Age of Heroes - Chapter 1 Q&A

From what I gathered in the dev stream and Den’s wording, I would suspect the undermeshing isn’t fixed and they are working on the foundation sinking before tackling that. But it would be nice to hear from the lurking @Den if the Kitty Pride issue has been fixed or not.

5 Likes

i really cant understand why a cosmetic change is not somethign that is totally under player control,

as mentioned i lost count how many times, i would like total control as how my settlement is broguht to life, not impossed.

2 Likes

I AM guessing the starting point is where the thrall is deployed…

it also means it will have a range of 50 mets around 20 foudnations in any direction, how about the vertical direction, can i built a 20 story high tower and have all the crafting bench benefit even if its more than 50mts up?

iirc, ranges in the game are on the X and Y axis , not in the Z axis which is unlimited?

if that is still a thing i can think of towers becoming very very popular lol.

2 Likes

Depends. Heat and cooling is infinite z axis. Being “entertained” is infinite z axis but the buffs of entertained status are finite z axis.

2 Likes

Because it’s not a cosmetic change, it’s a system revamp. Even though it’s theoretically possible to have both systems implemented and maintained, no studio in their right mind will do that. The cost of maintaining the code for both systems is far from trivial.

1 Like

its actually more if you consider the priests. there is the seneschal and the guardian (is there a third? )

multiply that by … religion.

so if your clan has all religion multiply number of priest by each religion… how many spots do we have left in that scenario for regular fighters/archers/performers/bearers pets?

1 Like

sorry what cost? they have done NOTHING To keep them as inventory items since they launched. they have not done anything to the system in years regarding inventory thralls, besides a few animation changes, done (wheel of pain comes to mind) … the system is in place and do not need maintanance if its not touched.

i do not call something forced on us a revamp, as i might not call a revamp what they did with the dyers bench. (despite funcom efforts to make it look so) and it looks like we are not seeing them reverting the change back, because i think dennis like it…

cosmetic i meant because there is clearly no benefits, beside the clothing change (cosmetic) to player other than they eating a sandwitch (Cosmetic) . or cooking or doing an animation on a bench (they do it already) (cosmetic)

the only way i see somethign like this working is to increase the cap, and based on the words i read here by funcom, we will be lucky if we can keep the 200 thralls limit, but it does sounds like very possible (for me the most likely scenario due to how bad the official server are) to see a cut.

a solution to this, is to have the benefits of a thrall apply clan wide with no distance restriction , but the moving around only where they are located. so there is no need to have crafters in outposts. eating valuable thralls spots.

so if i have a taskmaster in my main base, the effects will affect all the wheel of pain in the clan. so we dont need to use more than 20 crafters for the entire clan.

but again … the settlement system will be far less crowded than it is right now with thralls just sitting on the bench.

All code has maintenance cost. I’m not pulling that claim out of my ass, I’m basing it on 25 years of experience. If you’re a professional software developer, you should already understand what I’m talking about. If you’re not, I’m not going to derail this thread with an explanation.

If you really want to debate this issue, feel free to open a thread about it and I’ll be happy to participate in a lengthy discussion of what goes into code maintenance from a general software development point of view, and I’m sure resident modders and game devs will jump in to contribute.

4 Likes

This is were I caution folks not to let preference become prejudice.

While I suspect this change will affect clan bases in a similar vein as thrall population limits did in 2021, for the last 6.5 years, folks have been able build a base when they wanted and staff it with workstations and crafters.

That your clan does not is preference and that’s fine.

Every clan I have played with for the last 6.5 years has had, at least, one base per player.

It looks like that must change.

5 Likes

what about the cost for the players and how we play the game with this change? that will obviusly limit you even further? sandbox? more rules and limits?

people should have freedom to use a cosmetic change the way we want, and to use the settlement system in the way we want, not the way dennis want us to play,

there are many type of players, adding is fine, removing something that has been here since launch is not.

i can see the dyers bench all over again…

3 Likes

you just hit the nail ,. this is exactly the problem they are introducing, dennis said they did not want people to chane the way people likes to play the game, but they are in fact making a huge change and are impacting every singke player,

just as they did with the dyers bench.

settlement system? absolutely, add but not remove something that has been here since launch date.

every single person in a clan or not has the right or should be entiled to use one of the greatest assets in the game, which is ,… building.

now we will have a large majority of them as empty husks, because a inventory thralls (that does not affect server performance) cant be placed anymore? leavin the ooutpost totally deserted? that is what funcom wants to achieve? or they are doing alll this just to limit players and clans to 1 or 2 places ? without putting the limits?

most large clans! do have more than 1 place, and i can absoluteley tell that in most cases i have seen each member has a house , or something they built. in our clans case , each clan has a fully staffed staff of inventory thralls in benches and are autosuficient.

that is going to an end? and we have to be happy about it? because you can see your crafters in fancy clothing, and eat ? and sit? and sleep? REALLY?

this is a downgrade./. not sure if it is due to performance, if that was the case, i would like to know, and trust me i can undertand if there are reasons behind it.

we are going backwards on thralls

we are moving forwards with companions (love the concept of it) beacuae it ADDS, it does not remove anything.,

3 Likes

PVE
but eaxh player have own house (or pyramid)

I’m not saying we didn’t consider it, but we didn’t want to take up space unnecessarily and risk an admin wipe

not to mention that in the old days of purges, it was easier to defend one site

we’re not playing much at the moment anyway so we built a smaller base, grouped more craftsmen so we don’t have to run through the whole base for everything and as a bonus saved the server a few thousand building pieces

1 Like

I’m glad no hard date other than in the month of October is planned for release personally, especially in consideration of the 2 postponements of the Beta.

