Funcom half-yearly 2019 financials

It’s been a long time since we’ve had any games based on the Dune franchise, but now it looks like we’ll be getting at least three games in the next six years – including a Dune MMO.

The developers making these new games are Funcom, the studio behind Conan Exiles and the holders of the various Robert E Howard properties, such as Conan the Barbarian and Solomon Kane.

Try staying abreast of things rather than just expressing what you dont know

whenever I see this way of thinking, which is quite common in gamers, I really cannot undertsand the reasoning behind it. Why do you care about how long a game will stand if it is fun ? Why do you think your time has been wasted if you were having fun ? Enjoy the fun untill it last and just move on when it ends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Share the post bro

The problem isn’t that games come to an end. It’s that they end without an ending. Games, and not just MMOs, are increasingly being made not as complete experiences but with the expectation (on both sides) of seasons of updates to keep them going.

Even if you’ve had years of fun with a game or a TV show, it can still leave a bad taste if it just ends without wrapping up the story. TSW got “cancelled” after season 1. SWL promised a second season that (thus far) ended after one episode.

I can’t blame anyone for being dubious if the same company will deliver a complete experience with other games.

2 Likes

I mean if it would end absolutely that would be the ready shot for writting ones own fanfic over it. Make it end like one feels like it should end…

…with the glorious return of Bong Cha. ducks and runs for cover

1 Like

I totally agree with you on this, but still it does not cancel the years of fun you had.
I will feel a bit of sadness too when I will decide to leave the game, and not even for the story, but much more for the friends and the good times we spent together.
But that will not cancel the years of fun and I will never regret the time I spent playing it.
That is what is beyond me, why some people talk about their playing time as “invested time”, you play for fun, not to get something back (if not fun ).
Maybe its just my bad understanding of English language but there seem to be something sick about how some people talk about this matter :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah but nuanced opinions are for losers, real gamers know if a game isn’t 100% perfect you have to be mad at it :v:

1 Like

It’s not specific to gamers to be cautious about putting your trust into someone who’s disappointed you in the past.

Anyone else remember the RTS Dune game from the Playstation 1 era?

There were multiple ones.
Dune II/Dune 2000/Emperor: Battle for dune

I believe dune II was ps 1 era, 2000/emperor was already ps 2 era

Dune II predates the PS1. And there’s an even older Dune adventure game.

1 Like

Because everyone loved the final seasons of GoT and Lost, amirite? Also see the growing backlashes against indefinitely stalled books series (Martin once again, Rothfuss, etc).

There is to an extent an implicit promise made in such cases that is broken all too often. I agree with Gaiman that creators aren’t your [pejorative for female dog], but on the flip side, they are not entitled to peoples money, either.

4 Likes

Of course, no ending is ever going to be able to please everyone. And maybe some people would prefer to have no ending over having one they don’t like. And no, we’re certainly not entitled to creators finishing their stories. But if you’re going to leave me hanging and then turn around and ask me to please buy the next one instead, I’m going to think extra hard about it. Especially if it happens repeatedly.

1 Like

Because everyone loved the final seasons of GoT and Lost, amirite?

While we’re on the subject, might as well throw Dune into that list. I’ve read five out of the six Dune novels Frank Herbert wrote, but, starting with the third novel, the series had only gotten worse, until, after finishing Heretics of Dune, I’ve long questioned whether the final novel is worth suffering through–which, I must add, leaves the series incomplete. Some stories are better left unfinished.

2 Likes

Lol, ok. It’s also not specific to dogs to have four legs and a tail but I don’t see how that’s relevant to what I said either :v:

Speaking from experience, games are a lot more fun as a hobby if you enjoy them for what they are instead of what you’d like them to be in an ideal world. “I won’t risk having fun in case it only lasts for a few years instead of forever” is an insanely entitled position to take.

If I have the choice between having a few years of fun in a game created by someone who’s known to leave their players hanging without a conclusion, and having a few years of fun in a game created by a company that sees things through, I’ll take the latter. That’s not entitlement, that’s voting with my wallet.

It’s not a choice between having fun and not having fun, you know?

Milking a series until your audience gets tired is an entirely different problem.

Server restart incoming. The game is safe yet another week.

5 Likes

I had a friend who argued the production values of the Secret World were going down at some point amidst the Tokyo Issues, and further argued that Issue #14 was greater evidence of this decline, citing problems with the cutscenes and how they were framed and cut following the departure of the cinematic director. One can acknowledge the desire to see a continuation of a story while also admitting that, perhaps, it’d be better to end it now if there’s no means to do it justice. Withstanding the sight of something you love be tarnished by a lack of means or passion or inspiration is a worse fate than a story without an ending.

4 Likes

I think those observations are spot-on. And I don’t think we’ll see any further significant story updates to SWL.

The question is, though, after having been burned twice with TSW and SWL, should I trust Funcom to take better care of another game?

6 Likes