The Biome Concepts of Croms Faithful

Greetings fellow forum bretheren.

Like many other members I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our upcoming Map expansion. As some members may know in the past I have suggested a new biome in one of my old suggestions lists. In the spirit of excitment and anticipation, I thought I would share a few of my own biome ideas and also welcome others to do the same. A pleasant change from us constantly hearing about technical issues surely? To make a successful and interesting biome it should follow in the same formula as its predecessors. That is, each biome should be unique from each other in terms of artistic design, and natural environmental terrain and land features. The problem is that Funcom did such a phenomenal job with the environmental diversity offered by the existing map, that it is hard to concieve of what else we could use on the new map which would be so different. So here are my ideas. Whether or not Funcom uses these ideas does not matter. It is largely just a bit of fun and a chance to contemplate the possibilities. However they are most welcome to them should they like them. So here are my three (and a bit!) biome concepts:

1. Darkmarsh (Bog biome):
For those of you who have been around the forum a while, this one will sound familiar. Yes it is a re-hash of my previous concept, so I shall utilise much of the original rationale. Yes friends I know that we already have a ‘swamp’ in a manner of speaking in the Jungle biome. However the thing is that it is just not what I personally envision when picturing a swamp or marshland. It is very green, it is light (when its not raining) it is lush and vibrant and teeming full exotic life, and it is bright and colourful. The ‘Darkmarsh’ is what I visualise when I picture a ‘swamp’. It is brown and muddy, it is grey. It is boggy, it is dark, stagnant, miserable and very dank, and filled with slimy wretched lifeforms. A marsh should be dreary, miserable and filled with brown, black colouring and opitomise mud and gloom. Something more along the lines of the pictures below.

images.jpeg-1

images.jpeg-60

2. Ivory Sands (Beach biome):
There are currently two potential iterations of this which I have in my mind for this and shall present each. Both of which are converse to the dark, damp misery of the Bog biome. We had a chance to examine one possibility for a coastline in the original maps Jungle biome, and it was remarkably well done. It showcased murky water, backing against thick trees, vegetation and undergrowth. Now let us explore some other tantalising possibilities for depicting a coastline on the new Map.

The first is on the surface, may seemingly be at odds with the theme of Conan Exiles, but I feel it could work. A warm sunny tropical beach, covered with glistening white sands and palm trees and tropical plants. The ocean water is clear, blue and dotted with coral reefs, and alive with bright colourful fish and seabirds. The ambience should say unspoiled island paradise and relaxation and grass huts. Being a colourful reef which seems to invite inhabitants to wade in, I propose relatively shallow reefs close to the shoreline, before we begin to encounter deeper, blue waters. Noting could disturb this peace aside from groups of marauding exiles, eager to lay claim to this exquisite jewel. But hey, what could be more satisfying than spilling their blood upon shinning sands and tropical coral.

images.jpeg-33
images.jpeg-17

images.jpeg-70

The second posibility was also inspired by a large sprawling white beach (well mostly), but unlike the prior it is treacherous and inhospitable. I envisioned something closer to Namibias infamous Skeleton Coast. While also covered with white sands and surrounded by blue open ocean, this largely dead coastline couldnt be further counter to its predecessors. Largy devoid of tree and plant life, experiencing brutally high and unforgiving temperaures, few animals are hardy enough to call this unforgiving environment home. The long and desolate expanses of beach in this concept are littered with the wood and debris of hundreds of long shattered ships, and the bleached skeletons of dead animals which have succumbed to the hostile environment and terrain. Resources are scarce in this hostile biome, carving out a living is hard. Hostile scavvers and slavers often scout these beaches in search of ‘resources’ to claim as their own.

images.jpeg-76
images.jpeg-75
images.jpeg-72
20200702_214100

3. Deathdrop Cliffs (Mountains biome):
While easy to conceptualise, this one was very difficult to find suitable example pictures for. This biome was actually somewhat inspired by the amazing Volcano biome in Conan Exiles. Much like the volcano, I envisioned tall jagged mountains and peaks, and sheer cliff-faces with VERY long drops the the bottom. The face of the often vertical mountain terrain is comprised of narrow and windy paths and rudimentary rickety wooden and rope suspension bridges adjoining the closely neighbouring, almost vertical stoney mountains. Goats, wildcats, birds and other high altitude dwelling forms of wildlide have adapted to this steep terrain and tightly packed mountain cluster. However, beyond their distant surface appearance, the mountains hide secrets. Carving their way through each of the mountains are a network of large, hollow, high ceilinged caverns and antechambers, allowing room for exiles to build well fortified bases within the protection of the mountains. Small, narrow streams of water filter their way through the rock structure, snaking their way down to small lower lying pools. Aside from sporadic crystal stalagtites, the network of caverns is very dark, and lighting is important. The good thing about this biome conceot is that it offers potential for both a high mountaintop, and cave and tunnel network biome in one.

