What can we do to boost interest in SWL

If I ever win the lottery, I promise for sure to lend a couple of million $ to Funcom at 0% interest rate if they promise me it will go into SWL. :stuck_out_tongue:

content issues is a dead end for marketing.P2p dlc saling is actualy a intent of suicide for mmo,because,well,p2p limited the potential of long term income generation more than the monthly sub model----the last thing could work with popular mmo with large playerbase and constant new big expansiĂłn luanching.

I’ll go full psycho here, but that’s to get the point across.
What are some successfull MMOs? WOW and Runescape. What is so amazing about them compared to this game? The graphics? the quests? the combat? the dungeons? the NPC interaction? the skills? the zones? NO, none of that. Nu-uh. So what is it? It’s the social aspects. Mostly competition. It’s not exciting to chop frickin wood for 1000 hours. Haha, not at all. What is exciting is
 when someone asks you “wc lvl?”. And you can respond “99”. It’s ridiculous, but that is how humans work. We are social and we always compare to our fellows. And it’s all >comparatively<. It doesn’t matter what car you have. What matters is what car everyone else has. How you feel about your car depends on what car everyone else drives. I mean it is basically evolution if you think about it.
So yeah in short, what I think could save this game is more competition. One obvious thing is PVP. Being able to directly compete in skill/power. That’s what I and many others love in mmos. “Ha, I AM better”. Another type of competition is to get that overpowered gun (car) that the final boss drops “Ha, I HAVE better”. But if you are going to rely on the second form of competition only (having the best car). Then you will need to update constantly, before everyone has the same car. Then it’s not special anymore. And you get bored.

Now, the thing is. YOU might not care about competition at all, and primarely enjoy other things like a good atmosphere or quests. There is nothing wrong with that, but to boost interest in SWL you need to think outside your own mindset.

When looking at that other thread “what ONE thing
”. I feel like people are voting for what THEY want, as if everyone else is thinking like them. Well if they did, then they would already be playing too. What they should be voting for is “What is it that others care for that I obviously don’t”. Nobody ever hestitated at the download button because “aaah shoot, nah man
 this game has 1 too few zones”. Now ofcourse, you shouldn’t neglect the core of the game. The soul is important, especially in a game like this. But the fact is still there
 the game is dying (if not already dead). Focus on social aspects and competition, that is my opinion. I would recommend this game as a singleplayer game but not mmo.

Good luck SWL

4 Likes

I’m going to offer my students bonus points if they download SWL and play at least through Solomon Island.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Now, the thing is. YOU might not care about missions and atmosphere at all, and primarily enjoy other things like PvP, competition and socializing. There’s nothing wrong with that, but to boost interest in SWL you need to think outside your own mindset.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Also I believe this thread is about players’ 5 cent, thread about what Funcom should do is already 250+ messages and is somewhere nearby.
I’m not sure players can do much outside of their usual activity though - talking a lot about their favorite game everywhere, how cool to play it. Cut all ‘game-is-dead’ talks to minimum so they weren’t first and only thing potential player will see when looking for more information. Like, the usual things. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

To be honest SWL should get the rid off the shadow of the classic and some of its veterans.Keep telling the game is dead just make potential new players have a bad first impression and keep them away from come and play.Without new players a mmo is truly dead and good,and funcom wont recieve enough income for any new update and tweak,they are company runnig business,not a ONG running a free program for refugees.Play,pay if needed and willing,forget tsw and stop endless comparing,contribute positively,its all what we players can do.Out of this we can do nothing result positive,unless someone buy SWL out of funcoms hands and make his decisiĂłn on his own game.

Although lately I have been a critic of Funcom’s handling of SWL, I have never declared that the game is dead. I play it every day, and I see plentiful evidence of life. My cabal is active and growing, and every day I meet new players. The problem has been described by another poster in another thread as a bucket with a hole in it. Many players finish the story get to endgame and quickly exhaust the handful of dungeons and single raid and find nothing to do. They then tend to leave. I have seen it happen countless times. The very veterans that you want to get rid of are the ones who stay to help new players and the community and the ones who believe in the game. They are the heart of the game. I agree, though, that bitterness and salt does not make for an effective approach to criticism, and I’d like to see less of it.

By the way, when I win the lottery tomorrow night, I will be sure to buy enough stock in Funcom so that I can make SWL a priority again. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

There are good veterans,for me partifulaly ppls from Show me your crits,they are good at skill,serious,responsable and willing to help news.They actualy helped me alot saved me a lot of money which if not them I woul spent on useless stuffs.But there are another kind of veterans.Those kind of veterans never really play serious,most time they talk not play,they love to gang up on new players,they stay in the glorious old days of tsw and alway comparing SWL to TSW and telling everyone how it is bad.They basicly bound SWL to the old days shadow,and they hate ppl whom spent money because they consider them as traitors because they help funcom financialy.Think about it,what good thsese kind of ppl would bring for SWL?And think about if new player met these ppl first than good veterans,what happen?They Will just leave.Thats why I say SWL should get rid of the old shadow.

