AI Overhaul for NPC's

The Sepemeru is a different case cause most of the npc’s there are idle. They’re not doing anything so there’s not much to be calculated. The game just calculates where they should stand and except a few dancers that’s all (they are mostly doing the same dance as well). I was talking about a situation where those animation’s would be implemented and it would have to be calculated.

I understood what you meant. :grinning: If we (the player) sets the animation, then it’s partially on us to make sure to not have 5 thralls in a row doing the same thing. However, if the system is doing it (I see 2 or 3 beside each other in npc camps thinking), perhaps a simple delay timer or random animation times would prevent the ‘N Sync’ conundrum.

Setting a thrall to perform an emote, and autonomous idle animations are two separate things, with I assume their own specific technical challenges.

I had supposed that if (placed - fighter & archer) thralls were given a set of autonomous idle animations they would be coded to perform them sparingly and randomly over time (so as to avoid performing an obvious routine, or say giving the appearance of being REALLY thirsty as they keep performing a drinking animation every other minute). I have no idea how feasible this would be as I’m not a coder by any means. Server//performance load seems to be the key concern if thralls were to be given some more life.

I had noticed that areas of the map loaded when I neared them (most noticeable as the lights in my base suddenly coming on as I approach) but by the time I’m close enough to actually be able to see my thralls, they are animated. Perhaps because my pc is fairly high end? I dunno.

1 Like

I’m not a coder either, but an artist (hence why I know the additions to character customization is easy), but I have used the Pippi Mod extensively and know they make full use of the emote system for npc’s.

Yes. I was thinking along the lines of idle animation (yawning, drinking, etc.) to be used sparingly and randomly, so as to not make them ‘N Sync’ or overwork the system. :smile:

2 Likes

‘N Sync’ lol. Backstreet thralls alright!

I’ve been puzzled as to why the character customisation in this game is as basic as it is. I mean, it’s not bad, but I would’ve thought it was a no-brainer to add some more hairstyles and better hair colours at least. People generally love character customisation, it’s a crowd-pleaser.

There doesn’t even seem to be much in the way of character customisation mods either, which is weird. Normally that’s the first thing people do.
‘Cupcake’s Aesthetics’ https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1391805405&searchtext=hair looks like the best one, but unfortunately it appears to be abandoned (so haven’t tried it).

I’ve got to give Pippi a spin one of these days… at least mods are able to somewhat alleviate zombie thrall syndrome.

1 Like

another great idea, I support you.

2 Likes

Yes after watching that too, you’d think the exiles team would get much bigger and the game would get even better from bugs to crashes fixed, not pump that money into their next game. Mounts, sorcery, Thrall ai, bigger map and chat for xbox and more should be on their way thanks to the success they say they have had. I heard sorcery is.

Ghost Recon Wildlands game has a pretty good ai which won’t leave you alone and will hunt you down.

@Barnes Age of empires was the bomb, this game reminds me of it sometimes too.:thinking:

Be nice to get mods on the xbox version

2 Likes

Other projects of Funcom’s could definitely benefit from improvements and learning experiences made here. The AI (in my opinion) is the thing that needs the most work.

The building in this game is phenomenal, and basically only limited to the players ingenuity and creativity. The combat is definitely unique to the survival genre, and much improved from early access beginnings. The graphics and map settings are top notch. They really deserve praise for the work they’ve done, but there’s always improvements to be had. :smile:

2 Likes

I was playing GTA Online with a friend the other day, and I thought, the combat in CE can use the motion GTAO has in its melee combat. Since CE has a “problem” with hitting ppl while moving, the root motion when you’re running in GTA doesnt stop your character to perform the attack animation, instead, it performs the attack in the same speed as running, so the attacks dont miss.

I wish I could link a gif here to demonstrate this, but I think you guys get the idea.

1 Like

In a way, that’s reverting back to the old combat style, where you could chase someone around hacking at them, with no chance of escape. It would be excellent to have some moves that you could do while running/jumping (possibly only light attacks?), but many of the weapons we use couldn’t be swung in full force (IRL) while not having feet planted firmly.

