Crom Coin Alternatives & Debate (Poll)

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand what you mean.

(◔‿◔)

3 Likes

But only are of value if there is someone willing to buy. Coin like crom coin and like paper money and gold is only as valuable as what others think it is. Your belief on its value is mostly irrelevant. Now your suaveness in expression of why its valuable is far more important than what you believe its value is…ie marketing.

1 Like

A simple precept of retail is Keystone. Sell the thing for twice twice what you paid for it. Paid a dollar wholesale? Sell it for $4 retail and you’ll survive.

Crom Coin mined to 51% by Funcom: retail cost = $2.50. Double it and double it again. That’s $10, around the price established for a DLC.

If Funcom starts with a pool of 2 million coins, then that means they are sitting on a bank of value worth $10 million. In other words, the promise is that “we have $10 million worth of goodies in the pipe.”

The second million of the two million coins are therefore available, democratically, to players who wish to mine for them. They can then be redeemed for in-game items.

2 Likes

Yes and people dont care if they spent 20 bucks for it vs a DLC. I keep telling people this.

If they have the money to buy the outfit then have at it.

No player can dictate what they can buy or not.

Call them names - you think they care? they dont.

1 Like

More or less this is @JJDancer for me :wink:

Unfortunately in this video jozimbo does not do the JJ move :rofl:.

3 Likes

Yes, and I’m afraid this has caused the whole concept to suffer from severe inflation. Because people toss it around like a magic word, people have stopped taking the whole concept seriously.

Nevertheless, as I’ve explained elsewhere, the currently popular marketing strategies touch upon the same manipulative methods scammers have used since before the internet. Whatever you want to call it, it artificially creates demand for a product the company is supplying. (Yes, almost all marketing does that, but some strategies are rather more straightforward about it.)

2 Likes

No, it’s about artificially and deliberately creating situations where you have to spend money NOW or forever lose out. Most people, whether they have oodles of disposable income or not, should be able to see that this is at least to some degree predatory. It’s the direct opposite of “normal” DLC, which remains on sale, forever, and if you don’t have money this month, well okay you’ll go without but you can buy it next month.

They have a real-world cost, not necessarily a value. If I go and dig a giant hole in my garden and fill it with good-quality beer, it’ll have had a significant cost in labor and beer, and yet I’d argue its value is zero or even negative :wink: Value is in the eye of the beholder, or (more practically speaking) in what someone will pay for it.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a marketing strategy - one many people don’t like, especially when there’s no reason except artificially created ones. For physical products there may - or may not - be sound reasons why something is a limited edition. Even then, there are actually regulations governing those, at least for some product categories.

That’s fine, but respectfully - why are you bringing it up, if you don’t want to discuss it? Incidentally, most of what I’ve seen on the topic - and granted, I’m relatively newly back to these boards - has been perfectly rational. But no question it’s a divisive topic, and some people will always fail to argue in good faith.

1 Like

Someone directly asked me for a definition. I even hesitated to give it, since the passion levels and hand wringing would resurface. It has actually been discussed, dissected, etc in depth on other threads to the point of ad nauseum.

And…
Welcome back :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Nono, I meant before that. And you’re probably right, but to my knowledge it’s only recently that we have from the horse’s mouth (ie Funcom) that they’re pursuing a partly FOMO-based strategy, and that it’s a deliberate change from what they would have normally done. I think it’s fine for those who disagree with this to be vocal about it. Or for those who support it/don’t care, to say as much. But sure, I do know what you mean regarding fatigue from debating the same thing over and over.

Cheers! :slight_smile: :beers:

1 Like

I agree with all of this, but so far on other threads it has just broken down to personal attacks and just a back and forth “he said she said” endless wave of posts with utterly zero informational value, so I am trying to avoid the topic when possible.

1 Like

The derived real-world value is what I stated. There is value in electricity, and opportunity cost, but there is more value than that. In your scenario, you end up with muddy beer which nobody wants. In Bitcoin’s scenario, the whole world benefits from the math problem we all solved as a community – and our security benefits to this day as an unhackable passcode/better-than-TLS encryption. Additionally, Doge and other coins are moving us closer to solving real-world indefinite numbers like Pi. There’s actual work, time and energy involved.

Like I said, it’s complex and polarized but needn’t be.

