How to Remove All Turtles on Single-Player or on Dedicated Server

There seems to be a bug with how Turtles (Small, Normal or Large) are operating since the April 2nd release. This can cause servers to lock up, and players are unable to sign in if they are located close to a turtle placed into the world.

While this post does not help Official server players (like myself) or those on Console editions, I have worked out a method to remove all placed turtles in an Isle of Siptah game on Single Player. The steps should be similar for those of us who run Conan on Dedicated Servers, though at the moment I don’t have an active server to check upon the proper file name.

Warning: these instructions will remove all of the turtles from your in-game world, those that have been placed into the world for any player. Anything that was on the inventory of those turtles will be lost forever. Their associated properties such as levels up will also be removed.

I was not able to locate a method to associate the Following Turtles with their owner, in order to transfer their items into the player’s inventory, but that would have been nice. All turtle carried items will be lost with the turtle. In the future, once this bug has been addressed, you will be able to use turtles once more, but I would not recommend placing any turtles at this time, unless you are ready to remove them once more.

Steps to follow:

• Obtain a valid application for making changes to SQLite files. I used DB Browser for SQLite
  • Become familiar with the operation of this software, or your selected software.
  • Exit your game and allow the game world to save and close. If you are managing a Dedicated Server on PC or Linux, shut the server down and make sure it does not automatically restart.
  • Locate your appropriate save game file. Mine was under:

S:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Saved\dlc_siptah.db

• Create a backup of your latest dlc_siptah.db file using a Copy and Paste operation
  • Make sure you have your original file, and a copy with the same timestamp.
  • I used a filename such as dlc_siptah_20240412.db_bak so the game would not consider it or try to automatically delete it.
  • Within DB Browser for SQLite, open your last good file dlc_siptah.db
  • This particular software runs a Transaction around any changes that you make, so be advised that you will need to Write Changes at the conclusion, in order for them to take effect.
  • The following commands are designed to be used within the Execute SQL tab
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE IF NOT EXISTS bad_turtles AS SELECT "id" FROM "main"."actor_position" WHERE "class" LIKE '%BP_NPC_Wildlife_Turtle%' ESCAPE '\';

-- SELECT * FROM "main"."actor_position" WHERE "id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);
DELETE FROM "main"."actor_position" WHERE "id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);

-- SELECT * FROM "main"."properties" WHERE "object_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles); 
DELETE FROM "main"."properties" WHERE "object_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);

-- SELECT * FROM "main"."item_inventory" WHERE "owner_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);
DELETE FROM "main"."item_inventory" WHERE "owner_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);

-- SELECT * FROM "main"."character_stats" WHERE "char_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);
DELETE FROM "main"."character_stats" WHERE "char_id" IN (SELECT "id" FROM bad_turtles);

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS temp.bad_turtles;
  • The lines that begin with two hyphens are Comments, which will allow the curious among you to examine your data before it is removed. Each line that is not commented means business, so do not run everything all at once and then expect to examine the data afterwards. The commented out lined DO require the temporary table to exist beforehand, so you can select one line at a time and run what is selected by your cursor.
  • If you are not the curious type, then running all of these lines will purge your server of all placed Turtles and their inventory then clean up afterwards.
  • Make sure to Write Changes which is under the File menu or Top line of the Toolbar
  • Since we modified the default file name, you should be able to restart your Dedicated Server or Single-Player game now.

ONLY If you encounter any issues Replace the main dlc_siptah.db file with a Copy of your Backup file.

This post is just a helpful workaround for those of you affected by this issue, and maybe it will be read by someone who is managing official servers also looking to solve issues using some elements of this technical solution. Chances are, the Turtles are just using differing blueprints that were not as compliant with the new follower flee or fight logic as cats, horses, and other blueprints are. In that case, a development solution will be needed, requiring a release.

By the time the next hotfix is offered, my entire game world will have decayed as I placed a turtle into the world but can not sign back into the server myself.

3 Likes

I had a friend sign into the official server I was playing. I asked them to kill my player character so I’d respawn at my bed.

Once they launched arrows towards me and the nearby turtle, they would get disconnected from the server and the server would crash and later auto-restart.

Just sharing so that people know that an arrow in the vicinity (like within render or interaction distance) is enough to cause the server to crash.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.