Conan Exiles is exceptional! Isn't it?

Thanks for your feedback.
I am rather surprised that my post attracted any attention. This is not about seeking attention, but rather about how controversies and complaints tend to be more engaging.
There is an interesting trend in games - the declaration of death. I recall experiencing this when playing World of Warcraft. As the game progressed through various expansions, a minority of forum users adamantly believed that the game was dead due to declining numbers, being too casual-friendly, or Blizzard’s perceived missteps.

It seems to me that this phenomenon occurs across different gaming communities but exhibits similar patterns. In autumn 2018, when I read comments proclaiming “the game is dead and won’t survive”, I initially felt some irrational annoyance. However, as this narrative persisted, it ironically served to confirm the opposite. Over the years, depending on when individuals started playing - whether in 2017 or since the May 2018 release - certain aspects became apparent. One of the issues I wanted to address was the lack of sexualization in CE. Many people tend to associate attractiveness with sexiness, leading to characters being portrayed in skimpy or provocative ways. This prompted me to ponder whether there is a parallel between people’s attitudes towards sexualization in games and how it is often linked to adult cinema. To delve deeper into this topic, I sought out some accessible resources to help differentiate these concepts.

Before some people potentially get upset, it’s important to acknowledge that CE incorporates adult themes, which is undeniable. However, these themes are seamlessly integrated into the overall experience without being overly emphasized. The example provided in the article serves as a great illustration of how sexualization can exist independently of adult entertainment. It’s worth noting that sexualization can exert influence on its own, a concept frequently observed even in children’s cartoons.

While some may consider me detail-oriented, it has always been the finer points that, for me, set things apart and make a significant difference. During character creation in a recently released survival game, the immediate focus on breast physics caught my attention. It’s a known fact that sex can be a selling point, and some individuals appreciate such features. However, what truly surprised me was the absence of hair physics in the game. This was disappointing, but what truly disappointed me further was the peculiar appearance of footprints. Regardless of whether footwear was worn or not, toes were indiscernible. While this may not be a personal preference of mine, I do appreciate a realistic representation of footprints on the ground.

Despite the potential criticisms of CE, it is clear to me that the developers paid meticulous attention to details, setting standards that I use to evaluate other games, especially those within the same genre. Naturally, comparing a game with six to seven years of development against one freshly released may not be entirely fair, considering the advancements in graphics. However, there remains a fundamental aspect that either stands out as well executed or falls short.

The importance of proper posture and an upright walk in gaming cannot be overlooked. As players spend hours interacting with avatars, aesthetics play a significant role, including anatomically correct posture and movement. In a previous post, I referred to the male model as evolutionarily impaired.

Upon reflection, I questioned why male models often resemble beings predating H**o Erectus, over 2 million years ago. Does a chimp, gorilla, or orangutan appear barbaric or savage?

After much contemplation, I traced a possible source of inspiration to “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame” (1831) by Victor Hugo. Interestingly, achieving realistic posture and movement seems to pose a considerable challenge, not only in real life but also for game designers.

In this context, the female model in CE stands out as a masterfully executed piece of work. However, when it comes to the male model, it appears that many players may prefer avatars resembling variations of Quasimodo. This observation raises questions about the portrayal of male characters in gaming and the standards set for their design.

I apologize for the lengthy text, and I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

1 Like