Removal of PVP, PVE, and PVE-C

Very well said. Don’t that feel like you are derailing anything just putting out things that you learned. Every poster here has some good points. Leaving my opinions out since I don’t play on official servers. It would be a cool option for private servers.

5 Likes

This part weakens the rest of your opinion. Besides, there are many a thread about toxicity on all server types. Just saying.

2 Likes

So far great feedback.

Yeah I was thinking that but as Codemage said…is it a bad thing or just a new type of economy game included. (you get to bank it but there is a 10% fee) plus there would be a heavy amount of trust there to literally give the keys to the castle to another clan.

However the other aspect that I didn’t think of in this would be the natural evolution to where PVE clans would just “pay” PVP’ers to fight it out in a type of cold war on the server…not sure if that is a good thing or not but it would be the natural progression of such a game.

Yeah this is one where I can’t come up with a good solution outside of either having zones of building for specific types of play (which would get silly complicated and therefore I hate it) or an ever increasing purge dynamic that eventually forces clans to move from their original base to somewhere else.

Yep and that I see as a huge problem as evident on the forums. The segregation is so thick that people can’t even contemplate the other without getting stressed out and angry. To quote silverado, “that ain’t right”. But you, and some others, pose a different take…that the segregation is fine as is.

Correct and you aren’t going to get attacked either. You and your build would be considered scenery to the PVP’ers. PVE-C would be able to attack PVE-C and PVP but no building damage. Only PVP could attack bases and have their bases attacked.

That is the way it is now because of the segregation. If it’s mixed, would their main focus still be out to get people or would they adapt with the server’s new mix to appreciate the PVE elements more?

It’s not the type of play but the type of player. Yes unsavory types gravitate towards PVP but as @CodeMage pointed out, there are plenty of untrustworthy folks in the PVE-C side and I have see pretty toxic builds on the PVE side.

Hi apparently we just met, I’m erjoh. I like to squirrel and enjoy banter. Nice to meet you.

Yep and there is nothing wrong with that but I believe combining everyone into one bucket will help all of us recognize changes that come from development and stop this PVE vs PVP junk.

But were these types made by the game’s segregation and therefore we would see new archtypes of players come out of this or were these archtypes that each game style were designed for?

I love this idea for a modified PVP approach but it does limit the PVE crowd that are higher level and it sets a tone towards PVE that I’m not that comfortable with by equating them to a more elementary status. It would actually cement a bias against PVE from PVP crowds.

Yeah I’ve played on PVE servers. It’s just a different hell hole. What I want to do is destroy all the hell holes and put everyone together. That way we all can hold eachother accountable when we start getting into hell hole mode.

I wouldn’t think this is that hard since they changed the thrall damage against player percentiles. I would have thought there could be a server solution to determine what a specific player can affect on the server depending on defined field value at character generation.

2 Likes

I like the idea, but I have questions. Would we still be able to opt to continue leveling up to 60 on PVE servers, at the price of giving up access to PVE-C and PVP with that character?

This looks like a solution looking for a problem. For example, the issues this seeks to solve:

Players understand game types quite well. PVP on means you can click on someone and they lose hp. PVE means it does nothing. There’s nothing really more to it. People add on layers but that is a community issue not a game one. If we were to play flag football for example, everyone understands its not to tackle, and when someone does we deal with them individually. We don’t conform both types to the same field at the same time for a chaotic sequence.

More stuff to handle means performance degrades. And that is from a technical standpoint. There’s a ton of issues such as PVE players and PVP players colluding. You could have a PVP player’s base protected by PVE structures. And as others stated, you can just give each other loot to protect as well.

What I find interesting is the idea of desegregation has its limit even in this idea. Put everyone on the same server, but they cannot clan together. What’s the point? If you can’t build together and can’t clan together, then you’re simply in each other’s way. Well collusion is definitely an interaction, but one that would have some bitter results and annoyances.

Same point as to online game in general. Interact, learn, and play together.

We have an issue with PVP and PVE in that they don’t see eye to eye on practically anything anymore and a developer that is damned if they do and damned if they don’t when designing for both. I’m suggesting locking everyone in the same room and hash out the differences together because I don’t see the game needs to be separated at all. As you pointed out, it’s just an interaction setting that is the issue that has leveled many threads on here and around the game’s community. The clan limit is needed to limit the amount of abuse PVP’ers would use in this game as leverage against other PVPers. Now unless everyone is fine with FC moderation to monitor for this type of exploitive gameplay, we have to set some boundaries because the mix does require some rules to follow.

And that is reportable. What PVE clan would be willing to risk their entire base structure and potentially gameplay for some PVP clan? Yes it could happen but since it’s against the TOC then it shouldn’t be included in any arguments for or against any ideas since it’s already addressed in zendesk reporting and enforcement policies.

1 Like

Why is the PvP community or at least the pvp players here dead set on making PvE players play alongside PvPers? The PvE community doesn’t need other players to interact with, PvE players can do all the content alone if they so desired. And the PvE community is only online for social interaction and showing off what they built. But the PvPers who’s community seems to slowly corrode away in numbers wants to drag the pve players by the neck and show them how amazing their side is when the pve community is already disgusted by anything related to the pvp community.

