Alternative to slavery

Yes.

It would be a reason for having a coin press.

4 Likes

Yeah totally… at least an use for the tons of food and berries I’ve accumulated and keep accumulating each day :smile:

1 Like

Yeah. I’d pay em in leather and dry wood.

3 Likes

I do not like the idea of it being a constant “moneydrain” (Not everyone has that much time to play to take more work just because he/she wanna have some quality thralls)
BUT Buy them for a one time only price that sounds an okay-ish alternative to the bludgeon-ing. (and a very easy one to implement. instead of elephant hide one could by a slave at Sempermeru)

Make 'em pricey tho. Like maproom price worth. So about 100-200 gold coin for the best ones.

3 Likes

Sounds like indentured servitude to me. So essentially you’re asking the devs to create a new sub-system that basically clones a system already in place for… what? Skipping the smacky-smacky part?

Could you “One time pay” other players for thralls to get functionally the same thing?

I love this take on it, will borrow it at some point.
I usually pretend the wheel is a mill for grinding gruel or some other device like pumping water out of a mine or operating a lift, need to be built in ways that make that look believable tho, and now i found another way as part of a Mitra tempel :innocent:Thanks :smiling_imp:

Here’s a bit of the background why they chose slavery as a game mechanic in CE.

The Thrall System seen as a game mechanic is actually brilliant, now imagine if you were the CE developer, what kind of mechanic would you use ? Describe your idea into something that can really be implemented in the game in detail and complete as a working game mechanic, maybe if anyone is being clear about the idea, it can be adopted and implemented in future update as an addition to the game.

If we breakdown the current system, it’s like this :

• thrall is taken from a camp,
  • involves fighting,
  • thrall has tier and job,
  • knock one out, use rope, bring to WoP, put food in WoP, wait for conversion time.

FOR EXAMPLE : Recruitment by saving NPC from a dungeon.
By taking the above steps and provide different mechanic for substitute.

• thrall is taken from a camp,
    At the end of the dungeon there are many locked cages with one human per cage but there are many cages there.

• involves fighting,
    the backstory is the npcs were kidnapped by the creatures inside the dungeon, can be trolls or cyclops or cannibals, so we fight our way to reach the cage area.

• thrall has tier and job,
    the npcs inside cages also has tier and job, blacksmith in the cage at spot 1, dancer at spot 2, and so on.

• knock one out, use rope, bring to WoP, put food in WoP, wait for conversion time.
    Fight the creatures inside until one drops a cage key (key will expire in 1h), enemies also have fast respawn rate so it won’t be a walk in the park, once we get the key then open the cage of any npc with the job/tier we want, when we interact to open the door there are options to [let him/her go] or [follow me]. If we want blacksmith3 but the spawn is blacksmith2 then choose [let him go], fight to get another key and wait for respawn, once the one we want respawned, open the cage and choose follow me. If our exile dies while a prisoner is following then he’ll despawn. Instead of WoP, the related structure for this mechanic is [Infirmary Tent] to tend for the prisoner. while using the same ‘fuel’ which is food/gruel for the prisoner to regain strength.

In the end they’ll still be thralls and already broken by the event that happened to them so they follow us willingly. Another example is a giant Wheel of Pain with a lot of slots for npcs, but instead of unlocking cage, it’s unlocking a chain on the leg.

4 Likes

I too would love to see a non-slavery recruitment option at some point. But until then I guess I’ll just avoid using the S word.

5 Likes

Conan only set you free. Conan is a sexism or a person who is Gender racism. Play female intro vs male intro.

Also conan just leaves you in the desert.

It’s not slavery. I am using my sorcery power of charm.

slavery is fun tho gehe

I don’t really have a problem with the system in it’s current incarnation but I agree alternatives would be nice as well. Even if it meant hiring people at that NPC city on the western side of the map or doing quests for those NPCs to convince them to join you.

Stygian archer requires 5 poison glands :woman_shrugging: as a rough example, or something comparable to the amount of time invested on the wheel of pain.

Interesting topic. Since this game is one of the open world games, having a choice for Thrall system isn’t a bad idea. Rescuing NPCs or Mercenary system would work too. Funcom, listen! Players have a moral issue too. LOL.

1 Like

In truth just all the benefits you offer thralls should make some appear at your door asking for a home inside your fortified citadel.

The player grinds for materials and builds a safe heaven, protects it from purges and provides water and food. What crafter would not want that.

1 Like

much-needed suggestion

Would like more neutral and friendly npcs, with the option to hire them

1 Like

How’s this for an alternative? Level up one of your shrines to maximum. Equip yourself in the attire of a high priest with a “scepter of proselytizing.” Approach an NPC camp. Perform your deity’s emote at a thrall to cast a spell. It may join you. It, and several others, may be aggro’d. Most will ignore you. Take your new thrall on a pilgrimage to your shrine for full indoctrination. For Crom atheists, train them by placing them in an alchemy station with steelfire as fuel to feel the burn of Croms hate and apathy and to learn the secret of steel.

2 Likes

Enthralling:

There ought to be more ways to make thralls into a more viable resource? If a slave agrees to be superhuman then we can tie them to a table and funnel different potions into them; They may become superhuman creatures or perhaps even die? This is the risk that they take and the importance for our gathering more thralls - they need to be freed.

Caging hundreds of thralls all waiting to take the ultimate chance. 1 of my thralls wanted to be a female and I gave it a potion and it turned it into a gorgeous woman. I did not like it so much so I found a vendor and traded that thrall for some demon blood. This gave me an idea and I began to train all my thralls to be superhuman so I could trade them in for more demon blood.

The vendor then ran away with the thralls and converted them into worshipers of some super cult. I had no idea this vendor was actually a priest of some sort or I would have never sold him so many gorgeous women. The vendor lied saying that the thralls he purchased were going to be professional wrestlers in an arena match, where they could actually make a lot of money.

Now, I need more thralls to build an army to save the others from the evil priest. I code named the mission, “The Game Of Thralls” making more zombie thralls with the right potions and goliath thralls (understand this is all voluntary). The thralls that choose to become a zombie live tax free but the superhuman goliaths pay a fair amount of taxes due to their higher wages (they eat a lot more). Some of these experiments have been extremely successful: I now have many thralls that can climb walls. It is important to climb walls because in “The Game Of Thralls” there is a huge wall that guards the evil priest and his cult.

1 Like

Found/ create own faction or cult option.

Only if it’s an addition…while hiring mercs is fun and dandy…beating the brakes off an inferior warrior and demanding fealty or death…is much more satisfying…I mean…it’s different than the usual, and adds to the harshness of the world. Now they need to add actual restraints and make the cages occupiable.

The concept of giving thralls their freedom though would be a very nice addition, specially your enemies thralls…would add some nice rp elements, allowing players to start slave rebellions and whatnot. Instead of enslaved thralls, you could lead freedmen with a grudge.

Slavery is bad…doesn’t that
really need to be said? So is grenading police stations…but gta is still hella fun. Don’t change funcom…run with it.

1 Like

If memory serves, there was supposed to be a thrall merchant in Sepermeru where you could purchase random thralls for gold coins. I know those areas in the Relic Hunter City is where the inhabitants still aggro you. So perhaps we can “Liberate” them at a later date and hire them on as employees to our workshops?

2 Likes