Tweaked momentum-based movement - Feedback thread v2

My god. I am glad I could finally have someone confirm my sanity…

I don’t mind, but I could have sworn that was changed…

2 Likes

My daughter played for almost 5hrs tonight after updating and says the movement is about perfect although she really had no issues with how it was. I watched for awhile while we were drinking and some notes we both saw while cantering and running/walking from the east side of the map to almost the Mounds for a new building/town location.
*She has no account here so we are ‘both’ typing this after playing.

• It seems Wield and Unwield works again. Bonus!

• Still no Vanity Camera when riding/mounted the horse.

• The walking (Backspace) still does not work correctly since she had to fully stop and watch the camera zoom in slightly and even then it still only worked 50% of the time.

• The Canter to Walk to Canter (Backspace) works perfectly on the horse though. Again, we both are of the opinion the horses are very well done. The momentum on the horses is still a little slow but all in all the horses are amazingly done. Many others say one cannot turn the horses well enough but simply slowing down the horses can turn very easily and even in a really quick fashion. Simply takes practice.

• Dodge/Roll is part of this momentum like it or not. It has really good points and the animation is good enough. Would be better to have a small ‘Dive and Roll’ but it is how it is right now. She basically has said that using a shield is ridiculously difficult now. Example she is blocking/tanking for the follower then wants to Dodge/Roll out of the way. She has to release the defensive shield 1st before the roll. Basically once the shield is dropped there is a small delay where ‘most’ quick acting (or snouted) NPCs/Creatures get an instant hit and causes a little ‘stumble’. She then rolls then just when popping out she gets another instant hit before being able to get the shield up or a sword lunge off, which causes another minor ‘stumble’. So basically she put the shield away and simply used a 1 handed sword which then she took a few hits but mangled everything with just some good dodge timing and a follower. Alpha creatures attack a lot faster and turn in place really fast so rolling left/right only results in getting quickly bitten by the short roll. So rolling only when the creatures do their special attacks (like a lunge or slam) could she roll and counter well. Basically now when she sees glowing blue eyes she simply leaves them be since the game is cheating their movement. It was interesting to watch and her cussing at the display. :smiley:

• Disengaging looks to be much better with the new momentum update. 1 roll and turn and out of combat. Looked super easy to do and very repeatable. Not going to make comment on PvP since many people in these threads get way carried away with their opinions. Leaving it at that.

• Climbing is a mess. She has great agility so only taking half fall damage but basically she is downing Aloe Soup like she is connected to them by I.V. :laughing: She despises the new climbing as part of this new momentum update. I cannot disagree more either.

At the end of this play-through she basically logged out of the game and asked me to turn the server off. I don’t play Conan Exiles because I know what it is. She wanted to play and was having a blast since November. She got myself and 2 other employees also ‘sort of’ hooked back in and we were really having some fun. After this last update and patch all 4 of us agree that this game is simply not ‘enjoyable’.

The clothing and armor in the DLCs (we purchased all of them to support YOU…Funcom) has really made this game into a really good fashion with many of the various combinations and dye colors that can be put together to looks great! However, the harvesting hitch, the absolutely horrible AI, ruined climbing, and simply strange things about combat that continue from long ago. We decided to come back and we did have a lot of fun up until this/these updates.

At the end of the day, if this game is not fun it is time to simply put it away and do something that is fun. This time you lost a few customers for good. Not that 4 people really matter all that much.

You wanted feedback/advise so here it is. Good luck!

Peace out.

3 Likes

I have been trying out the PC hotfix for a few hours. I feel relieved, and hope that the correction to momentum remains. I am still quite on edge about the overall process of development change, and also feel the way this has been received by the community has shown there are a lot of factors to consider. People with opinions opposed to mine have good reasons, and I hope that a server setting is able to be added that can satisfy the different views.

I no longer feel like there’s artificial “input lag” and exploration, movement, jumping, climbing, and sliding seem to no longer break my engagement. Simple downtime movement doesn’t feel like labor anymore, and I’m very happy about that. I can think of the game as a proper escape again.

There did seem to be a community split with controller-players being more fond of the “slug” movement. I’m keyboard-and-mouse, but I value their enjoyment. Console controllers may need some movement adjustments (that feel like crippling to me) to enjoy finer control, and I hope some development and test resources can look at that a little. I’m unsure if a client-side adjustment could also be relevant.

