Why PvP if you aren't going to fight

, ,

Dota 2 and many other games have a solution for that:

Ranking/Matchmaking systems.

Wouldn’t be impossible to implement for Conan, but given the state of the game and Funcom, will never happen.

@AxeIsAnnoying
I will ask your forgiveness about my poor English once more. Not that your statement (salty or not) is wrong , but old player and new i meant something different.
And again not that what you said is wrong, I just placed as new players as actual new that have a great deal to lvl up. An old player can lvl up in no time and gain a legendary in day one. Yet it is not enough.
If and old player with lvl 60 will fight with an old player but on starting levels, then the advantage is huge and since there is no more escape from the fight, the balance is lost.
YES the fights are more “complete” now, but the balance is lost. Maybe the pvp community is happy that can finish finally fights, but they do not know what the game really lost until they saw their servers not to fill again from new players. Ofcurce it is easy to blame Funcom forgetting that they asked this, @Multigun said this about the community a lot of times, that people were asking things here and when they were done, they were blaming the company, like they never asked for it.
The good thing is that finally they will figure out what is the best for this game, because now they know that they should look and act in their own vision whether we like it or not. We, the community here are just a small piece of a really great pie, or even just the cherry in the cake. This community has value even in success or failure too.
It is them, they will decide and I will keep playing, complains or not at the end we love it and always return :wink:

As I tend to say, “Fair fights are for people who are willing to lose half of the time.” Most people are not. Heck, I know I’m not. That’s why I like to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible - within the rules, of course, but if I can improve my odds by being sneakier than the opponent, that’s what I’ll do.

I guess that’s still fair, in the sense that the opponent has the same tools for being sneaky against me. Some people just don’t realize that being sneaky is an option.

Or, as I also like to say, “the best fights are those that are won before the opponent knows there’s a fight”. Unsurprisingly, I like playing games where stealth or sniping are valid options, but most importantly - intel and preparation.

(I also don’t play PvP online.)

2 Likes

There are 2 great battles of the ancient Athenians against Persia. The first one was the battle of Marathon. The Athenians were only 40.000 against 1.000.000. The Athenian General, have the fight appointment in the Marathon lake. This is a huge plateau, huge open space, so ArtaXerxis the Persian king God has all the advantages to spread his 1.000.000 army. What he didn’t expect was the early in the morning attack, Persians were still in bed sleeping from the last night festival for a win that seemed to be certain.
So, yes attacking to someone that is still sleeping is not a fair fight, but 40.000 against a million makes it epic.
Other than that Leonidas kept Xerxis and one million army again back for months because he chose a really good spot to hold and defend and he is known as 300 against a million, (it was about 2.000 however ).
All these war tactics that became legends are not egual to fairness, they are just legends. Fair has a scale and this is certain. So for me there can be no fair between unfair situations, just good or bad outcome.

3 Likes

There are no fair fights anymore. All we need to do is wait for the slowly-rendering red bar to appear, then resolve on the horizon.

5 Likes

Only PVP servers I played were full-time to not be offline raided or Oblisk camping… Vault land claiming around you. Private PVP Servers only to have admins be abusive with their powers… bad luck I guess.

300 very hot Spartans against one million, I will take the legend over fact, thank you.
2022-03-23 03_02_38-Window

4 Likes

@JJDancer.
300 Spartans, the personal guard of Leonidas, which was the brother of the King, not the King. And 1.650 of other races but not in the front line. In the front line was only Spartans. The others were throwing stones and arrows from really high. Inside the personal Guard of Leonidas it had nothing else than Spartans.
The King of Sparta sent his brother to steal the glory from the Athens, since 10 years before Miltiadis created the greatest legend in the whole ancient Greek history. Especially because Spartans promised to help but never did, because Miltiadis offered an open war to the Persian King so the loss was certain.
So the King of Sparta send his brother with his personal guard and a promise to send 10.000 more Spartans and totally change history. It would be now 10.000 against a million and not 40.000 that Athens did. So the Spartans would create a greater legend and restore their “Warrior” reputation.
But as always we speak about Greeks my dear friend, politicians involved, placed fears to the King that his little brother name holding Persians for months only with his personal guard, was bigger than the Kings so instead of army reinforcements he sent Efialtis to betray his little brother and die. What he didn’t calculate was that with this move his little brothers name will always be alive and known as the best Spartan King and his name, though I am Greek I don’t remember it, the next day of this history lesson I already forget it, plus I could search it but I don’t want to, he is 0.
So yes, Spartans were only 300 and this is a fact.
YES the others were not warriors like the Spartans.
They helped a lot, but Leonidas didn’t want to risk a farmers life because he was brave the same as his fellow Spartan warriors. Leonidas for them was a brother, not a King or a General and that’s why everyone loved Leonidas.

4 Likes

I was a Midshipman for a year and a half. You will be pleased to learn, that at least in the Marine Corps, our US Universities taught this straight from the book. We were reminded of it in OCS, and at SULE II, which is a train you until you crack gauntlet of sorts.

It’s in this spirit that a lot of us fight on as solos. And to be honest, I am really impressed with the four followers who gave their lives to hold off the invasion the other night. The invaders got nothing, not even the thralls’ armor or weapons. Made me feel like I actually have some backup. A true force multiplier.

2 Likes

@Barnes
In Greece army is mandatory. I served 18 months. I was on the heavy guns, the cannons. Our motor there is “power through knowledge”. I was a first shooter on M110A2. Our maximum range was 30 km and the destruction fasm was 80x30.
I did 7 excersizes (the normal is 3), too many General inspections, too many parades, too many honors (bulls…) and too many of everything. My best day in army was the day I was leaving. I am not a warrior, I am a handyman. I hate guns and destruction, I can surely understand that they are necessary evil, but nothing can stop me from hating them. I wish I will never have to use this skill, never.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.