That is a legitimate proposal, and could sate a lot of peoples complaints with the current combat. Light attacks while moving and heavy combos in place. The current meta is to dodge roll and attack from a distance. You run when your health gets low. Light attacks while moving could definitely mix things up and bring more than just a spear and 2h sword into relevance in pvp (and make npc’s more deadly).

1 Like

I agree, I would never trade the old combat never, that was atrocious :stuck_out_tongue:

Light attacks being able to hit while moving is a good idea, it seems to me, that this can be adressed without complication, maybe if the they speed up the animations.

1 Like

This looks promising. Perhaps it’ll bring back some old siege mechanics and freshen up some AI to work better against purges as well.

1 Like

I remember a period in EA when fighting a rhino head-on meant you’d end up inside the front portion of his body. When I have taken my Rhino Geoffrey out for a spin, a very interesting action happens, most obviously with pikemen. Humanoid NPCs will end up standing inside the rhino’s front girdle section – collarbone forward. I don’t know if this observation is helpful, but it may speak to their respective development stages on TestLive.

3 Likes

There is supposed to be a feeding mechanism added in.
At that time I would like to see assigned thralls for the feeding duties and / or, like my base is designed for, away feeding halls for the guards on outlying areas of the base. Thralls for the feeding and caring of the Archers and Fighters.
Also rotational shifts for Archers (wall guards) and Fighters (gate guards.)
Gee, it would almost be like old times life in a city…

1 Like

One of our next main mechanic to focus on is in fact the AI and working on improvements. That also means considering different settings for thralls/pets as suggested by the community.

9 Likes

Thank you very much for that confirmation! Thralls were a major selling point for me (and I’m sure many others) and it would be excellent to see them working close to how we expected them when joining. I understand that this an ongoing production and my hopes go out for the team for much success in your game and careers.

(If the artists are left out, then put them to work on character customization. It could use some extra options, as has also been suggested since early EA. :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Well, the AI is definitely in dire need of an upgrade, so this being somewhere on the roadmap is good news.

Some tuning and (above all) stability fixes plus just a few basic command options (guard mode vs passive mode vs aggressive mode for followers & stationary thralls) would do wonders.

If at all possible, if you do manage to get commands, consider making them “hotkeyable” (without using a hotbar slot!) so I can call back a follower thrall who’s about to murder that T4 crafter thrall I accidentally came across without having to run up - open the radial menu - select correct option - because by then it’ll be WAY too late.

5 Likes

I hadn’t even considered hotkey binding commands to be helpful, until the scenario you just poised. That makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean that’s just one scenario off the top of my head where it’d be vital.

And while I’d love to be able to “hotkey command” groups of thralls in a base defense situation, I’d settle for being able to control my chosen follower (thrall or pet).

5 Likes

Let me add that as an example of a relatively simple yet surprisingly effective method of commanding troops, you take a look at Mount and Blade: Warband. It’s an old-ish indie title started by two or three people originally (though now they have a whole team working on a sequel).

Anyway, there you assign your followers to one of eight groups pre-battle. In CE terms that would probably be through the radial menu. In M&B you can also name the groups, though that’s not strictly necessary (CAVALRY - CHARGE! feels better than “Group 1 - charge”).

You then use keyboard shortcuts: press 1 for Group 1, then the next keypress defines what they should do. It could be “charge” or “defend this position” (where you’re pointing) or any of a couple of other options. You can even tell any missile troops to hold fire or not, or tell troops to use blunt weapons when available (for capturing prisoners).

Examples (actual keypresses could be wrong, haven’t played in a while, but you get the idea):
Press 1 - 1: Group 1 charges (attacks)
Press 1 - 2: Group 1 defends current position.
Press 0 - 1: Everyone charges (0 is “everyone”).
Press 3 - 2: Group 3 defends current position.
Press 1 - 4: Group 1 retreats back to their original position.

and so forth, you get the picture.

It’s not hugely complicated but you get a decent amount of tactical command through that system. The reason I mention it is that M&B is another game that focuses on the player character’s perspective, you don’t give RTS-style commands from space, yet you command tens or sometimes hundreds of individual troops in real time, each with their own AI (they’re not Total War-style units).

2 Likes