Why are Conan Exiles sending data to Redshell?

"Do my players need to worry about privacy?

We do not collect any “personal information” about your players. We only collect and store information about their browsers/computers for purposes of attribution."

"What do you do with the data?

All data we collect is YOURs. We ONLY use it for attribution. We do not aggregate, distribute, or sell ANY data."

I don’t like it, and I work in marketing and community managing, so Im used to remarketing and that kind of stuff. But the description, which I know I can trust or not (cambridgeanalytica etc xD) doesn’t sound too bad.

The devs that are used as testimonials are not very trustworthy to me (s2 games, which pulled something close to a fraud with their latest savage game) and the parent company doesnt seem much trustworthy, given their very small info about them, or videogame-like avatars in the team section XD (https://www.innervate.us/team)

But, my own personal conclusion, is this is nothing concerning for me, or anything I would need to complain about. I wouldnt mind if it was removed (like Denuvo or other stuff from other games) but I dont find it a threat or a bad move from funcom. Maybe they had to make us sign something, maybe we already did, maybe it was not needed. Case closed for me xD

So by watching a add from a company you decide it’s not a big deal?

First of we do not know what data they are collection. Secondly why is ConanSandbox.exe constantly sending data to Redshell.io if it is data about how their marketing strategy works? Why is there no information about this when installing the game, even if it’s in the fine print?

I can continue the list of questions but the mere fact that some virus/spy ware software block redshell is argument enough to question what is happening. And if you look at things like: https://steamcommunity.com/app/298610/discussions/0/1499000547474366484/
You will notice that other games have been forced to remove Redshell due to angry customers.

1 Like

seriously what business is it of anyone that regard the game, what i do in a browser???
Or info about my computer, isnt a dxdiag enough???

This is a real breach of privacy.
There is no single assurance to be given from anyone, that data from our pc’s and about our person is NOT used for other applications.

These companies should be avoided and so those that use Redshell.

Get rid of that spyware !

what is redshell is it spying on me or is it just tracking me

spying and tracking, are they different? your data is being used that is collected from your pc without you knowing or at least been notified that this is going on, is that not spying?

removed, wrong info

I believe that link is refering to a different redshell

Just found a thread in steam forum about this.

They have also found information sent to www.google-analytics.com and stats.g.doubleclick.net. Not really sure about that since about of those have been blocked on my computer for some time.

More info: https://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/1694920442965006550/

Hey all,

Sorry for the concern regarding this. We actually intended to disable Red Shell, and we did - but one of the modules was still active, which lead to a crash. We’ll fully disable and remove Red Shell for now, but please understand that we may still continue using analytics services for Conan Exiles in the future.

If you have any questions about Red Shell’s privacy policy, you can read them here: https://redshell.io/privacy-policy

If you have any further concerns, Red Shell offers an opt-out:

Player Opt-Out Provision
If you are a Player, you can opt-out of Red Shell Analytics tracking by emailing us at privacy@redshell.io or by completing the opt out form here.

Sorry again for the concern. Thanks!

5 Likes

Thank you very much for such an awesome response!

Then we can patiently wait for them to fix it or opt-out, which are very good options :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont really care about redshells policy… i dont want nothing to do with red shell all together, the fact that you didnt make this known to us from the start (USING A THIRD PARTY) to collect our data is giving me a bad taste.

Problem with Redshell opt-out is that data is still sent to them and you as a user cant control the use of your data. I would think twice before using such company in the future, it have nothing but bad reputation. That Bad reputation and questionable business ethics makes users not want their data sent to them even if they say they wont use it.

Alt least now we can block the traffic without the game crashes.

And by the way, when can we expect to play without having to unblock redshell?
i am still getting this when starting the game with access to redshell blocked. (dns tarpit)

Just to clarify, completely disabling Red Shell will involve a data change, which means a patch, so it’ll go in for what should be the next update.

Better hurry then, because meanwhile, the data collection is still going, without ppl being notified about this.

1 Like

If you add
prod-lb.redshell.io localhost
to your host file no data will be send and no crash.

1 Like

Redshell is a tool that is basically a plug and play attribution software that allowed Game Developers to know where their customers are coming from. Like if you shop in a store that store sends data back to its head office saying how many people what their sales are like. Steam doesn’t provide information like that.

Thus knowing that a Store in Idaho is doing really well means hey lets advertise there, or a store in Sydney is down lately lets boost marketing and have a sale.

Redshell is basically providing that kinda of data. It also allows them to determine install vs link click numbers. Finding out where to advertise and where not to. It isn’t collecting personal data. This is no different than data that is collected by stores.

The Other agency partners are places they can put a redshell link. For example if you see conan advertised on facebook click the link and then install conan they know that hey the facebook links are working.

If Redshell bothers you don’t use the internet, amazon, google, shop in any store with more than one location. Basically live in the middle of the woods.

The data is given to Funcom no one else. It is just a fast easy way to know where to efficiently spend advertising dollars and which channels are working the best.

4 Likes

Closing thread. OP’s original issue will be addressed. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like