What can we do to boost interest in SWL

Personally, these veterans you want us to get rid of make me stay. I had met them on TSW, now on SWL we can play together. They are the ones who have been carrying the game for years.

How would you feel if your favorite game is left abandoned? How do you feel if you are told that the game will have more frequent content after a relaunch but you have even less content?
How would you feel if your comrades and brothers in arms leave the game because they feel betrayed?

So yes, some veterans have become salty or even cynical, others have become white knights. Personally, it’s more the loyal defenders that bother me. Because despite our bitterness we love the game, despite our criticism we continue to play in the crazy hope of being able to share old as new content with new players.

In my cabal, which has many veterans, new players share with us their joys of discovering the game almost every day, asking us for advice and information. And despite that, the saltiest ones in my cabal are happy to help him.

Get rid of the richness of the old game? Why? Why? Might as well reuse it and adjust or readjust it.

The bad reputation? It’s not just from former players, but from the firm’s track record after failures and so on.

9 Likes

There were a small discussion about that there possible was 20 or 24 Content issues planned for TSW before they worked on Legends
and given the Actual new content releases was had Since Legends launched
I just made up titles for them, as if they were still part of the Content Issue setup. ;p
to fit the Magazine Style.
(Here is the one for Issue #9 “The Black Signal” aka Kaidan: Part 1)

But if your unsure what i meant by each ^.~
#16: The Agent System - the Support agent part can be seen as the Augment system from TSW
#17: South Africa
#18: Dark Agartha
#19: Occult Defence

Also all the season events are more or less repeats on the older on from TSW
but we don’t get the full package as they were in 2016 in TSW
so they can drip feed us new parts of the season event package trough the years
I would like to see new things then old re-runs

But, I really do wonder what happens when we get to 2022 as that would be 2017 in TSW
and had thier seasonal Events Disabled, since Legends came out. there were no Samhain or Christmas event in 2017 in TSW.
Sadly i didn’t check in 2017
 but i did for both in 2018 neither was active <.<

@ErikT Good point!

Rosenbrawl was pretty much made just from re-used assets.
Mr Rosenbaum himself have stood there in London for years

the sms from him is likely new though. :thinking:

My point is that if they want money from us, maybe they should make something we would love to give them money for?, that makes sense right?

I Would love to buy more cosmetics in the theme of Gothic/DĂŠmonic and anything black or else that could fit that theme! ^w^
Or fitting the seasons, why is the Sling Bikini (mankini) men exclusive? <.<
I’m sure they won’t complain about us ladies also wearing them :kissing_heart:

Expansion? you know Content Issues kind of were Mini Expansions in The Secret world.
Some even gave us new Auxiliary Weapons to tinker with! ^w^

1 Like

yeah totaly agreed on that,I misunderstand your point about issues.Bad english here.

I say get rid off,its because old salty Boys are not doing nothing constructive,they even calling me a dumbass because I made some cash shop gamble pack drop rate test for ppl who holding their breath trying to buy something.They basicly just want funcom pay for the death of tsw and you know,old dream twist their view,they can never find and enjoy the good side of SWL if they cant step out from the shadow of TSW.Endless comparing and complain etc.They are basicly forcing new players suffer what they had suffered,they are forcefuly teach us the experience of pain,and make new players eventualy left,o eventualy become a hater because something they had never experience themselves.
I dont care if funcom did wrong o right but,we here want SWL to live and sucess,so why we do anything negative if we realized that?

I’m afraid there won’t ever be a time where SWL is not compared to TSW.
It is after all, the same game - it just has less in it than TSW.

The vets know it has less and as someone already said “What is the point of relaunching the game if you are not including all of it”

There are some vital parts missing and it will always be in the shadow of its much bigger and much older and much better looking sister TSW

The shadow is strong and the shoes are big to fill.
This is why some people find it hard to find another game to play as nothing can compare to TSW/SWL - it’s legacy is a lasting benchmark against which, all other things are measured.

There is not much promotion for SWL (if any at all - even during its 7th (2nd) year anniversary)
I don’t hold out much hope for new players joining as frequently as you might think or hope for.
Most new players i see, especially during events - are other peoples alt toons. I have 8, so its no surprise that the players you see each day could be the same people.

The ratings are not going up and neither is the population.
SWL is haemorrhaging players since day 1

What we have left is the ones who believe in it.

Silencing the critics should not be allowed.
Criticism should be allowed. We are human.

It is not meant to be taken personally
Taking it personally does show your love for the game but also being critical also shows the same.

Some of these players have been here a long, long time - back when it was a facebook ARG style game - before it was a tangible product of a game to actually play.

The experience they have gone through dictates how they feel.
Just like anything else you experience in your life, ultimately, dictates how you feel towards it.
Whether you realise it or not.

My apologies to @JesterX666 and @VivaCristoRey

6 Likes

As now the game is, what, 99% Steam? There’s no advertisement anywhere else, so Steam Charts is where we get more reliable info, correct? Well, something must’ve been done right recently:

It’s not like it was review-bombed by us salty veterans that spent a grand or more in TSW.
But all the positive reviews can be summed up real quick with two phrases: Story’s the greatest, combat’s the worst. I actually don’t think those are positive reviews and would lure people in.