Its almost like Introverts vs Extroverts. PvE players are the introverts and PvP players are the Extroverts. The extroverts are trying to force the introverts to be like them but all it does is make the introverts more irritated and drained from dealing with them.

Perhaps pvp on survival games isn’t all that is cracked up to be?

I’d like to hit on this particular part. I am all for finding a way for PvP and PvE to come to an understanding for the betterment of the game. Heck, I learned a lot from PvPers on this forum explaining how things work on that side of the game and I have an appreciation for PvPers and their preferred playstyle.

That being said, I have to think about this from their side as well, not just my own (PvE-er here). I imagine it would be frustrating for a PVP character in this suggestion scenario of yours to see a handful of “abandoned” bases sitting around that they can not destroy and can not loot.

What I mean by this is, on many PvE servers there are players who leave their bases up for months, or even years but do not play on the server anymore. They log in to refresh the base timer and leave.
For some PvE-ers this can be frustrating, especially if the base is an eyesore or holding a build location hostage that you might want to build in. But the problem is, it’s often not against TOS, so we have to deal with these abandoned builds all the time. Logging in to refresh a build is not a TOS violation. Now, I am not at all saying that taking breaks is wrong, I take 2 month breaks a couple times a year. A year long break while leaving your build is a bit much though.

So, for PvP, I could imagine this situation would be annoying for those players because they can’t destroy it or loot it- just like PvE-ers can’t.

I’m open to discussing other ways for PvP and PvE to get along and understand each other’s points of view. I’m just not sure this suggestion is the solution yet.

There is also the opportunity for server preferences to shift over time. Bear with me, I’m not the best at explaining sometimes.

For example, say a server with majority PvE characters would be considered a “PvE server” until too many players take breaks and more PvP characters are created or transferred onto the server changing the majority of players to PvP. Remaining PvE find themselves no longer on a “PvE server”. Even if players self-segregate to play with their preferred playstyle, it’s not guaranteed to stay that way.

I could see players on all sides of the aisle not liking the shifting dynamics of servers and having to transfer all the time to find the server balance they desire.

1 Like

If Funcom gave modders a way to make a map (or modify an existing one) so that certain regions are PVP and others PVE, I would convert to the Church of the Private Servers in a blink :smiley:

I know my idea is not original, but I’m pretty sure it would work out well, especially with a map that’s designed to have certain resources only in the PVP area.

1 Like

There are some PVP servers the same way…Yeah I know it’s supposed to just be blown up but if it’s a freaking layers thick build, there is no benefit to blow into it with 500+ bombs to get a few thralls and legendary gear so they sit there just like PVE until the clan in question makes a mistake and you demolish it with glee.

I was thinking of that plus building damage. Basically, you could designate zones on the map to be what we now call PVE, PVE-C, or PVP. And yeah, some GUI indicator would be necessary.

Ideally, the PVE-C zones would have some NPC settlements and dungeons that offer stuff that isn’t available elsewhere, and PVP zones would have some resource spawns that aren’t available elsewhere. That would encourage conflict and trade.

And that’s why I said I would like Funcom to give modders the ability to do this. Neither Exiled Lands nor Isle of Siptah is designed for this approach.

4 Likes

The point here is that it IS possible to do, whether it is worth the effort or not.

Have hope. Skyrim and FO4 both have the options of mods for consoles.

1 Like

I am not sure this will work well. I will read all the comments later but did glance at them.

For those who like to PvP all the time, finding tons of PvE players will hinder their enjoyment. From my play time on PvE-C server in the past, most players are not PvPers, so then to fall more under the PvE catagory, although with PvE-C there can be “friendly” fire during PvP hours when grouping to complete some PvE content, which can make the fights more interesting. (Note, most of my PvP related deaths were in this category of friendly fire on the PvE-C server)

I think, having a server filled with mostly the opposite play style may not be fun for that player who is not doing what majority of the community is doing. I am sure it could work, but can have logistical issues. Logging on a server with 10 players as a PvPer but only 1 is only willing to PvP, may make it less fun for the PvPer.

Overall, if they remove the distinction on the Official servers, it would not change much in my play style, since I hardly PvP in Conan Exiles and would just mark myself as a PvE-er like the rest of my clan. I am sure all the PvE servers players would do the same, so this would just hinder the PvP player more than anything else since it would be harder for them to find a like minded server. Our bases would never be raided, but it would be harder for PvP raiding players to find a raid available base if they are server hoppers so that could be a plus.

3 Likes

This is possible; EEWA has outposts that are pvp areas. Now all you need is a willing modder…

2 Likes

Really? With building damage and everything? That’s awesome!

That is cool. I did not know EEWA had that feature.

I cant swear to the building damage, but I do know that some mods make building pieces that cannot be damaged in pvp so what you ask should be possible, even if the ouposts on eewa dont have building damage with pve server settings.

1 Like

And this is why I said its a solution looking for a problem. Contrary to the musings of a loud minority on the forums, most PVPers and PVEers don’t mind each other. The fix to them getting along is simply to treat bigotry as bigotry and remove it.

Let’s be honest, usually when someone references someone else by a playtype its used as a slur. Treat it like any other slur and the problem more or less goes away.

Segregation with busing is still segregation.

1 Like