and an Overwatch system that let’s the community review players that got reported (they recently implemented this into Dota 2 too).

2 Likes

Just like pretty much anything, blaming someone or something wont help anyone at all other than to punish or repair the damage already done. Blaming Funcom for having glitches and exploits in their games solves nothing, and at that point doesn’t even help to point out the current problems the game has.

Players will be guilty for using and abusing exploits, hacks and glitch no matter how you try to see it the other way, but it doesn’t matter, what matters is to find a way to stop it.

To do that we would have to go to the most basic reasons for players to use or abuse a hack or exploit, and that is the competitiveness and domination. Some players want to play fair but others only want to win, no matter the way to do it, the end justify the means. Conan exiles is a game where a single or group of players can obliterate the whole server with no repercussions and no consequences, what stops them from trying? the game rules are no joke but they spit on them if it’s necessary.

The motivation from the player to use hacks or exploits is something the company and the community cannot control, those motivations comes from deeper and meaningful psychological reasons and even their customs or habits. no matter if they fix the current ones they will always try to find another way around, and it’s not necessarily incompetence from funcom, this could happen to anyone.

Maybe the core game mechanics, the flaws in game design and how it’s published is what brought us here at this point, and perhaps funcom should take a closer look and understanding on how the game influence the player behavior and how to prevent that to happen in this or future games. As for now, they gave the player so much freedom, more than they can handle.

1 Like

Almost, but still done.
The main thing that developers can do is punishment. The level is is based on thier descrition.

I have one in mind, but … let’s just say I’d rather not disclose who they are.

Ways to stop it:

• Hire or outsource more server moderators.
  • Keep improving the process for reporting cheaters, griefers, and trolls.
  • Focus more on the quality of the game.

There you go.

1 Like

In a perfect world everyone would follow the laws, rules etc. The fact is we make rules then immediately try to circumvent them. That’s why we have a punishment based society. By your reasoning we should be punishing the lawmakers vs the lawbreakers, sorry I cant agree.

1 Like

I’m not asking for your agreement or disagreement.
I’m not talking about a “perfect world” because no such place exists and the idea of that is dillusional, especially in this world.
Making a more perfect game won’t stop the cheaters, hackers and exploiters, but it will motivate them to go elsewhere.

Punish the lawmakers if they cannot enforce (or refuse to enforce) or obey the very laws they write. That’s a two-faced double standard and people will not tolerate living under those conditions.

Apparently they will, since they still play the game.

Then why comment on an open forum? Another salty tears session?
Have a nice day. We’re done here/

1 Like

If you’re going to quote me, then by God quote me VERBATIM instead of lifting out of context what you deem is only acceptable to you.

LOL stay calm and game on. Those quotes were both IN context as neither of them were topic sentences, and there was no unifying idea in your paragraphs.
The other sentences in the paragraph, the supporting sentences , should elaborate on the topic sentence in a logical fashion. Neither did. test

Now we really are done.

Capture565e65e

1 Like