1 Like

Understandable.
The promoting and marketing of SWL is to be honest not just failed,but not even put enough effort to try make it work,this is what funcom should really look into it.From the last months income generation report I guess they could already realised that SWL has potential for income generation,I hope they Will consider to put more resource into it.If they can promoting SWL better,more new players Will come,and they are literatly the furture of this game.
And I am agree with you about that silencing critics is not a wise decisión,especialy when you told me what was exactly happening.But still,we should distingue what is critism,what is just insult and flaming for their own profit.Remember that there are always some ppl in every mmo just love drama and want to be a represent of EVERYONE for nothing
so
The ironical is,some ppl condeming that funcom silence their voice,and at the same time they want to silence any opposite voice of them.I wont consider some ppl calling me a dumbass because I spent my money on SWL making videos to let ppl know the epic keys drop rate is critism,it is flaming and insulting,and its not come from the motive that want to make the game better,but from pure hatred.
I respect you as I know you are a good guy that really want to game being better,I have the same motive as yours.So lets not be hostile but be coordinate,we have diferent experience ingame and have diferent point of view but we can do our best by our own method for a same end----make SWL great.Just remember we should always reflexiĂłn on what we are doing,never forget our initial motive.We are here for love,not hatred.
Also my apologies for the harsh words in previous arguement.

2 Likes

Absolutely 100%

I would be interested to see if anyone has a screenie of the same page, say a month ago
 :face_with_monocle:

Hello, Wayback Machine.

29/5/19

26/6/19

well well well. Looks like someones been playing jolly hockey sticks with the reviews in a month

To be fair, when they finally switched over to SWL, a massive review bombing from veterans definitely happened, though I wouldn’t call it bombing because the people legitimately owned the game and were upset with the sudden changes. It was a dishonest, albeit smart move to not clear out the reviews, despite on streams and other sources devs and community managers said SWL is its own game. It is not TSW. Otherwise the rating would never have been able to get out of the red overwhelmingly negative.

The surge of almost 100 reviews in a couple weeks is interesting, and it’s all done by players who have at least 10 hours, many with 100. So these reviews can be considered legitimate, and incredibly well-timed. I think though that they ultimately may not be worded right. When every one is spammed with “combat is terrible/clunky” “combat animations are bad”, that could be a deciding factor right there, regardless of the blue thumb’s up.

Still, seeing the increase in positive reviews over all is a good thing. One would hope.

2 Likes

It’s funny because they revamped them in order to make it more fluid combat style
 :confused:

A question that slid into my mind this morning. Please excuse it being somewhat off topic, but reused assets were mentioned above, so I’ll build on that. Anyway, the argument has been made that it is easier to make a brand new dungeon than it is to port one over from TSW. If this is true, then why do so many locations from TSW continue to be used in SWL? An obvious example is Stonehenge being the setting for Occult Defense. Of course, the Faction missions are ported over from TSW, same locations and such. Wouldn’t it have been easier to come up with new maps for them? If it were easier to create new dungeons than port old ones over, why did they bother using any of the old dungeons? Anyway, just my rambling for the day.

4 Likes

I don’t think they said it was easier to create new stuff, I think they said that replicating the old would take as much effort as making it from new. The art assets would be about the only thing which wouldn’t need to be replaced I guess.

In terms of Stonehenge, the TSW and SWL maps are totally different. When recreating SWL, I would assume that instead of going with totally new untested dungeons they felt that it’d be safer to stick with the known element instead.

Thanks for clarifying that about the Stonehenge maps.

Of course, they did create Dark Agartha, which I think is a breathtaking place. In fact, I think Dark Agartha is a triumph, perhaps the best thing that SWL has produced. New map, new mechanics, new monsters even. Too bad I just don’t enjoy doing the mission at all. But I will admit it is spectacular.

“We do want to continue the main storyline. Making a new zone for the storyline is an enormous task, and one that would stall releases for an excessive amount of time. We want to commit to a faster and more frequent release schedule: One that tells aspects of the story through mission packs, events, expands on existing features like scenarios and dungeons, and adds new features. Whatever direction we go in, I just want to say, we will ensure that it meets the quality and storytelling standards that Secret World Legends is known for.”

I think the opposite of making a new zone being an enormous task, would be making a new zone is a small task. One is easier than the other.

I personally don’t believe that making anything new is as much effort as using old.
I do believe that the size of the team is so minimal that things simply can not be created like they used to be or as frequently as we would hope for.

Re-using assets surely means less work? (you would think) - take the OD for instance, it is the same map as the seasonal Cat God, but without some elements - but it is the same map used.
It’s not the PVP Stonehenge map. (which is smaller at the centre of the standing stones, where you battle for control of dominating, but roughly the same size of map overall when you factor the distance of the spawn points for each faction)

But it sure does look and feel like the Cat God map. (which does exist in SWL since TSW) Its much easier to take out the Cat God himself and his minions, change the purple glyphs up the side of the stones to different ones, change the sky colour (perhaps) move some rocks and trees etc Then plop in some spawn points & mechanics of mobs (That already exist in SWL since TSW) that make their way to the Hagstone (there’s your new bit) - then add some boosters (that already exist in SWL since TSW except for the jumping one which is also new) This is easier to do than it is to create a new thing from scratch. The time it takes to do that would be reflected on how many people would be available to work on it.
Again though - you would think.

Video showing the Stonehenge variant of Cat God to the OD below
CAT GOD STONEHENGE

OD

There were some areas of SWL that have been altered. BM as an example, you can no longer go up the bank before the quarry entrance as it is blocked by rocks and some wells moved in other places etc
Small tweaks like this to maps and assets that already exist are in no way harder or a lengthier process as creating something completely from scratch.

If it was one person doing all this tweaking, then yes - it would take just as long.

So i agree with @wolffspider and his thoughts here.
It’s just not a line i choose to buy or believe anymore.
Esp given how long it takes for anything to come through.

Team size and funding yes - workload, no.

1 Like

The SWL Stonehenge is actually the cat god instance from TSW some similarities to the PvP instance but still a reused asset regardless. Actually the instance was already ported to SWL before OD was released when they had the first Haloween.

2 Likes

Ah. I did think that I’d seen that Stonehenge before.

2 Likes