Red Mother Bow is broken op on thralls

That would be a fine solution, but so far Funcom has shown little to no interest in differentiating the gameplay between modes on official servers.

Of course thrall damage to players is only relevant in PvP, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s not a separate value - thrall damage to players is the same as it is to creatures (guessing though, haven’t checked in the server settings as I’m away from my PC at present).

3 Likes

I was mentioning that you may need to counter the thrall. Most people are switching to archer thralls or putting bows on fighters or bearers because of the light armor poke poke meta.

To counter that you need to equip your thrall with a bow as Well and use heavy armor and shield and one handed weapon.

If I were in PVP like I used to be I would have to use this setup to stop the spear light armor combo.

I am un PVE C. If someone has a spear and light armor I’ll use my bow.

If I see someone in heavy armor. A shield and one hander I know I am in deep poop.

To further add. Splinter or a frost shot are close to the damage of the Red Mother. People would just switch to those.

We would then want to stop their use as well.

2 Likes

I don’t use thralls much, but my assumption is that they were made OP to assist solo casual players in completing journey steps. Hopefully they will tone down some of the more glaring examples (it sounds like the Red Mother bow is one), but I’m assuming there will not be a general nerf of thralls.

Not sure it is really. Some people are just too attached to what they know, like the spear meta pokey-pokey, or they refuse to use tools they deem beneath their “leet skillz” (such as thralls).

Which is just another way of saying that people have different play styles. But I think the real issue here is the difference between casual and meta gamers. There have been balance issues resulting from that disparity in every online game I have played. This one appears to be no different.

When u lose 35-50% of your health to a thrall using a bow with perfect accuracy, it’s pretty broken.

Edit:

Red mother bow also does MUCH more damage than frost shot and splinter. It’s not even close.

1 Like

Splinter is 26 damage 0 armor pen. Thats only a 4 damage output difference. Adding an advanced damage kit puts it on par with the Red Mother.

Adding armor pen gives it 15% armor pen.

Even Frost shot or Dragon bone is deadly.

But yeah. If your meta is cloth armor with a spear you will be messed up. And bad.

It makes sense.

That being said. 30% armor pen is a little much. But it did what I knew it would do which was break the spear meta.

1 Like

Shield work a best in PVE but not really much but still can out do adds in groups well. PVP is another story for Shields they just don’t make sense even do Funcom should have understand shields should have been made at least 75% damage reflection since this Game want to imitate real life. That being said. Whatever. if you going imitates the past for real than get out your mind that somethings will be op. Finally I still enjoy Conan exiles very much. if you ever fought many times in real life. Good fighter never hits first that take surprise & momentum. 95% of fights is evade & keep moving choose target area that mame fast than deliver lethal blow to part that make the idiot fall hard.

Yea because 26 damage and 15% armor pen is very close to 30 damage and 45% armor pen. Splinter will not chunk you like red mother bow

I did agree that 30 pen is a little nuts. 45 is also a bit crazy. Im not sure why somone would even put an armer pen kit on something already this high up in pen category.

I’m just saying that even if the Red mother was removed from thrall usage. We would still freak out about somone using Splinter or Frostshot.

If you don’t mine me asking. What is your set up?

Melee? What weapon and what armor. Im curious.

No because it was never a problem until red mother bow was added.

I run different loadouts:

Heavy pictish w/ katana, venom daggers, 2h mace, and jhebbal sag claws.

Medium mix kambujan/cimmerian or aquilonian/reptilian gauntlets w/ spear, venom dags, 2h mace, greatsword

Light mix darfari/zamorian freebooter/reptilian gauntlets + vermin hide and godeye if possible w/ spear, 2h mace

I use a bow with gas arrows for all of these with haunch/herbal tea for heals and a stack of antidotes.

That legendary weapons are so OP in PvP in the hands of thralls because the damage they deal to player it’s the same they deal to monsters.

They are weapons designed to defeat beasts with 40k+ hp, but a player has 4-600 hp, that’s the point.

Even if a player usually have a really stronger armor value than a world boss there’s nothing able to resist that kind of damage.

I’m a PvE-Conflict player since 11 months so the problem for me do not exists (thralls do not attack players or other thralls in PvE-Conflict, a player could be hitted by a thrall only if the thrall was aiming at a npc/mob and the player unluckly happens to be in the hitbox of the thrall weapon ) but I suppose the solution could be once and for all to improuve the heavy armor.

I think arrow damage should be reduced at 10% of its original value against heavy armor.

Heavy armor needs some love for sure.

I know its not everyones cup of tea and most people forgo it completely.

I have been successful on PVP and PVE C in heavy only if I use the 4th agility perk.

Or if I jist go in dagger fighting and use the back flip. Usually with Stygian heavy or a mix to get agility up there. I have to sacrifice some points in other places but the agility bonus to armor. The dodge roll with heavy armor and some decent weapons works quite Well at mitigating a fair bit of damage.

The trade off is a more tank like combo with some mobility.

But then again I feel like we are coming from games that give us over the top tank mages. Or we are used to the traditional setup of Support DPS and Tank.

This game has that meta. The problem is that its mainly solo. Even people in clans do their own thing most of the time.

Otherwise you would have someone eating damage. One person as a support and one glass cannon.

In this game we all want to deal damage. Hense why strength Vit Grit builds are the norm.

It was only a matter of time before somone threw legendary bows on thralls.

Considering the way PVP and PVE C play out you need thrall defense. The more the marrier.

Its to easy losing all of your stuff as a solo player to a group of three gankers.

To offset this you give all of your best stuff to whats likely not going to die and that is your thrall.

During PVP hours I bring out only crappy weapons I can afford to lose. My thralls get my best stuff.

I for the record do not like that aspect of this game

I wouldn’t give your best stuff to your thralls bruh, it normally just saves bombs for the people raiding

It works though

Not when I kill all your thralls. Actually did a raid last night and for the first time saw somebody trying to do that. So needless to say I didn’t spare any thralls, whereas I normally would have.

Then it sounds like you overcame the obstacle. Which is good.

I am not disagreeing on your finer points though. It sounds like you have had to adapt and are doing well at it.

I would personally just get a thrall. Put blunt arrows on it and take aggro with the shield. Knock out the thrall. Switch to a weapon I would prefer to use and then lay them down.

That’s what I did do in PVP. But I left that behind.

Overall. I repsect everyones comments in This thread. I can see the dilema all ways. As I have played all three trypes of game play.

Once again, this thread wasn’t even meant to be about the raid setting because of how easy it is to cheese solo thralls. It was about team fights with thralls following players, or team fights in raids that you’re doing while enemies are online. So your strategy wouldn’t even work.

But let’s be real here, 70% of the time people will be offline raiding. It’s too easy to run out of your base full enc build and get away with most of your stuff, so offline raiding is always preferred. That’s the main problem for me personally.

Edit: I just reread that longer response you had. But still, I don’t recommend doing that just because if you die, your thrall dies. But sometimes your thrall will die without you dying. My point is there isn’t really a reason to give your thrall the best stuff because you’re the only one with a chance at getting out alive alone if you lose the fight. Ofc it will still help to have a red mother bow on a thrall instead of you though. And this is where the problem is at.

Just for the record, but that’s not a given. Sure, if the thrall is in a fight it cannot win, it’ll die. But it doesn’t keel over dead the moment you die. Just clearing that up.