1 Like

Just here to leave a example, if its for digital content or tangible objects that doesn’t matter in this example:

• If there is 1 object of a kind it will always hold more value than an unlimited object.
  • If you make less and promise not to recreate the object of value it holds its value.

Not trying to be a smart or anything I just wanted to drop a simple example since some of you don’t understand this concept.

EDIT: making the example easier to read.

1 Like

You do realize that Colorado is the micro-brewery and craft beer capital of the US, and you can get every flavor of beer in LODO, including murky beer, correct?

2 Likes

Obviously, there’s a train from Boulder every half hour. :hippopotamus:

2 Likes

Before I start, forgive my Greek English.
Discussion is the way to communicate and communication is important to understand each other. If we succeed to understand each other then we will successfully co exist in a community.

Members with “direct”, “straight”, “honest”, “true”, behavior are my first friends here. These members hide no surprises, they are “solid” to who they are and they first deserve the title friend. So if I am lucky to be accepted by them, or worthy enough, that’s a privilege. These persons are precious.

With the fear of derailing, I have to mention one thing. Every female gamer here, I my eyes will always remain female to be treated as a lady, yet with no flerting options in it, because they are fellow gamers equal as men. In my first gaming days there was 100 men and 2 women rebels, sadly too many boys were calling them lesbias because they wanted to play, or playing better mortal combat… Taboos, I know, yet I never accepted these comments, they were always fellow gamers, team mates, but ladies nonetheless. Sorry for the derailing…

@JJDancer here helped me, opened my eyes to the building aspect this game has that can “destroy” my fun days in this game. She helped me to see this issue more open minded and in time my annoyance against huge builds with 100 thralls reduced to minimum. She helped me see that “hey” I am having fun here, just because you don’t like it it doesn’t mean that it is wrong!!!
And “this” my friend is the right mentality in the online gaming. You have to stop, think, understand and move your ego to the side. Online means share, so first you have to be open to share before excepting others to do…

So back to discussion…
Some people, fellow exiles, fellow members, friends, have different opinions… So? This is only good for my eyes because from these discussions I will end up a winner nonetheless and that’s a fact.

2 Likes

I have never seen this take on bitcoin before and find it very interesting. You look at the long term humanistic value, and I love that.
I can also relate to others points that it has no real world value in terms of true investment for monetary gain, as recent losses in the industry have proved.
In a purely Capitalistic sense, it is a blind pool, which has no real stated investment goal, and promises vague future value.
Your version is amazing, you should write a prospectus and start investing.

3 Likes

You are good for my soul.
giphy

giphy (1)

3 Likes

True…
It’s not once or twice that I “dreamed” how awesome that would be… To play my favorite game and feed my family…
Then ofcurce, I swimm with the river flow and I know that this is impossible…
Still it is a nice dream…
I would say openly that every gamer that is against this thought, dream is an hypocrite…
Yet there are always brilliant minds getting birth every day, so one day this may become reality…
My only fear?
Will gaming be an escape from reality under these terms?
Or will it be the only reality and reality your escape?
Bottom line… Do I really want to sacrifice my hobby for money? Does it worth it? I really don’t know, really… But I am afraid.

3 Likes

As I said earlier, when my hashing power was derived from solar, I participated. But it’s not responsible to do it when they crank up the coal plant in Cameo and shut the solar grid down to private investors. Things and times change. The essential part is that crypto is finding its actual value. People must not invest in something they do not understand, and Bitcoin is not to be invested in period.

The other amazing development that we have all as gamers suffered is that computer components are finally at a real price. A competitive price. This has given many people in many developed nations an extra opportunity to craft video cards, or even whole hashing units, and sell them competitively. We have seen the greatest achievements in homebrew and professional hardware architecture right here in the USA, all because of hashing.

And finally, Bitcoin has forced us to build the sleekest, the fastest, the most RISC-iest machines in history, right up to deadline and on the cutting edge. All of humanity has benefited from this specialized hardware, and its more democratized resurgence.

I’ll repeat it, though. Bitcoin is not to be invested in.

Crom Coins, however, would be very interesting to me. And it’s been a fascinating thought experiment about which I will now pipe down. :smiley: (My boring thread specifically on the subject was merged into this one…)

3 Likes