Hello fellow barbarians,
I try to play a pure archer in this game as a follower of set. I thought the set arrows combined with pure precision should deal an adaquate amount of damage. To my surprise, my friend does like double damage per hit with his iron spear compared to my lvl 20 bow + set arrows. Furthermore, my friend has the advantage of knocking back enemies when hitting them, while enemies ignore getting hit by my arrows. So the range doesn’t give me much of an advantage, when the enemy just receives 3 low damaging arrows before arriving at my location. The poison damage over time from the set arrows seemed nice at first, but you need a ton of them to really bring down weak / mediocre enemies. And I mean: 10 branches for 10 arrows is not THAT easy to farm. Not just the set arrows, all arrows are kinda “hard” to create in masses. So while a melee fighter only has to repair his weapon from time to time, an archer has to repair it’s bow AND needs to create tons of arrows. Furthermore, you will not hit much in pvp with this. Jumping enemies will prevent you from hitting and lets not talk about hitting the head… So the last perk will kinda be useless in PvP.
So my conclusion for now is: archery builds are a non-viable, at least if you want to be successful.
I think it would be great to give this “class” a serious buff, since it has so many downside, but no upsides. Here is what I suggest:
- Increase the damage of bows and arrows by 25%.
- Arrows that hit the target should have a 50% chance to not break and can be recollected in the enemy corpse.
- The second perk of the precision tree is useless imo (even if I miss, the ricocheted arrows rarely hit). One of the following suggestions would be good alternatives:
- Give arrows a 33% chance to inflict bleeding on hit, dealing 100% of it’s damage over 5 seconds (bleeding can stack)
- Arrows have a 33% chance to cripple the enemy, reducing it’s movement speed by 20% for 5 seconds.
- Shooting range and arrow speed is greatly enhanced and trajectory of arrows ist reduced.
- The set Bonus from Set armor could increase poison / holy damage inflicted on enemies, giving the set arrows a bigger meaning.
I think this would make archery builds viable, but not broken. You still have to build and consume alot of arrows and the damage would still be lower compared to strength / melee builds.