images.jpeg-62
20200702_204916
images.jpeg-57

4. Ziggurat City (an area):
Okay so this one is not a ‘biome’ in the conventional sense. It is more of a proposed location within the new map. The awe inspiring Ziggurat from the the opening intro. Despite only making a brief appearance, this location is so iconic and etched deeply into the psyche of much of the playerbase. Call me weird if you will, but I think it would be cool if it were to be the equivalent of Sepermeru on the new map; its central hub of human trade and settlement.

images.jpeg-54 (1)

Well peoples…that is all of them. I hope that this did not come across as cheesy. Furthermore, should you have any biome concepts of your own, feel free to put them foward. As usual, tell me what you all think.

PS- Forgive the wall of text.

12 Likes

Hello, Croms! Those are fantastic ideas. I particularly liked the Namibian desert / beaches. I’d like to see some cold desert plains where we could storm with our horses (open spaces are scarce in the current map), with brutal winds and nothing but eerie ruins to find some protection (or maybe not :D).

Bent tress and jagged mountains filled with cold lakes and some glaciers would complement the scenery. Well, I’m just describing a Hyborian Patagonia, I guess.

4 Likes

Oak Savanna

A loosely forested area dominated by the mighty oak tree. Favorite feeding grounds for animals like bison, cattle, deer, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, pigs, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, and the occasional wolf. A lush mix of grasses, brush, and trees painted onto rolling hills that once were mountians but softened over time. I love this type of landscape, but I must admit my bias. It is my home.

Prairie-Oak-Savanna
fall-unit-10-3355

7 Likes

The picture with the rope bridge is something i wish we had more of in Conan. HAve areas where the exiles before built short cuts. That and wish their was a tree city of sorts. The cave dwellings would be a cool “city” from your pictures. Would add more aesthetic life.

1 Like

I’m eager for new biomes, and I’d love to see any of the ones mentioned. I just hope they don’t make any of them give off so much glare. I rarely go to the jungle biome right now because it literally hurts my eyes to be there too long. I find myself waiting for night time when I do want/need something from there.

2 Likes

Well thankyou for your kind words Drollo! I had actually been sitting on these ideas for a while now, largely due to busyness, but I also was not certain if they would come off as lame or not. :sweat_smile: But so far they have been reasonably well recieved.

The Namibian version of the coastline seems to be getting some love at this preliminary stage. It would make for a challenging environment in terms of resources. And I agree with you regarding a shortage of large open expanses on our current map. But I still love it all the same.

That looks and sounds great, I would definately build there. I love the whole big sky country feel it has. Icy cokd lake and wide open plains, its just made for adventure and survival. Ironically your your description also conjured images of Cimmeria for me. That is a good thing!

PS- I am going to try to reply to everyone, but I am pretty busy with real life things at the moment, so please bear with me.

1 Like

I very much like the sound of the Oak Savanna concept bbtech, and those pictures are actually very relaxing just to look at. It sounds like you chose a very nice area to call home. It would make a fine addition to the map expansion.

On a seperate note I will also add that a number of the animals you made mention of would also make for some welcome additions. I am all for adding more animals to the bestiary, both wild and domesticated. I would love for somefarm animals such as cows and chickens, and for a job well done they could slowly produce milk or eggs. A big part of surviving means expanding beyond the uncertainty of hunting and gathering, and establishing renewable food sources. If I wanted to digress even further some fruit trees would be nice also.

2 Likes

Those biomes already pretty much exist…

#1 is the mounds
#2 is the eastern coast
#3 is the canyons around the black Galleon and the mountains in the north
#4 is literally the exiles camp south of the summoning place

Thanks WMHB. I first thought to myself it would be nice if the Volcano had a few neighbouring mountains, except not volcanic and with some hollowed out recesses and large chambers. Furthermore, I always though it would be nice if there were some more substantial spaces to build underground. Well large enough to at least build a couple of bases or townships, because as far as I can recall, at the moment the closest thing we have is The Crevice, which is not especially large. The concept of underground cities is enticing and aesthetically cool to me. I just like caves. Although I would dare say that they would be highly contested building locations in PvP. Interestingly enough there was an interview where the addition of a Mountain biome was discussed way back in early access. However, my guess would be that Funcom either had to axe it due to the maps technical limitations, or in instead manifested as the Volcano biome in the end.

