Game mode: Online official | Online private
Type of issue: Bug Workaround
Server type: PvP | PvE-Conflict | PvE
Multiplayer environments have long reported placeables with 0 hit points, requiring a server reboot or damage to the placeable before it can be picked up. This has been a persistent and painful bug that causes erosive attitudes toward the health and prosperity of the server, and the greater game. After some analysis and hard thinking as a server operator, this solution, while inelegant, was only available to me through the help, comfort and sounding board of my brother @Cauthey. We are all only as good as our best friends and co-workers.
- Every server, when new, will be susceptible to this
- Every pickupable placeable, the first time it’s placed, will go down as 0 HP
- It must survive a server reboot
- Subsequent placings will work normally
- Admin your server
- Find a nice quiet location out of the way
- Spawn and place every placeable item
- Restart the server
- Every object will now be placeable and retractable by every player
Notes: Future placeables, including those from DLC, will need to be dealt with in such a manner.
Single Player mode is not susceptible to this glitch, which makes its diagnosis all the more frustrating to individuals who’ve tried to help in the past. This also explains why “fresh” servers, including officials, report/reported diminishing occurrences of this bug over time, until it was entirely absent.
This has been tested with mods and without. The scene of anxiety-triggering clutter was repeated on my modded server, and a fresh test instance, and both went through “normal” server reboots this morning, to put the icing on the cake.
Recent Bug Reference: Zero Hit Point (0 HP) Placeables