Crom Coin Alternatives & Debate (Poll)

• I Would Rather Purchase Crom Coins
  • I Would Rather Use A Direct Purchase Cash Shop
  • I Have Another Idea which I Will Explain Below

0 voters

I recently came across this exchange in a thread about the Battle Pass and thought it would interesting to sample the community. Both are fairly common formats for game companies selling merchandise - both virtual in-game assets as well as physically shipped goods.

Here’s the exchange:

During the live stream Funcom said so much of this stuff was still being considered and that they would be listening and reacting to the community - us. So if you have an opinion on this now is when to voice it.

What do you think? And Thank you for participating!

5 Likes

I would prefer just a cash shop. But generally I like options, so I wouldn’t mind if you could use Crom Coins or regular currency. Maybe Crom Coins could be awarded in the battle pass or give a slight dscount as an incentive to use them?

I don’t begrudge them wanting to have an in-game currency, yes it can be exploitative but it’s pretty normalised now and the whole concept of marketing is exploitative really. I think in-game currencies are relatively benign compared to say, endlessly scrolling newsfeeds or intermittent random rewards designed to compel addictive personalities. But really, if I see something I want, I want to be able to buy it without jumping through some hoop of converting my money to fake money first.

3 Likes

I would prefer just a cash shop.

2 Likes

I like that idea, it’s kinda like how Sea of Thieves does it if I remember correctly, sometimes I’ll see something in the shop I like but don’t quite have the coins saved up to buy it just yet so will just pay for it directly with regular currency and just continue to keep saving my coins (via the battlepass) for something else later, that way I can get what I want when I want it and continue to save up my crom coins as I progress through the battlepass and eventually, every now and then, once i’ve saved up enough crom coins I can get a “free” purchase.

Are we able to add this as an option to the poll too?
The option to use Crom Coins and/or Pay for items Directly

1 Like

I would also prefer a direct cash shop , I’m not against the idea of the crom coins , but often with " in-game currency " shops , we get those bundles of coins and weirdly enough , you can never buy the exact amount of coin you need to purchase the item you want , forcing you to buy several low amount bundles or the bigger and more costly one … and that is not perceived well by gamers anymore … they are fed up by these tactics to make you spend more than you want ! :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Someone suggested using Crom Coins as a crypto token and let people earn them in game. This in conjunction with RMT options would be ideal. People could earn Crom Coins in the game, cash them in via the shop for credit and use them on whatever they want in the Bazaar and for those who don’t have the time to farm coins in the game, they can buy direct through the cash shop OR buy Crom Coins from other players to use in the shop.

1 Like

My opinions have been stated by others so I aint gonna add more of the same stuff. I prefer items in the store with a set cost in real currency, and have them on a rotating schedule, but available at some point in time over the year.

1 Like

Direct cash purchases are extremely unlikely to happen at this point.

There are several reasons why games use fake currencies, some of them perfectly legitimate, and others are more manipulative and greedy.

The legitimate ones give justification for them to implement fake currency while the malicious ones make them more money - besides, everyone else is doing it and it is perfectly legal, their monetization expert will be whispering into the ears of the powers that be.

4 Likes

If you’d like to create wealth and value, and not just a sustained cash flow, please consider creating a Crom Coin e-currency with a coin hash*, that we can help “unlock” as we play. During our off-times our machines can mine them.

* specifically limited quantity ever to be mined, hash is exponentially harder as more coins are solved.

3 Likes

An aside: I came here feeling down, but now I am once again inspired by this great Community talking it out in various places, but especially here:

Please take the time to read this thread, we’ve got a lot of very sensible people here with amazing perspectives.

6 Likes

Well crap, I started that thread and now you limit me from it by putting in “sensible” in there. I got a rock.

7 Likes

@erjoh
How can everyone sees that you are sensible except you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:?
@Barnes my dear friend, my greatest issue with your posts is that I hardly understand your “scientific” report. Please keep in mind that some of us (or only me who knows) are dummies. Can you please analyze a bit more and give some examples, so maybe (only God knows) I will understand what is your suggestion exactly? Thanks for your tolerance to my dumminess.

2 Likes

Obviously, he wants peanut butter added to the game. Its so clear. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Because I lost my sensibilities a long time ago :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If we’re lucky, Elon will say nice things about Crom Coins on Twitter and we can all get rich.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea honestly. I already get paid in crypto for things like search engines (PRE) and Reddit (Moons). Gamestop and Loopring are going to be doing some amazing things in the future. If I could get paid to play in Conan Exiles I’d be here all the time.

2 Likes

You aren’t the only one my Hellenic friend, I’m pretty vague on the idea of crypto. Are you suggesting @Barnes that Crom Coins become an actual crypto currency? So we could trade them with a crypto wallet to buy anything (is that even how crypto wallets work!? What am I even talking about)?

3 Likes

Please don’t give them even worse ideas, Barnes - even in jest.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it if I need to buy Crom Coin or buy directly with my countries currency.

But realistically having their own currency will make ingame purchages possible/easier for every different country. Its a more streamlines process, everyone will see the same value of Crom Coins for each item.

(if a new item gets added you only need to put in 1 price instead of a ton of different currencies with different values)

2 Likes

I would prefer a direct cash shop FOR SURE. There’s to my knowledge no good reason to implement an interim currency, other than greed. I don’t question that it works, but it does give me goosebumps, and not of the good kind. Funcom has generally been quite benign, so I’m still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there’s plenty of things in this new battlepass/company currency/shop/seasons setup that will lend itself very well to predatory and exploitative practices. I just really hope they don’t go down that route - now or ever.

6 Likes