Bazaar items are too expensive

This is fair. But I do want the discussion to start as early as possible.

Usually when prices get put into a store, it puts the company is an awkward position for price changes, since they are mostly likely not going to mass refund all existing customers.

It’s better to get this feedback in before the prices are final.

True.

I think to make a good discussion is to come with a reasonable pricing model as example.

1 Like

Prices in the Bazaar are Crom Coins, which can be earned by completing Battle Pass Challenges. And, to the best of my knowledge, items in the Bazaar are also available through Battle Pass progression, so in theory, players can obtain the new items with minimal real money spent. Especially since Funcom have stated that reaching the end of a Battle Pass will earn players enough Crom Coins to pay for the next Battle Pass (buy one Battle Pass and if you continue to complete them you’ll never need to buy another and get all future content without spending additional money) this seems incredibly generous to me.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure there will be some trial and error. They will release the shop and see how it goes and then adjust from there. They will also see what sells and what doesn’t.

Shops usually have some bundles and do sales so no reason to panic. If you think the prices are too high, don’t buy. This will send much stronger msg to the those responsible for the pricing than some noise on the forum.

2 Likes

I think that the prices won’t change, but there are probably going to be big discounts 3-4 times a year. That’s a marketing strategy used by alot of games.
The game with the best microtransaction model is Warframe in my opinion. It’s a f2p game that allows players to trade in-game currency so other players can buy currency and give it to you for random stuf like helping with a mission.

All the stuf they have in Warframe is over priced but you’ll get 75% discount every 3 months or so and while buying without a discount is insane, most players go deep in their wallets when they get that 75% off because who knows when you’ll get it next. It just works and noone has ever complained about it, not to mention there are players who spend 90 euro on a cosmetic budle because they are happy with the game and only want to support.

1 Like

My personal recommendation is to:

1. Sell dlc-like large bundles for the collectors who are used to buying them in this fashion.
  2. Sell previous battle passes so that new players, especially collector types, don’t feel left out and are incentivized to spend.
  3. Sell individual offerings for the audience who don’t want everything.
  4. Adjust expected yearly prices for inflation and increased cost, but keep it reasonable like 1.5x previous dlc prices
  5. Be transparent about price changes, everyone know there’s global inflation, theres no reason not to talk about it

I’ll add these points to the original post

2 Likes

My personal recommendation for the collectors is to get their credit cards ready or accept that they can’t have it all.

3 Likes

That’s still wrong. Counting isn’t that hard, is it? For me it’s not.

I dont know what this arguement is over other survival games ig store purchases are, i just know everything on those lists suck(the games), even before the store… im not against an ingame store i just dont wanna spend 18$ on a table

If the stores good when it comes out ill buy everything, if i feel its over priced i might buy 1 thing… ever…

Bottom line is if CE is overpriced, population will die: its one thing that items are availible if you only want them and the store list for this week runs 150$

If its fair: then anyone conplaining can leave and the population will Still be there

They did say it was still being figured out pricing wise, lets hope its fair

1 Like

This one sincerely hopes the prices shown in the video were placeholders.

If not, that seems marginally absurd.
Without judging how others measure their funds, this one relates it to food. $20 is a decent meal (yes yes yes, fancy food gets more expensive and it is possible to subsist on significantly less). How many meals is a digital tapestry worth?

The DLC packs this one would easily value at a meal or so… But they tend to (with a couple note exceptions) be full of interesting or stylistic build pieces, gear, and placeables.
But Ala Carte?

Then again, we are living in an era where car manufacturers expect someone to pay a subscription fee to use the seat heaters in a purchased vehicle.

Unfortunate.

5 Likes

You’re trying to dismiss the argument but it still stands. You don’t even need to spend that much in CE. In MMORPG’s its $192 a year minimum to play, plus extra for cosmetics.

We get the base game of Conan Exiles for onetime $30 for all non-cosmetic content. So again… what income bracket are you shooting for?

