Journey steps - from one extreme to another

Level 10 lets you unlock the wheel sure, I’m saying there would be a bunch of folks that never played long enough to build one let alone knock a thrall out and chuck em on there.

I agree.

It’s nice that it tells you the action rquired rather than just showing a question mark, but that doesn’t mean that linear style isn’t clunky. Only getting credit for an action when you actually have the journey active is clunky. I looked at a journey and found out that even though I had literally just done those actions, I needed to: 1) activate the journey first; and then 2) perform all of the steps AGAIN, and IN ORDER. And again, this is right after I had already done those items.

I especially am distressed over some of the journeys that require you do things like apply attribute points. I’m already at the max level. I do not have more attribute points to apply. That puts a lot of extra work on the player in that I have to respec my character just to get credit for something I’ve already done.

1 Like

Journey steps… BAH … HUMBUG .
I play this game on my own terms.

1 Like

You take me wrong, like I said I like the new system, the old system were lack luster and offered no reward for doing them. But it’s not like they weren’t listed in the top right corner for ages. The journey section of the player menu is right there. But there was 0 incentive to care; unless you are a completionest.

I like the new system, I did say

My response has been to a specific posters claims.

Let me tell ya a story :older_man: Was playing before the Journey system. I’d been gone for a while, they did a big update and introed the journey steps. Didn’t know about them till I did the cloth self one, got the popup, went to the player menu and checked the journey menu. Then started doing the steps.

I find it hard to believe once there have been a few popups, and you see the list in the corner, your not going to check to see what the journey steps are.

So how do these new people know to unlock a specific journey to check off the boxes in order if they can’t figure out the recipe menu to see wheel of pain as an option? Its one thing to have me choose a journey, it is another for me to memorize the orde of the tasks within it. Once unlocked the orser should not matter.

1 Like

Well, right now, to get that recipe you have to spend the knowledge points to unlock the feat.

To then build the wheel you have to craft a construction hammer, equip it, wield it and then open up the construction menu, navigate to the correct tab and subsection to select the wheel and then place the wheel.

All of this while also having to learn how to fight, how to not starve, how to not die in the sandstorm, how to build, etc.

I really hopenyou afe being sarcastic.
The dlfeats show prerequisite recipe and cost.
The hammer is in you main inv menu with cost.
Wielding shows commands on your screen.
Learn to fight. It is called pressing buttons to see what each does. These are gamers not aliens learning the game.

1 Like

seems there are opinions for the change and against the change. So, nothing new there!

After a few hours of play on existing characters, I find some of the processes tedious. Overall, I think it is an improvement, but it could do with some refinement. It is clearly intended for new characters. the considerations for existing characters is inconsistent.

this system requires assigning attribute points for some journey steps… which requires existing characters to reset their attributes once they’ve reached the level cap. not ideal.

this system requires learning skills. So far, it seems to auto detect some existing skills. this is good. But, it is not consistent. must learn apprentice mason but I already know it. So, to complete nay, to start the journey, will require resetting skills. very tedious!

Good that existing crafting station count, but why not existing tools and weapons.

overall, I find that I do not understand the reasons why some things detect existing skills and others do not. going to get old if existing characters have to constantly reset attributes and skills in order to progress the journeys.

Hating the linear element. If I have a category selected, it would be nice to at least complete it in any order I want. For example, the dungeon crawler one. I MUST complete the required dungeons in an appropriate order or they don’t count. I HATE playing the midnight grove because it’s so damn long. I wanna put that one off as long as I can. Meanwhile, it wants me to do that one right after the dregs.

Also, I about the religion one’s max a shrine and summon a god… the fact that, last time I heard, kills your arch priest and destroys your shrine (correct me if I’m wrong and this has changed) seems like a tedious and steep price for what? An incense decoration that drops from the loot of anything? :roll_eyes: maybe I’m overreacting here and there’s more to it, but it’s definitely not a recipe as I already can craft it.

3 Likes

90% of my steam games I just logged in once, looked at the game and decided I didn’t like it enough to keep playing.

I would say that the new journey system is a minor improvement

IF IT WEREN’T SO FINICKY AND BUGGY.

2 Likes

Some rewards are a bit disappointing for the effort put into them as well.

4 Likes

Look, be realistic here for a moment.
Since when was anyone required to do “journey steps” to level up their character?
As far as I’m concerned, it’s just a distraction and thankfully I don’t have to have it clogging up my screen. You don’t have to have it either, but it’s your choice.
My character’s life does not depend on it. Think that over.

Having now done some of the journeys, I can say I like them.

Not only does it look better but it actually gives you a reward, where previously you just gained experience to help you level faster.

This is a positive step in the right direction, and many (most) other parts of the GUI need to be addressed/upgraded in a similar manner.

I like the new Journey Step system and would love to see other elements of the GUI expanded in similar fashion.

I don’t have a problem with the linear nature of it. HOWEVER I think a QOL change would be they don’t have to be active anymore and get the active line checked off regardless if the journey is active or not. Most of the vets harvest several materials at once and having to flip journeys depending on which one you are harvesting is quite annoying.

1 Like

Would also like if they used a little common sense and auto completed some.
(For example, if you are level 60, just go ahead and admit that we have put points into a stat at some point instead of sitting there telling us to put them into something when we don’t have any left to spend or don’t want to reset them for a starter journey…)

While it was never required, it was always fun to wander around naturally, come across some place new and have that journey step trigger, indicating you did or found something special. It put exploration and natural play of the game first and game mechanics second. It was unintrusive before while still being rewarding with exp for players still leveling or just the knowledge you completed a noted task for player already at max cap.

Now, instead of me wandering around the wastelands discovering things naturally, I have to actively follow a check list of predetermined menial tasks with some of them woefully out of order while others repeat themselves different blocks. The new system is far more intrusive to gameplay, yet now far more important since it gives you actual rewards that affect said gameplay.

Before the change, I never looked at Journey steps in the menu because I didn’t need to. I just did them while naturally playing the game. Now if I don’t actively look at the journey steps and actively change which block of quests I’m doing, the game won’t recognize I did any of it making achieving some of these tasks feel less important or exciting.

And again, ignoring content is not an answer for dealing with bad content. If players “just ignore” every bad change Funcom makes to this game, pretty soon this game will no longer retain the aspects we all loved about it originally. This change wasn’t to improve the game for long time fans and doesn’t really help new players all that much either. What it does do is add another grindy timesink, similar to the battlepass, to make players waste time doing menial tasks instead of actually doing the game content. It adds more time played to the game, but doesn’t actually add any new content to it.

2 Likes

I believe the discussion should be more about why did they waste dev resources on this? It seems like a change just to have a change. Rewards are ehh, tedious linear completion design goes against max level players and sandbox nature of exploring If you do want the rewards, they are server based, so have to unlock everytime you start a new server. Seems like the devs could have worked on ai or something instead.

I disagree.
Compared to the original journeys the are fleshed out, have more explanation, rewards, and the menu is very pretty.

Not like I don’t have issues with parts of it, or parts aren’t broken, or some of the steps are way inconsistent. But over all I like it more then the previous one. The previous journey system never motivated me to go out the and do them, when I was lucky enough to know what they were.

Seems to me that this change is more for new players than for existing hard core players like you and I.

I wonder if fc is planning on a big influx of new players somehow. Maybe by switching to a free to play model now that they have a cash shop.

2 Likes