Wipe PvP officials for 3.0

I feel like I’m in a conspiracy theory right now. :rofl:

Come on, man. Don’t subject me to the thread. I know how unique identifiers work. It’s superfluous.

1 Like

The problem is that it’s both highly authoritarian, and potentially incriminating without warrant. I’m totally of a mind that certain items be wiped. I’ve been through worse, and it wasn’t that bad.

The main whammy with finding dupes is that in PvP I probably stole a lot of dupes over time. Keep in mind I’m a spiteful despawner, so for about 10 months I was a server’s cleaning mechanism, thus I might be a tad biased. However, other players may well hoard or use the dupes to their own benefit. Should we crack my mate’s stolen Aquilonian castle? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I recently started on a new server and it feels refreshing to have a purpose again. Purpose to level up, unlock feats, rebuild my base, collect thralls, etc. Wipes are good sometimes and I agree that PvP servers would benefit from this.
Maybe wipe servers for every new battlepass launch. People that already have unlocked stuf will finish the battle pass in a single day, and sort of take away the fun from the game.
I for one will start fresh when 3.0 will launch live.

Issues like this arise because proper checks for duping seem to be missing now and from day one. Pretty mind boggling if so.

1 Like

So the way most games do invemtory is not unique ids for every simgle item.

The stack tyoe is 1 id. It calls all the stuff, image files, data etc. Then that stack has an amount it can max out at. So each stack is bas8licaly type, and qty. If i dupe half of yhe stack, there is no way for the game to know it. Meanong i have 1 legit stack id with x amount. It is the most effecient pr9cessing way to do it. I know people with vaults of items. a vault has 400 slots. if i was to put iron ore (1000 per stack] that would be 400000 ids just for that vault if they were all unique. Now replicate thatvtimes 100s and yeah, that would be dumb coding just for stored items.

1 Like

I have a question: is ur keyboard out of control? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What makes you think a UUID system couldn’t work with this type of system?

Only commands, (in game inventory management), that are valid and have been round trip verified by the back-end produce a new valid UUID, i.e. when splitting a stack during a valid login session, or removing an item from a stack, (hence creating a new item).

Exceptional situations that cause duping of items and stacks of items, (i.e. during server resets/crashes or the myriad of ways that Conan users/abusers have found to dupe), would not produce a new valid UUID.

This is why you check for duplicates during new item creation in normal game play and on player login and logout, (and probably many other transaction based scenarios, i.e. you could run a server wide dupe check as part of the server’s restart, it might add a few minutes to the server’s reboot time, but so what when they take 15-20minutes to reboot already).

It’s just nowhere near as difficult as you think, the real issue here, (and this is just speculation and I am happy to be proven wrong), is that from day one there was no dupe detection, no capability for dupe detection or extremely limited abilities to detect duplicates, that have not been able to keep up with the player-bases abilities to find new and more extravagant item, code and transactional loop-holes to perform their duping wizardry.

Think about all the code/UI bandaids that have been applied to the game since it came out to try and thwart duping, (e.g. slowing input spam making combat feel sluggish for everyone, because a few were abusing it during server resets).

The officials i have been on usually take no more than 5 minutes, and that is rare

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.