If you had a nicely done text adventure (made with the text adventure toolkit found in your GUI folder), would you play it?

1 Like

Thanks for the response.
I do like the missions and atmosphere. In fact, I love them. Those are pretty much the reason I want this game to flourish. Because no other mmo pulls it off like SWL. I feel like i am walking up to a car with fantastic wheels but
 the engine is the worst. Every other car has better pvp than this car. It doesnt matter if it has the best wheels in the world if the engine is neglected. I feel like the the community response on these threads are “but I love the wheels, I don’t know why other people don’t buy this car? the wheels are soooo good. Put more focus on the wheels and they®ll buy it”. Most people care for the entire package. That’s just how it is. A few people will still buy a car if the engine is neglected, sure. A few people will still join this game too. But most people feel like something is missing (obviously, the game is dying). My suggestion is that the social and competitive aspect that most sucessfull mmos have is missing. It may be something else, I don’t know. But in my personal case, lack of pvp (or engine or whatever metaphor you want to use) makes the package incomplete. So I’ll buy another car. Which is a pity, because I really liked the wheels. I’m just not a hardcore wheel-enthusiast, sorry.

Your comparison doesn’t work because you kinda basically said that all single player games are just wheels without any possibility to put engine in there. Or are you going to talk about bicycles and scooters now?

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one with this particular delusion of grandeur. I too meditate on this unnecessarily.

Yeah, that kinda IS what I am saying. I would recommend SWL as a singleplayer game, but not as an mmo.

I am using cars as a metaphor, because just like you wouldn’t drive a car with a horrible engine, an mmo-player wouldn’t play a game with horrible pvp. I am not saying that pvp is the most important thing at all. Likewise, if you only focus on the engine/pvp
 that won’t sell either. The wheels need to be good enough too. Balance is necessary, or you will attract very niched enthusiasts.

My point is. This game is very niched. It will attract only a narrow type of enthusiasts. And if you ask the enthusiasts what is wrong? they will further promote what makes it niched in the first place. That is my worry. I hope the developers look at what is successful with other games, while keeping the integrity of SWL ofcourse. The developers should listen to the players ofcourse, but not only - not if they are trying to boost the interest from other people.

Nope, I’m not angry at all, It’s actually quite laughable esp since i was dubbed “The Julian Assange of SWL” afterwards
The roleplay from that was endless hours of fun, my account is intact and i still play the game on all 8 of my toons daily, the post that was removed sparked a move by others and i am happy at that fact. Despite what you think.

I don’t hate funcom, i hate the silence.
I think that’s a fact that even every SWL/TSW player and developer and person working in the department of SWL can stand by.
They even said it themselves.

3 Likes

But i would say that it would be funcom that would quiz you about who was wanting to “launch an assault on their headquaters”, not anyone else. Don’t be surprised if they ask you want you mean by that.
After all - that is a pretty damning turn of phrase to “misinterpret” - deliberately embellish or otherwise.

I hate the silence too,because opposite voice right o not,if it keeps a respect way,it helps ppl to reflexionar
But ironically you ppl hate to be silenced by funcom now are gang up and trying to silence any opposite voice of yours.
Think about it.

Guys make it in a DM or somwhere else. But donÂŽt repost moderated content. and Highjack other threads.

1 Like

I cant naming and shaming,but yet yesterday morning EU time someone just said virtual revolutionary stuff in public chat.Fully emotion and rage and hatred.
And yes some haters confirmed they are bring a virtual revolution,and when I told them what they are doing is just ruining the game,they told me they are just want their voice to be heared.
It has be heared,as your posts are deleted,right?Yet they did not agree with your points o they have limited resource,what ever,what we left could do?Keep calm and enjoy what we have,being positive and help new players show them the good side of the game,not bad side.
Your doing are basicly make new players suffering what veterans suffered from the death of TSW and forcé them learn the same experience.

Ok.Sry.I already told them my opinión,I cant forcé them to accept o not
sry for bring up this drama,I will clean those posts that make things more fiery.My intention is that ppl should not push each other to engrowth the hatred towards the game and towards funcom and calm done,enjoy what we have and keep positive,if they cant not,just dont play a thing that you dont like and cant change it.

Hey, you guys! Don’t Hijack my thread! I have genuine intention of making things better as a player.

3 Likes