Tweaked momentum-based movement - Feedback thread v2

Post-Update Mailbag dev stream, at the 30:23 mark:

1 Like

Except you were talking about everyone ā€˜whiningā€™ when many of us commented on solutions or ideas as well. I suppose you must have either missed that or glossed over all the constructive criticism coming from the community in your sweeping generalization of everyone whining.

Besides, in the Dev stream, that was released before this hot fix, they did mention they were adding server controls for this feature, meaning the idea you presented, is actually known to be coming.

So just be patient and there should be no complaints as you are getting exactly what you asked for.

2 Likes

jumping, falling, small movements and sprinting all feel a LOT better now. Thankyou for the adjustments!

2 Likes

That is where I disagree. Maybe some have been offering suggestions, but most only rant to switch it back and do not offer suggestions. Even during the dev stream most comments were calling to just switch it back without offering any suggestions/compromises. I am done with this discussion.

The movement is now fluid and it no longer feels like Iā€™m walking on ice. This is a vast improvement, and all my previous complaints are now void. Iā€™m really happy about this change. ^^

4 Likes

I saw plenty of that on both sides. Thatā€™s what I was referring to above with ā€˜there was plenty of noise as wellā€™.

I donā€™t think it is a productive argument to get into (nor aligned with the topic at hand) to argue which side of perspectives were worse at articulating themselves.

There was, without question, however, many posts that were critical and constructive. I am sorry you missed those as I believe there were quite a few intelligent posts and are probably directly the reason Funcom paid attention to them (along with of course just the raw numbers of people speaking out).

I will re-iterate however, just because some people donā€™t articulate their thoughts well, or just react to things rather then consider them, it doesnā€™t do anyone any good, yourself most of all, to write everyone off exactly the same in such a way, as it completely deflates your own stance and people wonā€™t give you any real attention other then that of a negative reaction, not to mention is rude and completely dismisses the people you are joining the conversation with. You out yourself right away and cripple any good discussion from the start.

If you are giving any weight or credit to spam during a stream, I think you need to re-evaluate where actual good information, ideas and discussion come from.

Im sorry the discussion was frustrating for you.

1 Like

Sure, and Alex pretty much confirmed they want to do that - add the slider, that is. I was just curious if itā€™s possible to do it via .ini file or something now, since they (naturally) havenā€™t had a chance to include it as a GUI option.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see anything new in the .ini file, only the old entries:

PlayerMovementSpeedScale=1.000000
PlayerSprintSpeedScale=1.000000

LOLā€¦ You mean running from Combat, because that is what most players want with a speed up.

Thats just factually untrue.

There are much better ways of adjusting combat and adding complexity then imposing a faulty input lag. I firmly believe combat can be adjusted to be more fun without actually hindering the game everywhere else.

The reasons the momentum change was problematic was brought up and detailed over a number of excellent posts. ā€œI canā€™t run from Combatā€ was rarely, if ever was a criticism.

That is a false narrative you are trying to spread. I donā€™t know where you got that idea, but it isnā€™t properly structured.

1 Like

But not all, hey. ^^ In all seriousness - yes, often I could use good speed to disengage and run away, but by far not always, and during those last two updates, I keep getting reminded how important it is, being nimble. To illustrate - Iā€™m a light armor user, and with new roll-dodge, I seldom roll back from a human NPC opponent; instead, I roll sideways from a blow of a mace or a sword that would stagger me. But after the roll, I have a choice of either running, or moving at attack distance again and getting a strike in before the opponent faces me again. And thatā€™s where I found a huge difference between the game with original version of momentum-based movement and post-patch - with original, Iā€™m simply too sluggish to move in for the flank attack, by the time Iā€™ve moved Iā€™m already forced to deal with their next front strike. After the last adjustment, I find myself able to roll sideways from under a mace swing, slash from the side and be ready to go on defense again. World of difference.

Since the last update itā€™s like before big update (mount), no realistic and too fast.
Itā€™s not a tweak, itā€™s a rollback, so so sadā€¦

Any chance to have a line in .ini files to custom that ?
So those who want it to be quick will be happy, and for other people who want slowly movement and acceleration like when the mount update, will be happy too

(sorry for my english, not my native language)

Edit : when riding mount is very fast/instantaneous, is ridiculous. One of our server player say : ā€œOh my horse have a rocket attached on himā€ :confused:

3 Likes

This was confirmed in the dev stream posted yesterday.

Many people are happy with it as it is currently. If you want to slow your character down further, the option will be coming to server admins.

Personally, past that addition I am not sure what other complain there could be other then people on official servers having no control over their fate or that a entitled person is illogically upset that the rest of the player base isnā€™t playing how they want them to, for some inexplicable reason.

With the option being ours, we all win.

My feedback as with most thoughts is that you guys swing things way to hard, in your game tweaks. Like momentum based movement could be tweaked a bit but you donā€™t need to completely gut it. The momentum change was really good because you had to make conscious decisions in combat like rolling the direction opposite of their attack and then you could try to disengage (where a skillful opponent could attack or throw a weapon to stop you) or you could strike out of a roll and if successful you could unequip weapon and then start running to disengage during there stagger. And now we are back to square one with just rolling and taking off at full speed again. With the momentum it took quick thinking and acting whereas now disengaging is back to being a quick thoughtless action.

And it was especially good for combat pvp because when players were stamming it created a small window of opportunity to hit them if you could land a strike while they were building momentum whereas now we are back to just being able to tap spring for a moment every time they get close and perform a rooted animation

Is there not something somewhere in between? Or some other solution? It feels like the change came from an outcry of people mad they couldnā€™t move in their base as nicely.

2 Likes

U dont feel it? First step I took and I felt it right away.

Momentum is still there? Have u even tried to fight? Itā€™s clearly not a rollback.

Thing is, Iā€™m not sure why people who want to secure their kills in PvP should be prioritized above the people who ā€œcanā€™t move in their base as nicelyā€, more so that former ones are sixteen-percent minority. Yes, there is a solution: it will be adjustible through server settings, so those who want the original momentum will be able to do whatever their heart desires.

I disagree. You have all the tools above that you mentioned. They are still there. Rather then making them much easier to use with slow movement and cripple the rest of the game, take advantage of the tools in the game to cripple and catch someone.

Combat didnā€™t become more thought provoking. In PvE it just became slower and more cautious, and in PvP it just meant you were committed to the situation and itā€™d play out by the numbers.

The slow momentum actually made combat simpler, slower, and less skill based and more numbers based. That wasnā€™t really fun and didnā€™t address the actual issue you are discussing. Just created many more problems in every other aspect of the game.

I try fight, run, sprint, ride, dodge and yes, itā€™s a rollback.
Iā€™ve an old version on local server on other pc, and after comparaison itā€™s the same. :confused:

I join Misstake, before ā€œtweakā€ it was an other dimension for fight and move in Conan Exiles. Now itā€™s back to arcade mode.

Something tells me these values arenā€™t set in stone, either. Remember, Funcom tweaks things all the time. You canā€™t tell me it never happened to you that you downloaded an update, read the patch notes, started playing and after a while had to go look at the patch notes again, because something feels off.

For example, Iā€™m pretty sure that the Mounts Update also brought a few tweaks to the player hunger and thirst, because I could go longer without having to eat or drink before it. Thereā€™s nothing in the patch notes, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised it was tweaked slightly.