Thall pot food consumption

Returned to normal after a server restart ( I rented a private server ), so the thralls are at 4+ days again.

But the only server-option of the new thrall-hunger system that G-Portal lets me control is the damage the thralls get when going hungry, all other options of this system are NOT under my Control as server-admin yet.

I fail to remember where I’ve seen it on these forums, but there has been some server commands via .ini that have been floating around that I think are working right. I’ve never used gportal but I assume they have an FTP function.

I have small groups of thralls in small/medium bases, and there are no big issues while the number of thralls is relatively low. Things are way more complicated in my large bases.
But in general, I agree that the amount of food needed by thralls is ridiculously high, considering that this system came into place with the true purpose of getting rid of the abandoned thralls that by now are everywhere.
The pot system seems bugged to me, at least using them on large groups of thralls over large areas, some thralls get overfed, while the thrall standing next to it gets nothing, no matter how many pots you place.
While I can see the PvP implication of this system, I can’t see any other purpose on PvE honestly, beside scaring even more people off the game, of course, but I think they were doing a great job at that even before this update.

1 Like

can i check when you said dried meat, have you been able to give anything Dried, to thralls?
when i tried giving a thrall (in a wheel), something dried, nothing happened.
and when i gave it a small stack of about 5 purified flesh (from the yog pit), it instantly burned through them at about 2 per second.

Some things I have noticed. Have 4 thralls eating off one pot in a small base- these thralls have consumed one gruel every 2 hours. They remain at a little under 7 days. Each has about 5 gruel on them.

Have another thrall pot which had 10 thralls eating out of it in a different location. 2 of those thralls had full inventories and were “starving” as they could not get food in their inventory. I stuck a stack of food on them and watched it instantly be consumed and only give one hour increase in the timer. If I fed them one food at a time manually they would tic up 1 hour per food. Once I got them maxxed I was able to let them use the thrall pot and everything is fine now.

• Crafted at the Carpenter’s Bench.[1]
  • The pot is the size of a foundation.[2]
  • Thrall Pots have a 50 meter radius.[3]
  • The Thrall Pot increases the expiration time of the foods.

Conclusions made by players:[4]

• As soon as it is distributed to a thrall’s inventory, it reverts back to a normal decay timer and they only take 5 units of food at a time.
  • Thralls take just over 7 days of food that is consumed immediately plus 5 units. The total amount of time from the consumed food is 7 days 9 hours. If you do not replenish your food pots in this time, they will start a death count down timer of a few minutes once they are out of food. During this period, their health drops quickly, as they build health back up slower than they will lose it once they are without food.
  • Thralls closest to the Thrall Pot will draw food first with those farthest away drawing last.
  • One pot will cover a small base easily.
  • Some food may be eaten faster than other food.
  • Currently Thrall Pot duplicates the food s.

you can feed fish, did it l yesterday, good result, it fills up to 7 seven day (6d 23h), the rest of fish stays in thrall pot waiting to deployed
if you feed the preferred meals, then there are perks e.g. grilled steak gives a plus to strength if I see it correctly, didn’t try the other, Funcom cut the results of hunting, elk king is down to 14 exotic flesh from nearly 60 before.
So, fish is the cheapest way to feed the thralls, and I forgot to say I am playing on PVE, it really doesn’t matter if they are buffed

A few more things.

If a thrall has al 5 inventory slots filled e.g. melee weapon, ranged weapon 3x arrow slots it doesn’t receive food.
If a thrall has only one free inventory slot free it doesn’t receive food

Basically you need two free slots to get food. So max one stack of ammunition
 for when they fix that.

2 Likes

Noticing that food is now rotting on thralls which is silly since they should be maintaining what they need and replenishment off the pot to avoid decay.

So you are grinding for food and having to contend with decay at the same time which extends the waste of time built in to this mechanic.

1 Like

Here is what happened to my server Settings, without me changing anything:

This is the original value for the hunger-time in minutes.

And this is what it suddenly changed to :frowning:

You’ll notice that while the number changed, the slider still has the same position

And a restart of the server did not help this time.

Has this been made into a bug report form yet? If not, if you would please post your findings there, I’m sure that would be helpful.

Well depending on what time you commented on, at the time of this writing it is 1:19 am in Norway. But Jen’s and the rest of the community team do a pretty good job of gathering Intel. Other devs do read the forums but often don’t comment. And behind the scenes, the modding community often is assisting with bugs, as was a recent case with that new boundry in the North issue. I’m not saying that Funcom doesn’t need to help make it clearer what they do and don’t know about, but there are a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on.

2 Likes

Yeah they really need to up their game there. Though I’m sure they’re aware of it (they’ve certainly intimated as much on a few occasions). I do urge everyone involved to not drag their feet too much, a less-than-perfect way of collecting and answering bug reports is still better than nothing!

There’s a world of difference between shooting bug reports off into a perceived vacuum, or feeling like they’re noted down, investigated and (hopefully) fixed.

And of course it’s most important that it happens, but they shouldn’t underestimate the effect of what it looks like from the outside, either.

Same thing when you experience a bug - which is often frustrating: If someone can point to it being on a verified (ie, Funcom-sponsored) bug list with a status, it feels a lot better than if it’s just a bunch of other players confirming they have it too.

Now that G-Portal added all server options of the thrall-hunger-system to their interface I am finally able to switch the System OFF.

I came online today and the maximum time was still 240 minutes. I changed it to 20160 minutes (14 days), came online again and it was at 10080 minutes

I fed my thralls, most of which were at 0 seconds time left, by thrallpod and by hand, but they all stayed at 0 seconds!

This is soooooo bugged :frowning:

I will keep it switched off until I read that this is fixed, or forever, whichever comes sooner :wink:

I’ve never put out food pots and all my Thralls always have food for 7 days. I just keep food near them in chests or ice box. It’s just the food I would use for my character, no swill or gruel. I only have about 10 thralls though. Seems like food pots are bugged.

However, Rhinos and Elephants are dropping so little meat right now it seems over nerfed. Like only 25% of what used to drop.

if you pick up a thrall and put it in a box, and later take it out again, does it use any food while in the box?

hmm interesting does thrall eat thrall ? Yog confirmed ?

With a mod it might be possible to do pick up a placed thrall and put away 
 guess only testing with that mod on will answer this

Shooting from the hip, but if a mod turns the thrall back into an item, I’d wager good money it no longer needs feeding. It’s the same reason our workstation thralls don’t need feeding: they’re technically still items (that look like people). But obviously everything is possible once modding is involved :slight_smile:

ah yes i play with “pickup+” as was new and didnt know if some buildings would need to be placed near certain resources to work. (its actually pretty useful) - ok thanks ill have to try with updates and mod but if the mod still works with new version, it (probably) will work as mikey mentioned