Why the spear meta is the RIGHT meta!

I prefer high mobility / high DPS combat with quick kills. Slower kills with drawn-out combat sounds boring to me.

I’m always wary about those modern redoing. They always forget some parameters. What made the strength of a Roman Legionary was is professional trained to fight as a part of group of equally training professional military.
On the other hand the African was a warrior not a military, a guy trained to fight individually to prove is valour.
In a one on one fight against these two, I’m not that sure the Roman will win. He’ll need to kill his opponent quickly, otherwise his heavy armour and shield will make him tire before the more lightly equipped African warrior. Who if he’s smart will use his spear to keep the Roman out of reach until he shows sign of tiring.
That’ll be an interesting fight nonetheless.

im one of the few ACC users on conan, thing is its JANKY AF, sometimes your arrows bounce of them, sometimes it shoots and consumes ammo but no arrow comes out, and the lag can make already trash pvp fights even worse with people porting about, add on top of all this that ACC users already have to be higher skilled to beat their opponents and have to use more points into attributes because they carry so many damn arrows that get VERY heavy… and now they locked core tools for acc users in jhils roost etc with the vulture demons… if you want to be competitive with ACC, you NEED firespark and smoke arrows, melee doesnt need jack squat farmed…

1 Like

You are right, makes total sense, I brought this to contribute to the discussion in this thread, that regardless of the attributes of a weapon, the most important is the combatant skill, of course thats obvious.

I also think sometimes the judges on FiF although having a solid knowledge about what they do and what they’re saying, no way they are like smiths from middle age, of course, different times, we only have an idea how it used to be.

I really hope FC keeps balancing the weapons, it would be nice to see all weapons being used all around.

That’s the games fault. But even in game I switch to my bow as soon as a see a spear.

Most of the time I will stop them. Light atracks will lay them low

Shields always change the equation, as it can effectively counter the reach advantage of a spear. Roman armor would also protect the legionary’s vitals against stabs that get past the shield, so the legionary could use that to close it, take a poke in, probably emerge unharmed, and gut the unarmored opponent.

Of course, every combat situation has variables that make it impossible to predict how the fight goes, but the advantage in equipment quality would heavily favor the Roman. In the real world, armor works.

^^ THIS ^^
Looooootts of farming for specialty arrow mats

Armor as depicted by SuperDuperOtter is not what Mikey’s referring to, because it looks like it has proper catches and weapon holds about the sleeve and shoulder.

I can see both your points of view, I think your deviation arises in semantics. The only modern frame of reference I have within the scope of this discussion is with bayonets. What you don’t want in hand-to-hand is a scuttle, or a deflection point, in one’s armor that might make an otherwise glancing blow a lethal one. A metal bikini will drive all thrusts either upward to the very fragile throat, or downward into tasty vittle territory, like a liver shot which will instantly incapacitate, even with the butt-end.

2 Likes

It is though. The are just subtle curves rather than the exaggerated one in typical drawings.

It isn’t what one would typically call ‘boob plate’ just because it has curves on it. That said, those curves do represent an increased risk of an otherwise glancing blow being guided right at the center of your torso instead of away from it - not what you’d want at all. Even if there’s no penetration, you still have to deal with kinetic energy that would’ve otherwise gone around you. There is, after all, no armor that can outperform not getting hit, and turning blows away is the next best thing to that.

The simple fact remains that the best armor for a female is the same as the best armor for a male.

I will now refrain from further detailing the thread (even if directly quoted again), though I will be happy to geek out via PM or elsewhere if anyone feels strongly enough about it.

Yes, it is because it is plate and is has raised sections to accommodate breasts.

Those are not horse-riding heels.

Those are fashion heels. Prefect to increase lower back curve and buttom prominence by altering the overall back posture, making running a greater injury hazard, sinking deeper in muddy/soft terrains and tripping on un-even terrains.

An abomination when it comes to combat footwear.

The early stirrup didn’t depend on a heel, it was longer and they stretched their legs out in front of them to use it. It was mainly for balance. Only in later centuries did the stirrup get shortened and people started wearing boot heels to keep their feet in place. There is absolutely no written record of stirrup use in Europe before the late 8th century AD. Original stirrups were just a leather loop attached to the saddle, but eventually a metal stirrup appeared for the toes to rest on. Stirrups were first used in France around the 8th Century and England in the 10th Century. Historians consider Stirrups to be the main reason for the creation of the knightly class. Stirrups helped mounted warriors keep their balance when fighting on horseback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.