Purge Tanner's Name Changed

Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: North America

While looking thru my chest of Cimmerian Beast-Tamer crafters I’ve captured from purges, I noticed something rather strange. All of my "Master Tanner Nareen"s had their names changed to that’s of one of the CBT blacksmiths, “Donia, Keeper of the Riddle of Steel”.



Also Wrong:

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

  1. Have a bunch of crafters from Cimmerian Beast-Tamer purges.
  2. Look at the Tanners and observe Nyle Wolf-Pelt is normal, but suddenly Nareen’s name is different.
  3. Observe on the Wiki that the data-mined tables even reflect this error for both Nareen and Nyle.
  4. Confer with your purge neighbor that they are seeing the same weirdness, and decide that a bug report is necessary.

There are others. We did a comparison between the devkit id and the NPC names and found quite a few discrepancies. My understanding is that will be forwarded through the appropriate (and faster) channels to the devs.

Unfortunately, changing the id or name is not a simple thing. The devkit shows multiple connections between the datatables and one change may affect any number of unexpected and undesired effects. That’s why they are reviewed quite thoroughly before implementation.

The change you encountered probably started the same way. While we try to keep the Wiki up to date, some corrections hit us by surprise and take research to validate, thus requiring people.

If you want to help, please do so since it is so easy. You show a knowledge that is important to keeping the Wiki up to date, at the very least by screenshotting a section that (for now) has no one to update it.

We do try to accumulate a comprehensive list of apparent discrepancies so the information is not fed in piecemeal and someone in Funcom has to keep a list.

For each release (not update) a comparison is run between the two spawndatatables and changes are noted, but that takes a bit of time and research prior to submitting it. We do our best to feed only valid issues. But, stuff happens.

Should anyone choose to help, Discord is the place to start and I invite anyone interested in that aspect of the game to join in, if not to help, at least to review and comment on the discourse that takes place there.



1 Like

I’ve added and edited a few pages in the past, so I’m familiar with the process. Still good info for others who might want to contribute. :slight_smile:

Part of the reason for the screenshot from the wiki is that I know there are many things that are datamined, and I was hoping this would show up there, which it did. So in this instance, I’d say it’s probably more helpful to it remain as such so folks can note/report such discrepancies more easily.

Your help is greatly appreciated !



Hey @Larathiel

Thanks for the detailed feedback. We’ve relayed it to our team (through the appropriate, official way :wink: ).

1 Like

That’s good, we wouldn’t want inappropriate communications at the office after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Larathiel Is it a bug now or is the wiki bugged?

You did see my screenshots showing the bug in-game right? It’s bugged in-game, and the data-mined info on the wiki reflects this bug.

1 Like

It’s not abuse in this particular case. Your flagged post was clearly off-topic and didn’t contribute anything to this thread. (Wasn’t me who flagged it, even though I agree with the flagger that you need to take your feedback to another channel instead of hijacking other people’s threads about specific bug reports.)

There are several Fanbois and girls here… Downvoting everyhing where someone says something bad about Funcom.

And THIS was even related to the post. Because, how can you frick up tables with names??? HOW??? This just shows that Funcom has ZERO quality CONTROL. ZERO!!! It annoys me everyday more and more.
How can you throw out a patch and have tested a small amount of things? How can you flip up THRALL tanners name (TOPIC related), when there wasnt even a change!! We got a NEW cook (Corms).

Some thralls’ names were intentionally changed afterwards (e.g. what used to be the Legendary Armorer for Dogs of the Desert got an actual proper name). The database entry name has not been changed because for the most part, it’s irrelevant because it won’t show to the players.

Then, when a database is modified (e.g. by adding a new thrall), and an additional new line is accidentally created, it would possibly bump the next item in the database forward. This kind of error would actually be very easy to make, and not very easy to notice during QA, because who checks all NPC names for every patch?

That’s the “how”. That’s the part that is relevant to the topic. Ranting about the quality of quality control is not. You’d have better success if you made a separate thread about that, possibly in the General discussion forum, and kept your tone civil and constructive.

If they made it so stupid, its still their fault… (you are talking with a developer who has >20 years experience - also in databases).

Bingo! Funcom should do this. At the end of patch, 2-3 guys with a checklist check everything. Or you have AUTOMATED tests who do this… Test driven development wasnt made for fun, but because of such things.

PS.: Funcom closes every thread pretty fast, where you say anything bad about them… And that without Chinese influence…

Alright, since the purpose of this thread has been achieved and the feedback relayed to our team, we’ll proceed to close this thread as some people are using it to derail this and other conversations.
Please do read and keep our community guidelines for future interactions, as an agreement to follow them is a requisite to keep interacting in our forums.

1 Like