What is the most stupid thing you've done in AO?

There is nothing wrong in joining the good guys

On my first character I played full def, I played for about a month. I felt my damage was so bad compared to everyone I was teamed with and even when I got a brand new pair of BBI faithfuls that was going to make my damage uber (according to my friends) it felt bad.

I just couldn’t solo a thing, the damage felt so bad that I actually stopped playing for a year. So when I came back I decided to make another adventurer, this time melee because I remembered how bad my pistol one was. So I logged into the game on my fresh level 1 adventurer, went full def again for about a week. I just couldn’t stand it any more and asked if my account was bugged in the OOC channel. That’s when I found out how the agg/def bar worked back in late 2002.

5 Likes

Maxed swimming but was still the richest player on Rimor?

1. Crafted a stack of 300 top quality swim stims, which are now useless. Those things used to make you swim faster than an Olympic freestyler!

2. Set out to kill all the sharks in Adonis, not knowing that every one you kill just spawns two of the next-meanest sharks.

x1. Speaking of sharks, anybody else remember when there were sharks in some of the rivers on RK, and they would follow you up onto the land?

x2. When cities were new, the Omni HQ had shark tanks on both sides of the entry hall. If you stood in that entry hall and used an AOE taunt, they would come out through the glass and swim through the air attacking you. After you died or exited, they would remain in the air in that entry area, and attack the next unfortunate person who entered the HQ. It was hysterically funny, in a mean sort of way.

x3. Once upon a time, there was an item you were given that would spawn a holo-dude to explain something to you. If used how and where intended, it was harmless. But some griefer discovered that if you took that item to the Basic Fair Trade in Borealis, (which was then full of n00bs 24/7), and used it there, the spawned holo-dude would race around one-shotting all the n00bs. Again, hysterically funny in a mean sort of way.

4 Likes

For 15ish years when vendoring loot I carefully picked it up and dropped it into the shop window. Then I learned you could just use ctrl+right-click.

2 Likes

And that’s when i realized I too had been doing it all wrong. :confused:

O.o REALLY?

I would save MONTHS if I knew that one…

I still do that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I didnt know about the other way.

Russian relay team :smiley:

I think a LOT of us did this back in the day.

Remember when XP loss was permanent?
And the terminate command would instantly kill you?
And there were buttholes out there who would go, “Hey, I’m trying to get back to where I saved, how do I kill myself?” and a bunch of us would go ‘/terminate’?

After a pause for the reloading screen there was usually a lot of cursing after that.

1 Like

to be fair that was often the simplest solution, when sitting for /stuck was not possible and there was no engineer available for beacon warp

Oh, I’m not knocking the personal usage of it by people that needed it.

Just the ones that asked KNOWING what would happen…and those of us that replied /terminate to be helpful, then too late realized we just lost days or possibly weeks of XP grinding.

Back when Shadowland 1st opened there was a glitch with this little chicken pocket boss. You could spawn them as fast as you clicked the incarnator. Mass deaths in penumbra that day from 3000 chickens running around

2 Likes

I decided to roll a crat when ST: Enterprise was still on TV. I thought T’Pol was really cool, but alas as a nick, unavailable.

So I chose “Tampax”. A popular… cough… intimate hygiene brand.
I’m not an American and we do not have that brand here, I didn’t have a clue. After my first few funny encounters that toon was deleted and “Tshaar” was born.

No bad stories from me yet, but I’ll be sure to save them up when they happen!

I don’t remember the stupid things from my first period in AO. Maybe it was wearing the Armor for Style reasons and so wearing Worn Metaplast until level 100? :slight_smile:

But i definitly did a very stupid thing in the first days after resubbing (after 16 years). I forgot all and was a total newbie again. I was really in a hurry to meet someone and he wanted me to come to Penumbra Garden. I had all the Keys in my Inventory but i literally did not remember how to use them and how to navigate inside the Gardens in order to travel to another one.

I was under so much pressure that i tried to use the Key with that Insurance Reclaim-like thingy in the center of the garden. That didn’t worked, the pressure got higher and higher, so i clicked it accidently on the ground and deleted the key. Well done!

2 Likes

I’ve lost count of how many stupid things I’ve done, luckily many of them are on video over on my YT channel let’s build series 1-9 :wink:

As for the early days, well shortly after my son was born and we were getting by on 2-3 hours of sleep a night, I accidently destroyed and entire lvl 300 tower field … tower pruning became field destruction my mistargeting the CT and not the nearby ransacking tower we were replacing.

2 Likes

Fell off Jobe shortly after SL was release and landed, alive, in the middle of nowhere(can’t remember zone either) Slow runspeed as it was a fairly low lvl toon, long run to Civilization.

1 Like

I was just about to start twinking my 158 advy - Finally (NOTE: With my playtime, this is close to one year of leveling and gathering items) … anyway … cleaning these backpacks, making everything neat and organized so its easy for me to twink the way I like it … I opened this backpack, looking at ql 260 Sparkling Scimitar and ql 233 CC chest … thinking like “hum, thats weird, this is so messy” , lets put it away to org bank and delete the bag …

Not too long after this … I recalled I put these two items in the backpack to not delete the backpack …

I figured out I deleted my Robust Backpack.

On another note, I made an ingame ticket (this was few months ago) and I got answered in about 5 minutes and got my RBP back.

Yikes

4 Likes