Thralls not attacking enemies → Investigated, hard to reproduce

You forgot they had the mandatory vacation as well as you are forgetting that this bug is on their critical fix list and a top priority.

Oh I didn’t forget about their vacation.

1 Like

We know that the more info we give you helps and most of us do try to give you as much info as we can.

Unfortunately, this bug isn’t that way, we walk past a mob, sometimes it attacks, other times not, there really isn’t much else we can tell you. If we hit them, they will normally get hostile.

Same with the thralls, they see a threat, run to it, then just watch from the sidelines. There really isn’t anything else we can add to help except for guesses, speculation and feelings.

There are plenty of server hosts here too, if any of our logs will help, just ask. You can even have a copy of my game.db file if it would help.

Most of us understand the complexity of trying to pin down an intermittent bug and know it won’t be fixed over night, but, that’s also why many will ask why you are focusing on things like DLC and Pets rather than putting 100% of your team to rooting out the game breaking bugs first. No-one builds anything on unstable foundation.

If the devs would like us to run any reporting or monitoring software on our servers for gathering intel, I’d be happy to do that too.

4 Likes

On singleplayer, it’s odd what they’ll consider to be threats too. For instance: some placed guards (largely for flavor) around my base near the southern newbie river. Shellbacks routinely wandered through. Sometimes my thralls would stand & watch them wander by; this made sense, as shellbacks typically aren’t aggressive. Sometimes, though, they’d treat that shellback like the greatest threat to Hyborian civilization, while the thing wasn’t displaying any aggression. No rhyme or reason that I could discern.

thralls have pain to fight big creatures like mammoths, dragons and so on. It’s a problem of hit-boxes. They simply can do nothing against, so they do nothing.

i think you’re all mixing different issues there.
the issue pitmonk is describing is concerning everysingle ennemy in the game and has come shortly after the big Mother of all patch update from what i remember and it really seem to be RANDOM but what sirmang and vattende are talking about is a much older issue which is simply related to thralls AI on big ennemies hitboxes.

So these are 2 different issues imo but both are serious ones and worth mentionning.
i just hope that in all our feedback we don’t bring more confusion than our good intentions to the devs team.

3 Likes

Yes, I remember during the test live of the MOAP that some hyenas would not aggro when the server was at full capacity. When playing on a quiet server (even one that needed a reset as it would get laggy) the animals would aggro just fine from a distance, but with player population up (as many have stated) it begins to mess with whether or not they will aggro.

This seems to be a separate issue from the base defending thralls not attacking, as Vintagebeef’s youtube videos shows the thralls not attacking visitors even at low populations (his videos show a lot of bugs just from normal game play).

1 Like

Got on last night. 6-8 Central time in the US. #1726 PVE Official Server. Walked through looking for thralls Pagoda, Black Hand Galleon, Sep City, and Asgarath without being attacked once. Didn’t find any. I killed everyone in Asgarath for the Steel but easily could have walked through without being attacked.

That’s correct and we are aware, thanks for the input though.
We have narrowed down the possible causes and are close to a fix!

10 Likes

That sounds great!

in some case Thrall where not attacking befor mother of all patch, we raided so many base with thrall just looking at us.

But i agree that mother of … add make it more frequent

@Tascha that is very good to hear as if you can please tell the devs that I said to take their time to make sure this bug is fully squashed as I am sure a lot of people will be happy to hear that their Thralls will soon be able to attack normally again.

:ok_hand:

you see… I can be positive :joy:

2 Likes

ROFL PMSL @Skinny

Programmers are not interchangeable resources, unfortunately, and switching programmers with experience working on some modules to work on one they are not familiar with can result in slowing the process down rather than speeding it up. Developers who are familiar with the modules must devote time to bringing the new personnel up to speed - or correcting errors/inconsistencies introduced by developers not familiar with existing structures. It’s frustrating and possibly counter-intuitive, but it’s a well-known problem in software engineering: adding additional programmers to a task frequently costs more time in the short or even medium term than continuing with an existing team, and is more likely to reduce product quality.

3 Likes

I agree buddy, I was trying to point out the thought patterns of the average player so that Funcoms responses could be written better, then understood and accepted by as many people as possible.

1 Like

I agree to a point, I’m a developer myself but not in the game industry and so the comparison I’m making is not 100% correct. Nevertheless, what you are saying applies to very complex and certain parts of the game. The rather ‘simple’ things can be done by anyone who is familiar with the tools without having to ‘dig in’, which would otherwise require a lot of time, effort, going thru blueprints and technical documentation. There is however also a certain point that you reach where this scenario, meaning you have more people ‘dig in’ might also be beneficial because you get a new set of eyes on the issue.

1 Like

The fix for the NPC aggro issue is going in with tomorrow’s TestLive patch.
Thanks for all the help everyone! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wuhuu, thanks :smiley:

Are you able to give us a hint as to what was causing it?