I agree with you on the rope bridge line of thinking too. Something similar to the ones leading onto the Black Galleon, except longer and maaaybe a tad narrower would have been great. The ones we can build ourselves are a nice touch, but having no natural curvature and having to support the underside of them with pillars does take away from their feel a bit.

It sure is Chaonike. :smiley: It sounds like it would be a very interesting place to visit. Was there a lot of wind on the beaches while you visited?

We already have one coastline in Conan Exiles which is very murky and almost like a bayou or mangrove in parts. I wanted to pull up some alternate ideas for coastlines and showcase some which are starkly different from that which we already have. Which is why I opted for two different ends of the spectrum.

Thankyou kindly @everybodyvsME! I am also extremely eager for some new biomes, and the Map expansion in general. The wait is killing me. :laughing:

Sheesh that is no good. I can safely say that I am fortunate in that I do not experience that with the Jungle myself. I do find it tricky to navigate at night because of how dark it is though. I know that it is night time and that night time is of course…dark. However, it just feels way more dark than say the Desert biome for example at night. I attribute this to the steep peaks and treelines blocking most of the light emitted from the the sky and the moon.

I’m a fan of the mountain/ cave system idea not only Would it add to fun places to build it would be a great place for them to add ancient cities and dungeons to as well. Both inside and outside the mountain…

1 Like

I agree with all of those photos you posted guys,

anything to expand this map, that nowadays already became SMALL !!

specially, we need alot more hide small spots for bases for who is trying to recover from an lost battle !!

1 Like

Wait…there is a giant Aztec inspired pyramid with a huge sprawling township at its base, surrounded by a reinforced wall ‘literally’ just south of The Summoning Place…!? Amazing, somehow I seem to have been missing it for the last 2 years now! Could you show me where it is?

What is even more amazing is that this city doesnt even have a map marker; I know this because I have completed the Explore the entire Exiled Lands Journey Step.

1 Like

Aye, that was the idea of the Mountain one Berserk; an explorable solid terrain like any other biome on the exterior and a largely hollowed out network of caves in its interior. This way we could build and explore both above and below its surface. Best of both worlds.

Thanks for the support Monkey325. I am hearing good feedback on on the idea of being able to build and live in a cave system. I find the idea appealling too!

I vote for the mountains biome. I love your description of it and add my own idea:

At the far reach of the biome stands a great mountain. It is only accessible via a rugged and dangerous path through the many caves and narrow lava tubes below it. You emerge from this journey at the top of the great mountain. What danger, glory and treasure awaits you at the top of the mountain? Do you want to draw it’s attention? Perhaps it is better to be silent than to call his attention to you.

1 Like

I don’t think an fully underground biome, like D&D’s Underdark, fits with Conan lore. But a high mountains biome with many caves, some being connected most being not connected, fits well with Conan stories set in the Afghuli tribes.
Personally I’d love to see a true steppe biome : a plain with some low rolling hills, crossed by a river, some trees scattered along the river, and lots of foals to be taken. The ideal biome to ride, explore and fight on horseback.

1 Like

Hey folks! Well, checking @Croms_Faithful ideas made me really nostalgic about hopping to see our current map completely done… About “Ziggurat city”, I remember I tought it was an actual reference to Sepermeru… When I finally went there it was… Disappointing…

1 Like

Thanks for the support Mumra. You could have them all if you like. :laughing: I think the Mountains biome is proving the most popular thus far. It seems a lot of people like the idea of being able to build more underground. Fun fact: when I was investigating Crom features in the past, I heard something interesting in an interview with a Funcom empolyee (Joel?). Back in early access before the Jungle, Frozen North and Volcano the was originally slated to be a ‘Mountains’ biome! Im happy to provide you all with a source too. I am not sure what happened though. My guess was either the Map couldnt handle an additional biome, or perhaps it was transformed into the Volcano biome instead.

I LOVE the sound of that mountain; it already feels like a place of inspiration and greatness to me. Ok time for a second fun fact, going off my own topic a wee bit here, it concerns Crom. As most of us know Crom does not have priests. However, he does have Oracles. These are not young females and virgins like those of ancient Greece, but rather full grown warriors and adventurers who were bold enough to climb Ben Morgh, Croms mountain. While most who do so never return, those who do return as changed men. They renounce all tribal and clan affiliations and allegiances, and become nomadic wanderers, travelling the lands. If memory serves me correctly they also become much more highly attuned to beasts and wild animals (Age of Conan).

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.