I was glad to see Alex’s rationale in the stream around the changes, but there are some points where I feel a lot of disagreement, and while I can tell the team does balance viewpoints, I have a strong feeling that some of the opinions expressed are not constructive. The notion that PVE players are “never in danger” is pretty clearly not true. We die, we die all the time. You can run from a threat a lot of the time, but you can never win just by running, and I don’t think we log in just to run away. There’s a share of the time we die trying to beat a challenge, but there are also a lot of other deaths that are neither due to player stupidity nor due to a challenge the designers tried to build. I’ve rubber-banded into lava and died. I’ve been mobbed by a swarm of wolves, sabertooths, and mammoths that didn’t render until I was on top of them. I’ve died when NPC’s were winding up for the overhead sword chop and I’d already dodged out of the way. I’ve died falling when my climbing grip failed for no reason. It usually isn’t a death, but I’ve had attacks I made with my last bit of stamina go straight through enemies for no reason. My thralls have died going through map rooms and elevators.

The point I’m trying to make with that is that there are a lot of limitations baked into the game’s technology that we can’t get rid of cheaply, and the ability to survive your best through reaction time when the world itself can be an unreliable narrator is an important feature that keeps the game playable and enjoyable - not a problem every day, but enough to really matter. It’s way easier for the overall system to allow running away from a monster than to make sure that monster renders in the right spot at a distance all the time, always takes damage when it should, and always can be dodged when the player makes the right choice.

9 Likes

It’s definitely better now, it doesn’t feel as sluggish as it did

5 Likes

Well, at least I could enjoy this game a couple of days lol thanks for the Conan exiles 2 demo Funcom, now back to the good old roll roll roll run pvp.

Seriously, I’m just frustrated, It’s just the same bad system as before, not immersive at all.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s too damn low. At least make it closer to what it was, now is just as bad as before, without the improvement.

Imo it’s still too easy to outrun dangers. PvE is easily done by engaging and kiting occasionally when running low on HP. Imo AI is the bigger problem here not player movement. All PvE entities need to aggro and attack a lot faster and rather a bit ahead of player movement than as it is now.

cba to read this thread so have a rogue uneducated opinion from PvE player:

Much better now, feels smooth and reactive. Initial speed is spot on and easy to adapt to.
My little grey church-yard is 90% tight allyways and cluttered corners, I cannot tell you how much better this feels to walk round.

Funcom you devious aphids you got this spot on with iteration 2! That’s a new record!

2 Likes

Glad you said “most players”, because main thing I use both dodge and running for is for fight positioning. Like with the elephants, if you can get behind or beside them you can avoid a lot of the tramples.

OK, OK, I do try and run from the big cats, but it’s never worked for me, they rip my tripes out if I run :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To increase difficlulty in PVE, the solution is NOT to slow down the player movements and roll. It is wrong.

The solution is to increase AI, strength, attacks, speed, etc … of animals and NPC. For example in Rust game, bears run faster than you, so you can not escape by running (you fight, or climb on something).

And for PVP, once again fighting others players is a very, very, very small part of the game time. And on medium and low populations servers it never happen! And most players are friendly. So no need to ruin the whole game for this.

6 Likes

Thanks for fixing the momentum issue before holidays. I was afraid we would be stuck with it through holidays. Would have been a game killer for me at least.

The current setting feels much better. And I would vote against any change that leans toward the initial momentum setting.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the changes made to player movement, feels much better now. I can actually navigate and do things in my base again efficiently. Thanks for listening to the community.
On a side note, the harvesting is still slower than it was pre-mounts-patch. Can we do something to bring that back to what it was before the mounts? That would complete the fixes to the mounts patch.
Also I forgot to mention climbing. The climbing is now fun again and I wanted to thank you for that. That is a big part of the game.

For the people complaining about the speed being tweaked back closer to the original game mechanics: Every PVP game I have played that has slowed things down to appease a small fraction of the community, has ended up destroying the game. These games no longer exist for that very reason. Slowing the other players down to make it easier to get kills doesn’t increase the necessity for skill, it lowers it, and it just makes the game sluggish and boring.

3 Likes

Nah that’s not fix ! there is no momentum at all now, i would like it to be return a bit more.

The game is already too friendly and the slowish added so mutch more emphase on a player action. And it was realy cool to try and avoid attack withouth dodge to counter attack more deadly.

