Archer thralls stop working

Game mode: Single-player
Type of issue:Bug
Server type: Local

Archer thralls stop working properly after a combat encounter, when ‘following’. They cease to move properly (walk/run) and will start teleporting after me, often ending each teleport halfway in the ground. They will no longer engage in combat either.

After limited testing, it appears this only happens if they have a bow or throwing axe in their inventory (however it happens every single time if they do). They can use melee weapons (or no weapons) just fine and will not be broken by the encounter so long as they don’t have access to a ranged weapon.

Once the last enemy in an encounter is defeated their bow/throwing axe ‘disappears’ and then they pull it out again and stand still holding it. Manually transferring the bow/axe from the equipped hand into their inventory does not fix them. Using the stop following/follow again or guard, then follow again commands does not fix them.

The only ways I’ve found to ‘fix’ their AI is to exit & reload the game, or using the mod Pickup+ to replace the thrall in the world (Both options are very annoying given they break after EVERY combat encounter. This is very disappointing as I prefer to use archer thralls as followers since they don’t get in my way as much.)

I never experienced this problem prior to the previous patch (10.12.2018), which I assume is the cause/catalyst for this bug. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve played/used an archer thrall as a follower, so I’m not sure exactly when this bug started to occur. However, I had noticed that since the latest patch, after each purge the archers on my walls would tend to keep holding their weapons, and if I tried to re-position them they would refuse and pivot around to face roughly north for some reason. I’m used to bugs in this game so I gave it no further thought until I tried to take my named archer thrall(s) following on an adventure.

I’m using a lot of mods, however I will ‘happily’ test this in a new game without any mods, if Funcom shows interest in my issue and requests I do. Otherwise, I’m just flagging this as a bug in the fervent hope it will get fixed.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Command an archer thrall to follow (equipped with a ranged weapon).
    1b. Engage in a combat encounter.
  2. When the combat ends, observe the archer thrall put away their ranged weapon, then immediately take it out again and stand still holding it.
  3. Move away, they will now no longer move properly or engage in any further combat.

Repeat steps 1&2 with an archer thrall after removing their ranged weapons, and note that they continue to work as normal.

2 Likes

Confirmed, I tried without mods to establish a base line. I am getting the exact same behavior as reported here.

Archer will follow and engage correctly when you first initiate combat. But once that first encounter is over, the Archer will stop following and instead warp to your location as you move around. On combat initiation, the Archer thrall will turn around and face the target, but will just stand there as you are attacked.

2 Likes

I encountered the same issue. After the first combat is finished, any archer thrall stops following and teleports to me when out of range. For me they also teleport stuck up to their waist in the ground. Tried with and without mods in singleplayer. Bug kept happening.

1 Like

Appreciate the confirmation peeps. You’re both champs. Hopefully will get some Funcom eyes on this…

It’s probably happening to all archer thralls, not just followers (based upon my observations of their behaviour after a purge).

Hey there,

We’ve been noticing some reports on erratic archer behavior during the last few days. Our team looked into this issue and has worked on a fix that should prevent these problems.

Cheers.

1 Like

Game mode: Single Player
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: PvE
Region: US

If I equip a follower with a bow who is following me and get into a fight, they stop moving and attacking after the fight but teleport to me when I move out of range.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:
1.Have an archer of fighter thrall follow you.
2.Give them a bow
3.Attack an enemy.
4.Travel or battle after killing that enemy.

1 Like

Game mode: Server Privat
Type of issue: Bug
Server type : PvE
Region: EU

yes i have the same problem

1 Like

Same, already created a bug report… Archer thralls stop working

Could be happening to all archer thralls and we’re just noticing it on followers. After each purge my archers keep holding their bows and are acting weirdly.

After the next purge they see combat in, I’ll test to see if they’ll follow me afterwards…

1 Like

Hey there,

I’ve merged the conversations about issues with archer thralls into this post. As stated in my previous post, we have fixed this internally.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks Ignasis :slightly_smiling_face: Always good to hear that a bug report has been seen and the appropriate action taken, rather than having to blindly trust the process of a corporation… and being left wondering if a submitted report has ended up like a letter to Santa Claus.

2 Likes

We do generally always take note of all reports of issues, although some are prioritized over others internally depending on the severity of the issue or its impact on the community. You can help us determine what to prioritize by voting on our Trello board ( https://trello.com/b/9QvGiC1W/conan-exiles-community-reports here!).
But we do welcome all constructive feedback and reports of issues that you’re having!

Cheers

Yes, that’s the expected official line. It’s probably even true. All I’m saying is that it is valuable to the user to have confirmation that their report has been received. For the same reason that professional emails receive a courtesy confirmation of receipt. This is the first time something I have reported has been acknowledged, so thank you.

1 Like

That’s what I’m here for! Hopefully you’ll find an improvement in this regard in the near future :slight_smile:

Cheers

4 Likes

In the meantime, is there a way to fix a thrall that has thus become inoperational? I have taken away its bow, but it still doesn’t fight. How does one reset a fighter thrall?

The only way I’ve found is to log off the server(after taking away the bow) and come back on. If they’re following you, don’t give it back or it will immediately break again but a thrall that’s guarding or scouting can be given a bow again safely.

Glad you guys got it fixed so fast! :slight_smile:

Now we just need to yell at whoever runs the unofficial dev tracker to get your name on there so we can properly stalk you.

1 Like

Yep, definitely not just happening to following archer thralls. After a purge, none of the archers who were involved would work properly. They all did the bow-holding, teleport thing when I tried to get them to follow.

Good to know it’s apparently already fixed internally, looking forward to seeing it in a patch. Hopefully the fix will be more successful than the stuttering patch, which barely made a difference (I’m not even sure it did anything) for my performance. Hopefully others had better results.

Edit: @Siphersh Is there a problem with your fighter thralls too? Mine are fine, it’s just the archers. The only workaround I’m aware of (apart from relogging) is using the mod Pickup+ to put the thrall in your inventory and then replace it in the world. That always works but it’s a pain to do. You wouldn’t want to play like that, but it works. I think archers are just out of commission really, until they’re patched. As Aaron said, take their ranged weapons away from them if you want to use them.

1 Like

Well, it’s a fighter thrall that I gave a bow to, just to try it out.

It’s an official server, so I can’t use a mod, but I think the next server restart should fix it.

Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

Gotcha. Seems like it’s ranged weapons that are bugged for thralls then (I tested throwing axes too).

Javelins work fine though. Apart from being used up when thrown. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like