Game crashes and kicks me to a black screen windowed mode?

So I was able to play the game for about an hour when I first launched it and ever since then the game world will load and about 3 seconds in the game crashes to a bordered windowed mode with a black screen. I can still hear the game music in the background but I can do nothing from there. I have to control alt delete my way out of it. Can someone please help me fix this problem?

I noticed that the update manager always crashes about a minute into me playing the game. I’ve even done Windowed mode and waited for it to crash, closed it and then hopped back into the game. About 5 seconds in it kicks me and crashes.

It does this both on DX9 and DX10.

Here are my specs if that helps. I’m also using the latest video drivers and version of Windows 10 pro

i7 9700k
Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti
G.skill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3600 mhz 16 gb
Auros Z390 Pro mobo
Windows 10 pro 64 bit

I think you should try Windowed (Fullscreen) mode.

As i wrote in another thread here, many many things can crash a game, from my own experience over the years. Last month i had an update for my video driver and after that the game crashed, i had to roll back to the old driver so it works again. Not sure what the problem on your computer can be, the most radical solution would be to do a new clean windows installation and install everything from start again beginning with AoC and see if it’s working. That’s what i did when a few years ago the game crashed and i couldn’t find out why.

2 Likes