Tweaked momentum-based movement - Feedback thread v2

I can say it in a shorter way:
#gitgud ^^

Ppl complains without even trying, me (not a so skilled player) managed to “master” the new dodge in what? a couple of hours? The only thing I found clunky was the grabbing onto cliffs and walls, but all the momentum in moving (or dodge as I said) was not so bad. Maybe could have been tweaked a lil’ but surely I would not return to previous balrolling away like a ninja turtle!

1 Like

It is alittle better, but still not as effective as the original system that ran perfectly. Now you can address the rolling, that is still unacceptable for the masses.

Agreed. It was perfect pre-patch, then a few pvp people complain and mess it up for the majority of the players. I say put it back the way it was for running, flipping, and such and create traps you can use to stun, cripple or knock down running opponents.

I applaud you for listening and making changes so quickly, it’s great to see such a responsive team!

• I’m gateful you’ve kept the significantly improved roll and encumbrance behaviour
  • The new momentum speeds are definitely better than pre patch which was too slow from stand still, however now perhaps a bit too quick… Not practically, however relatively to the roll speeds the other movement speeds seem disproportionality fast
  • Ideally we would get something between the new and old speeds
  • I am experiencing a new bug where the jump key press is often not recognised when already running

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, much improved! Movement is responsive again with just a hint of inertia, just as I would guess that a physically fit person living in a barbaric world probably move. Thank you!

4 Likes

The Roll should be slow, it allows for more skilled PVP.

Does anybody else see the humor in this?

Not really. it makes for a game sucking. The game is not only PVP it has a story line, creatures, etc you need to survive. PVP is just a tiny part of the game. So why ruin it for the rest of the game just to senselessly kill another player.

1 Like

It’s pretty much perfect as far as i’m concerned. Extremely grateful for Funcom’s tweaking of this! :metal:t4:

5 Likes

PvP player here,

The momentum feels as though it isnt even there, maybe .1sec delay before run starts. i believe it should be .2-3 sec delay.

As it is now, movement is better than the roll, though the roll has a place and works. the movement speed is slightly to fast.

I disagree. Movement speed is still slower than before. The roll is actually in slow motion, and must be tweaked faster.

I do not understand theses PVP players who want to play the game in slow motion like the matrix movie! And this is only to hunt low level players easier, and be even more toxic than before.

3 Likes

Hello i want to say now its much bether then before .

1 Like

It is a bit slugish but not so bad, I do miss the quickness from before

1 Like

Yes please, the game could use a bit more depth on his gameplay

I like how it is now, with the 0-to-100 running speed back. Of all the changes implemented, this one was the worst.

It wasn’t balancing or challenging, it was just annoying.

PS - If they are going to tweak this again in the future, maybe they should base it on your armor. Light and you run like you always did, medium armor and you run like you do now, and heavy you run like in the nerf a week ago.

2 Likes

Slowing people down doesn’t add depth. I am not sure where this connection comes from.

Making the dodge roll more precise and timing very specific adds a level of skill and depth.

But no complexity, depth, difficulty, or anything else good was really added with slowing down characters. Instead, all it did was remove precision and reaction based skill from the game, made fights slug fests rather then fights of ability, and it didn’t even solve the problem of people running away as both the person escaping and the person chasing were crippled by the same slow, monotonous movement.

Not only did this do nothing positive for game play in combat, but it ruined game play across 95% of the rest of the game. It wasn’t worth trading our mobility so a handful of PvP players could have a easier time killing their opponents because they could not be asked to use the tools that are already in the game for that specific purpose or be willing to try other solutions that didn’t negatively effect the other side of the player base that makes up the majority.

This didn’t make the game more intuitive, it actually made it far far less. If you want skill based, finely tuned combat, slowing combat down to just a simple slug fest is the last thing you’d want.

Not to mention the game can’t handle programmed in input lag like that. There are too many existing problems that have been in the game since the beginning that need to be resolved before handicapping our reaction time.

There’s still Thrall stuttering, Player stuttering, Thrall teleportation, roll rubber banding and more all still in the game. I want to play and be challenged by the game, not suffer and be victim to its hiccups just so a number of PvP players have slower, easier game play that narrows/removes the skill gap.

The only place slower movement presented complications and choices to players is before the fight, and gauging if you could win or not, and then committing. That singular reason is not enough of a reason, nor really a benefit worthy of crippling the rest of the entire game.

And it wasn’t more realistic. Maybe only if my character was lethargic and potentially recovering from a hangover would the momentum from before be anywhere near realistic.

I, wont argue that its more realistic now, as that point could be debated forever, however, far more important, it wasn’t fun. It was crippling game play and enjoyment of the game.

4 Likes

making something less convenient doesn’t meant it doesn’t have a meaning or impact on a larger scale.

Slowing down the player mean we have to think twice before engaging on an action.

Take the jump of a cliff for example, wisouth the slow momentum it’s possible to jump at full speed and grab the cliff with few trouble, even in urgency situation.
If we slow that down the player have to stop, croutch and then jump in order to survive the fall.

bein able to avoid this step is a habbit, having to prepare the action is more interactive with the actual gameplay and it can lead to other situation in case of other source of danger.

p.s : Lag will be fix someday, i don’t think it’s pertinent to include it in gameplay balance.

But I still don’t understand the desire to slow and split up game play like that. I understand what you are getting at if you are stating ‘If my character is too slow to react to a situation, avoid that situation’ would then be a added piece of combat.

However, thats not really making it more intuitive or complex. That just means players will be more cautious. That’s not a challenge, that’s a game design change.

I am sure there are plenty of solutions to make combat more complex, varied, and resolve issues like crippling player movement. This is compounded and even more true in the fact that for this one game play change that doesn’t serve a purpose, it negatively effects so many other parts of the game.

People keep stating it makes game play more complex and I still just don’t see that. And I haven’t really heard a good explanation as to why.

The roll change certainly added to combat. I still dislike how slow it is. I can perfectly dodge 1-2 swings from my enemy and still get hit by another 2 in just the time it takes to stand.

However, that change weather overboard or not, was needed and make dodge a combat mechanic again.

But slower movement, when everyone is effected by it equally, doesn’t add challenge, complexity, or any real thought that you wouldn’t have been making with quicker movement, you’d just be making those choices quicker.

How does slowing everyone down do anything other then make combat more simple? It narrowed the skill gap and just put people toe to toe.

edit Not to mention, in response direct to your reference of climbing and sliding. That was a major identity of Conan Exiles. Having the smooth Parkour and the pure enjoyment of just exploring the map with smooth running, jumping, and climbing is one of the things that set Conan Exiles above its competitors and made it successful. The removal of the smooth climbing system was one of the worst things to come of the momentum patch.

We are reckless barbarians with athletic prowess. Not shut in desk jockeys that’ll sprain something putting a foot over a ledge…
:neutral_face:

3 Likes

It will be completely rolled back, people continue to whine and whine about dodge, movement and now even mounts they want rolled back :rofl:

The movement in this patch actually feels more arcadey and the oposite of what was said in the stream. Next you might see dagger dodge added to all armors becsuse that will make dodging esier.

And soneone just suggested bethesda difficulty over tactical movement :rofl: make enemies though make then sword sponges of hit points, certainly will make this game much more interesting.

It would be funny if not tragical. I am convinced some of those whiners are wildcard employees trying to bring Conan down to the level of shallowness of Ark by demanding any creative updates be rolled back.

Could you explain how spreading conspiracy theories and posting predictions that appeal solely to readers’ emotions is any better than what you call “whining”?

4 Likes