I feel that ppl are just too acustomed with post launch combat but i was feeling early acces brutal and dangerous fight again and now it have been remove from the game a second time :’(

Im happy with it, keep rolling new DLCs !
Next year new map with settlement and sorcery !
:wink:

2 Likes

No it’s still there, rolling is still tiny and the charge up run is still there, just not over the top.

As people have said, the change was made for a niche part of the game yet affected everyone. This was not the best way to make PvP more challenging. Handicapping everyone so a small selection of players can have their way is not anyway to balance anything. They should add tools for you to trap, cripple or stun those who run away, by doing this they affect the direct problem and can make PvP actually fun and challenging

3 Likes

Not questioning Aldenya, but has anyone else noticed this?

My horses seem exactly the same as before the hotfix, now. I haven’t noticed any difference there.

Only movement change I did notice (and of course right off) was player movement. I still feel the momentum myself, but it certainly has been pulled back to what persisting players have been used to in the past.

However mounts seemed untouched…

Thank you thank you thank you! Yesterday was the first time I actually enjoyed playing since the update. I feel like a warrior again, not some doddering old woman hobbling around my base. The adjustments to the movement system are so much better now. Thanks again for tweaking the momentum.

4 Likes

Not trying to be antagonistic, but could the people saying its ‘bad’ or a ‘bad system’ at least expand on why?

There have been many reasons and solutions given for why the momentum was way to slow and hindered game play, but so far the only two reasons I have ever seen as to why people liked being restricted to a much slower game play has been:

1. PvP people roll away and disengage
  2. Some people perceived the slow movement as being ‘realistic’

Are there any other reasons people want to be slowed down again besides these? I am genuinely interested.

If those 2 reasons truly are the only reasons, I still firmly believe the current state is far superior.

For:

1. There are other ways to adjust PvP to resolve how easy it is to disengage then crippling the rest of the game (to essentially touch on and adjust a singular, small aspect of the game). Not only did the momentum not really solve the problem of disengaging anyways, as all players suffered from the momentum issues, it just dumbed down fights and caused people to just stand toe to toe with each other and hack and slash. This was actually far worse combat.

But there are already solutions in the game for players that run, Arrows, Orbs, traps. If these are difficult to use, they could be adjusted, or even added to with other options, like Nets (barbed, poisonous, corrupted nets?). Combat could apply a condition either logically through physical reflection (pressured) or mentally (enraged) that causes combat to be harder to run from with maybe a penalty to Stamina as you try to create distance from your enemy.

It seems like there are endless ideas that could resolve the issue people are annoyed with, without crippling the other 95% of the game time we spend on Conan, and putting in artificial time sinks/and false challenge.

1. Well, on this one, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Personally it didn’t feel realistic at all to me. It just felt like input lag. There was certainly to far heavy of a delay to even get close to mimicking reality. However, I don’t think ‘realism’ even if it were to be closer, shouldn’t be a driving factor behind a change. ‘Fun’ should be the #1 factor, and it just wasn’t fun. Combine 2 years experience in the game, with at least my personal focus being on building, it was just a hindering, crippling experience. It was put in the game for a minor problem that could be resolved in other ways. It just wasn’t fun. And at least 60% of the forum feedback agreed that it wasn’t fun. If you weigh that against the 16%, well, I would think it makes sense to design towards what the majority find ‘fun’. Realism takes a back seat to that.

All of this really doesn’t matter that much as your discontent will be resolved with the server option/control and at that point, everyone gets essentially what they were hoping for and you can go back to your superiorly slow system.

But is there any other reasons save for those 2? I haven’t been able to come up with any further, nor seen any other reasons posted. I am interested in expanding my perspective as to why people actually like it the other way.

2 Likes

As one of the people complaining about the movement changes due to their PHYSICAL REAL WORLD IMPACT on me, I am absolutely thrilled with version 2.0. It is definitely different from pre-patch but my stomach is no longer complaining about it. I was actually able to play and enjoy the game for hours last night!

It is not exactly the same as pre-patch, and I tried several different armors to see how the movement was impacted. In light, I almost felt like there was no impact other than some minor stuttering if I tried to go from sprint to run or in turning. In medium it was a teeny bit more noticeable. In heavy I was most affected by the change.

Am I ok with this version? ABSOLUTELY. Thank you for listening.

3 Likes

I personally haven’t noticed any changes in the way mounts handle. Furthermore, Tascha has confirmed – before the patch – that changing the players’ movement would not affect the mounts’ movement:

(you need to click through to the thread, because “Yes :slight_smile: Correct” isn’t a very good summary of what was discussed)