Developer Stream Recap: December 12th, 2019

The one bit I dislike the most is when Dark Souls is brought up.

It’s just honestly disappointing that the devs feel like they have to turn Exiles into a Dark Souls clone in order for the game to be any good.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recap, Multigun!

This is a belief I’ve seen before in the Dev streams. I understand where it is coming from but I strongly feel this is at cross purposes to what the game can afford as well as gameplay goals.

As has been mentioned before, community testing and feedback is critical to the quality of the game. They can’t do that unless you tell them what you intended to add or change. Patch notes and Dev Stream info is too clouded to tell the difference between a bug and a feature.

You also want players drawn out into the world by the new content you add, but that doesn’t work if they don’t know it exists. To find the Wine Cellar, we were supposed to run around Sepermeru until we find a door that has a faulty label saying “Return to the Surface”? It’s a silly example, but often it’s just tossing the job of explaining to YouTube, not creating opportunities to explore.

I think it’s important to help the community work for you, instead of first work against the obfuscation, and then be in the dark about intentions when testing. The alternative is to bring a lot more people on staff and empower them to test prior to releases.

2 Likes

I agree with Alex’s sentiment in theory, but I don’t think they’re doing it well enough in practice. Instead of doing things like Mega Man (teach the player by playing the game), they’re doing it like Minecraft (toss the knowledge into a wiki).

There’s a written document inside the tavern with the hints in it. :wink:

1 Like

only one type of thrall AI is correct. currently the weapon type (meele or ranged weapon) makes the difference. put a bow into the fighters inventory and you have a (weaker) archer.

with the new systems this can be a valid option. the legacy thralls have a type depending stat bonus which makes it more reasonable to use only archers with bows.

1 Like

This is the bandwagon now.

So many thing Dark Souls is the cats ass when it comes to gaming. That all the developers are trying to hop on the bandwagon and make their games mimic Dark Souls, to try and drag in more players.

And usually it just ruins the experience the game should have been.

We don’t need a slow pain in the as* way of fighting. That’s just artificial difficulty.

The same shi* as the old Resident Evil games and the stupid walk-system they had in place. Not that it was difficult. It was just annoying as hell to deal with.

2 Likes

But it fit the game. this is counter to your argument, because they changed it to something other games were using–the trendy controls so to speak.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.