Perhaps I might be misinterpreting, but it seems that the purpose (based on this explanation) of Public beta means that it is to identify issues to be addressed via hotfixes and post-launch updates? Does this mean that no critical issues will postpone a release? My concern here is that we’ve seen this happen frequently that critical bugs make it to release (and subsequently not even addressed in hotfixes). How frequent will hotfixes and post-launch updates be released with the new cadence? Has this been factored into the new development cycle? Does this mean that we’ll see more frequent updates to tackle longstanding bugs?

Since worker thralls have requirements to fulfills their needs such as campfire, bed and seating locations, does this mean that if strictly all 3 placeables are available to them, they won’t wander far? Or, if 1 of the 3 is missing, it doesn’t “fulfill” their needs and they’ll just wander? If I have 3 worker thralls assigned to this 50m area, will they in turn each have to have their own seating, bed and campfire or would 1 of each placeable satisfy fulfilling all 3 thralls’ needs?

I do not like the idea that they can open any doors. Is there any consideration being made to lock doors, then preventing worker thralls from “escaping”? I’m thinking of this in terms of PVP. Also, I’m afraid that these thralls will simply walk through buildings since followers basically teleport through as it is…

9 Likes

This one appreciates the response.
And is ok with most of what the response contains.

Especially the clarification that the test server is explicitly not for catching and correcting bugs before release but may inform later hot fixes. That helps to set reasonable expectations.

The two items of concern being:

1. Followers can open doors. This one looks forward the slaves letting this one in to an enemy base to raid at leisure.
  2. No Companions ever for Siptah. Good job reminding the people who pay more how well they are esteemed.

This one has rescued several Senja and Hap Zebah, usually from the cages in accursed camps on the Isle of Dawn.

Likewise several Exiles, especially Deidre and Frigga have appeared in the north western quadrant of the map. And an Amaranth the Swift

Not frequently but it happens

This one has rescued an entire goat worth of Gnar Goatfoot from the grave of the Leviathan.

But yes, the Bird Leyshrine is most reliable.

9 Likes

oh i agree entirely with you,… we just have bigger fish to fry… lol

how different would this be if they came with something like

settlement system, we are adding the option for players to use crafter thralls and deploy them to be part of the world, in order for you to have a more living settlement, but if you want to not use the feature it will be up to you. you can choose to fully embrace the change, to opt out and play as you have been playing , or have a mix of thralls in benches, and some of them wandering if oyu decide to. it is up to you how you want to have your settlement . we will also be introducing new emotes available for players to use with your currently deployed companions. ETC ETC

(i would have been kissing your feets if this was not forced)

1 Like

I’m not sure if you misunderstood me or you’re just too pissed off to care, but I wasn’t saying you’re wrong about the impact of this change. Whether you’re “right” or “wrong” about this being a bad change is a matter of personal opinion, and even though I disagree with you, I respect your concerns.

What I was doing was explaining why you can’t have both systems actively maintained. There are concrete and valid reasons why that ain’t gonna happen.

A perfect example to illustrate what I was talking about. In this case, I agree with your opinion that the dyer’s bench change is a bad one. My suggestion would be to either revert the change or add actual QoL improvements to it, but it wouldn’t be to support both systems and have a a toggle in server settings to control which one is active. Like I said, that ain’t gonna happen.

I hope I clarified what my response was about.

2 Likes

thanks for responding codemage.,i value your inputs a lot. and i hear you!!

i still cant see why both systems cant be in place… i think the previous one is already in the game, they are adding a new one which is the ability to deploy a thrall and from that stand point the systems kicks in.

proof of that is that thralls will come out of the wheel as inventory items, and there is nothing stopping you to drag the thrall in, what i know it changed is teh benches… but i still believe both system could coexist with each other, pleasing everyone in the process.

this is i believe for some of us a traumatic change.

i really believe that both systems could work with each other…if they wanted to.

1 Like

You do know the forums are not used to acquire meaningful feedback, yes?
The only fish Funcom is interested in frying aren’t really fish at all, that being Whales.
For ourselves, no amount of feedback here is going to be relevant… We’re just at it for fun.

So whether an anchovy or a catfish, we are at leisure to roast whatever comes to mind.

They aren’t going to make this optional, not because anyone says anything on the forums.
If you don’t like it, find a content creator to champion the cause.

To be certain, this one has significant trepidation about this update. However, unlike other things this one has recoiled in horror from, this was actually requested, in some form or another, for some time. Further, this one hasn’t yet seen how it plays out.

2 Likes

Don’t forget priests and sorcerer, also eating up budget,

1 Like

i think they read it, and i have seen them change of course in the past, (Rarely) i know my opion is… just that, and quite not important at all, but i am entiled to at least try. wish for the best prepare for the worst.

its just my grain of sand that i add, to this, if its meaningfull or not, well… at least i tried.

2 Likes