Crom Coin Alternatives & Debate (Poll)

Right now the metaverse is the room/space you first enter when you put on the VR headset before you choose a game. The future is to allow your friends to join you in your room/space/pad. It’s possible to do that now, but I digressed.

Why would they drop them for that? Crom coins are account wide. More trade means more business.

1 Like

i suppose i meant the part you said we wouldnt need to pay playstation for online. im sure in that instance playstation wouldnt carry Funcoms content anymore.

But you dont have to explain further, thanks for the reply :grin::+1:

1 Like

I searched for a better example, for a few minutes.

Funcom Live Services looks like what’s needed for Funcom to implement its own network.

2 Likes

my bad making you search all that time man
thanks for that though i appreciate it

2 Likes

Personally…it’s gotten way too complicated in everyone’s expectations and explanations.

crom coin is currency only useful in CE. It’s is a one way exchange and that means you may have some left over that is useless unless you plan on another purchase.

Once again, you can choose not to make any purchases and still enjoy the game. That is your choice. You can also choose to not play the game if you believe there are ethical issues with this. However it is all perfectly legal and no one is getting scammed in the legal definition of the term.

Now I will say that as a ps plus member and console player of multiple mmo’s and remember the old days of PC gaming, I don’t see the big deal. Sony does this sort of thing. Epic games, EA games, Blizzard, Microsoft etc etc etc etc etc etc have all done this. They do it for a reason and yes it puts you committed to the game/console/operating system. …but the outrage is over 20 years too late IMHO.

3 Likes

That’s not what a metaverse is but if that’s what you meant by the term then OK… I get you.

The definition of a metaverse as discussed in computer science circles is basically what you see in the film “Ready Player One”. Cross-game, cross-platform, cross-device (HID etc.), true multi-media, multi-national, shared space…

We’re creeping toward it but currently nowhere even close. Which is one of the reasons serious people are having a chuckle at That FB CEO… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just “beyond” the universe, leading to more than one universe for each individual.

I wouldn’t say anything if I didn’t have years of experience with vr and the various engines that render the game, including my own. Fascinated.

I guess we need to review that movie, too.

1 Like

After everything I’ve read here, I’m a bit torn.

I would be willing to support a direct shop.
Since development costs must also be covered, employees must also have their fair wages.
However, the direct shop should then be treated just like the old DLCs.
That you can always continue to buy a complete package.

What I would also support were Micro-Trans actions, but only if they are within a certain framework.

For example:
Undead horse (various variants that are immediately included)
2€ to pay.

But that’s just my view on the subject.
I’m still staying for the battle pass.

love for you all (˘︶˘).。*:heart:

3 Likes

I chose the first option, I would rather just pay with my credit card.
Probably not as familiar with other games as others, but my ex-boyfriend played World of Warships a lot, and was constantly buying in game gold. I think this would be classified more as a PTW game, as it seemed that the more you spent, the better your ship was at killing other ships.

His addiction was one of competition, he wanted to win that bad, but there was never any fear of missing out.

I keep seeing the FOMO criers jump back into the conversation, and while the majority of the discussion has been very interesting and polite, they seem to be the crusaders throwing veiled insults and mocking others.

My take is that these few have had a bad experience with a large corporation or business, possibly a past employer, or possibly are worried they will be left out due to not having a lot of discretionary income ( which would be a real FOMO issue ).

I have never really had a huge desire for anything in this game enough to care if I have it or not. The DLCs were cheap, so I bought them. The Twitch was something different to do, and a bit amusing to watch, so I did it. The twitch drops were definitely not something I would have payed for.

My point is that people keep pointing out that you do not have to buy anything or kill 10 goats or whatever, it is totally your choice to participate or not. Others keep implying that we are just sheep that will do whatever the mega-corporation wizards want us to do, and we have no free will. They use human weaknesses to prey on the unsuspecting, and weak-minded people.

I would submit that humans have been preying on each other since they learned how to swing a branch in anger, so it is not something novel with the advent of online gaming. Refusing to let oneself be duped or digging deep to find out if it is a scam and then deciding is still called FREE WILL.

6 Likes

That and realizing just because other people have something doesnt mean you have to have it. Its part of being a mature adult.

4 Likes

Knowing how I spend in games, I am neutral to the coins as long as there are small enough bundles. Now if the only option was to buy a bundle for 100 EUR/USD, then I would have a problem with that but I don’t mind buying coins for 10 and having 3 eur left over. The amounts are too minor for me to care but I understand that this is not the case for everyone. I come from a country where 3 eur can buy you a big pizza.

2 Likes

You’re right, but I’m sure we both agree that it’s a poor justification to keep doing that.

4 Likes

I have a question that I can’t answer myself what is a FOMO?

Is that some kind of fanboy/girl but in the aggressive way?

1 Like

Making polls over issues that have already been established by the developer, as if we have any power to influence this. If you don’t like what’s to come, go make your own video game.

Turning Conan Exiles into a crypto miner is a bad idea and I would remove the game from my PC as soon as it does that. I’m here to have fun playing video games, not farm some imaginary currency. Steam thinks the same since they will ban any game that does promote crypto or NFT.

3 Likes

FO·MO

/ˈfōmō/

noun

INFORMAL

1. anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.

It stands for Fear Of Missing Out - Apparently it has become fashionable recently to say that the evil overlord corporations are purposely causing this by black magic advertising to pick the average persons pockets.

If you read the definition it originally had to do with mislocation anxiety and now apparently it has become a General euphemism for anything that online gamers do not like about gaming companies marketing strategies.

5 Likes

In the old days, we just used to call it peer pressure and people were taught to resist it and think about what is right for them, regardless of what others were doing.

8 Likes

You have it backward. Just inventing and declaring a Crom Coin, and then selling it is imaginary. Mining for it requires actual fungible labor and electricity.

1 Like

Just wait until someone starts to use different shapes of diamonds with precise raytracing for proof of work. That’s not imaginary.

NFT is something that can be understood by a larger audience than just bitcoins alone. There are ways to make unique signatures with NFT. I’m wondering if it is worth the extra overhead in game to handle them. I think I just reasoned a cash shop.

1 Like

I don’t have it backwards. I said farm to simplify my reasoning, but what I meant was:
“I’m here to have fun playing video games, not up my electricity bill and overuse my video card for some imaginary currency.”
Crypto is an imaginary currency created to make the poor poorer and rich richer, or just simply a scam.

2 Likes

Yes, you do. Crom Coins that are simply made up like a storytelling element are imaginary. Coins created with processing power and electricity, by definition, have a derived real-world value. They are thus not imaginary. It’s a fundamental misunderstanding.

1 Like