You CAN build an enclosure around the pet pen

It’s just really big and ugly.
You have to first lay down 8x10 foundation pad on level ground, because the pen itself clips through the foundations, preventing placing it on a slope.

You then center the pen as best as you can, which is easiest done from the back corner of it. This can be done in a manner that will allow you to walk all the way around it once walled.

After it’s placed and centered, you build 3 high walls all the way around and cover with 80 ceiling tiles. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone who was wondering “WTF?!?!”

(you can still double or triple layer it if you’re worried about someone breaking in)

2 Likes

Thanks. We wrestled and wrestled with this. Finally we ended up with an ugly affair patched together with pillars and walls strange small raised sections on the roof to enclose ours. The easier answer seems to be avoid PvP (if Funcom would gives us back that option on testlive).

1 Like

Such a shame you need to box in such a delightful model, takes all the character away from it. Maybe a lockable mechanism would be a better idea so that this isn’t required.

4 Likes

But… on the image it clips through your foundations as well. What happened was you laid down 8x10 foundations on a flat enough area to place the pen itself on. Then you placed the pen there, and it completely disregarded the foundation surface. You’d generally get an identical effect if you only used 34 blocks for the edges of the building, then built the walls and roof around a pen that’s on the ground.

1 Like

Yes, It does clip through, which is why it needs to be on level ground with the foundations low so they don’t interfere. I’m sure you could probably get away with just doing the perimeter, but the foundations prevents items from spawning through the pen, like rock nodes or trees. :grin:

3 Likes

It also looks a lot nicer.

1 Like

On second thought, in officials the proximity of the foundations would prevent respawned resources, but I have played on private servers where that proximity gets turned way down and it would. (trees spawning next to the gates in the middle of my arena :expressionless:)

It would at least be nice to have 2 foundations wide in the front, so you can place a couple workbenches on them. Since it takes up so much room you might as well take advantage of extra space.

2 Likes

I got triggered because I literally tried doing the same thing you did, with an even wider area of foundations available and it wouldn’t let me place the pen because there was river running under some of the foundations. The awkward thing was, I got fed up and tried placing the pen next to it, on the other side of the river and it would clip to a tiny bump of a hill that wasn’t even close to being a nice wide flat piece of land. The pen was placed skewered a bit. That was the second pen I placed on the event server as the first one simply vanished overnight because it turns out that it was too far from foundations, as someone on the server suggested. So the foundations matter for the pen, as long as you don’t use them for their designed purpose. LOL, okay, I feel better now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Enyo. After everything is said and done, my bet is a smaller lockable pen would be a popular update.

4 Likes

I think it would be a VERY popular update.

1 Like

You did all that without a buff on yer pick. Truly dedicated to TestLive.

I vouch – you can run all the way around this inside. I like safely camping out in it – tonight I’ll have a jaguar pal. :cat2:

2 Likes

It’s taken a liking to me. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

… Or you build these in a safe position. Like in midst of your base.
In our case, we got place for two of them.

1 Like

So I went back to the scene of the crime with the recent patch. I WAS able to replace pillars with foundations, essentially making a wall of them along the back side of the pen, and was finally able to close the hole in the roof. It’s an ugly solution, but I do stand corrected. It’s doable.

But I have to agree, I’d rather not be forced into making a claustrophobic pen around the pen.

So…lockable on PVE and PVE-C servers? Or we could go back to the argument about making them a smidge smaller :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that you can’t access other peoples pens in PVE or PVE-C. :grin:

2 Likes