2 Likes

Quick, someone should inform Apple asap…

It’s worth whatever people believe it’s worth. Our entire financial system is based on that premise - there are other knobs and levers but the base of the system is wholly “belief”.

And something only being lightly touched on in this thread is that NONE of this is needed or required. It’s ALL for the uber-fans. The BP might have some stuff that is actually useful in a utilitarian sense but that’s a one-time payment which will last for years for anyone seriously playing the game.

3 Likes

Well, I’m disappointed at their current pricing. I was set to support the further development of Conan Exiles, but not at those prices.

5 Likes

I think a good point to make here is a greedy shop will make many uber fans, not fans at all…

A fair price will keep alot coming back

So you don’t want to purchase a $5 banner (or hell, even two of them) in order that FC can continue to offer playable content for free? No one said you have to buy everything nor spend more than you’re willing to. Heck, as it’s currently listed in this live stream and no matter what settles out in the future, your ultimate financial obligation in order to participate in ALL of the coming playable content is $0.00 - if that’s too much for you or anyone then I dunno what to say. :crazy_face:

Only if logic and extremely simple math completely eludes them. Now if any of this stuff was needed for game play then I could agree - but NONE of it is.

1 Like

In that case, the banner should read:
This Player supports the game the rest of you freeloaders are playing.

There’s a funny gray space between supporting a game and rewarding obnoxious pricing.

6 Likes

I understand your point from the player’s point of view meaning “what do I get out of it.” What I’m saying is the whole reason for the Battlepass and Store is to further the game’s development. Focusing just on the game’s development is going to be problematic with such high prices. In turn, because of such high prices, myself (and I suspect others) are going to close their wallets. Thus, a closed walled does not achieve the furthering of the game’s development.

TLDR: The problem is not ‘what does the player get out of it.’ The problem is Funcom achieving the goal of game development.

3 Likes

Little by little over the years we’ve been chipped away at by marketing and schemes to the point where so many people are in the “Then don’t buy it!” camp.

Remember Horse Armor? How derided that idea was? Now it’s quaint compared to what companies do and get defended doing by their own victims.

No one should be supporting this, but people have been fooled into thinking “It’s just cosmetic” or “the devs need income!”

That isn’t what is happening here. What is happening is scientifically tested tactics to squeeze every last drop of money or sanity out of you till you either leave or break. Whole firms are dedicated to crafting schemes that will increase profits at the expense of the user base.

How do I know? I work in a company that does it. Exponential profit is the only expectation, and the only thing that matters is how good your last quarter was. The devs don’t matter, the players don’t matter. The ownership matters.

Every last one of you who thinks this is a good idea, or a fair play- you’ve been had. I know it’s hard to admit it, because “I’m a smart person! I can’t fall for that! That’s other people!”. That’s exactly what my marketing guys feed off of. They love you. Stop feeding them, stop feeding the publisher, stop feeding tencent.

7 Likes

I like how you quote games as “marketing data.” That’s not “marketing data.”

Its also a little ironic that you listed some of the most successful games in the genre as examples. Ark has 434,000 reviews on Steam alone (has paid DLC and expansions), Rust 653,000 (has micro transactions), No Mans Sky 184,000, Valheim 304,000, V Rising (DLC), released 2 months ago to Early Access, has 38,000 (a weird one to compare Conan to since it has multiple DLC released in Early Access. Don’t you all usually scream about that kind of stuff?).

Conan Exiles has 54,000 reviews and was released to Early Access 5.5 years ago.

So, if you REALLY want to use these games as examples of “marketing data” it then shows that games that have sold SIGNIFICANTLY more copies then Conan Exiles, shockingly, have more funding for future updates. And yet still, 3/5 on your list have DLCs in them.

If we are to treat the pricing on the Twitch stream as final, and we really shouldn’t, I still fail to see the issue. Comparing it to similar games and their store pricing, it basically matches it. As Narelle put it, the DLC’s we’ve been paying for the last several years was well and beyond “too cheap” for what was offered. If that pricing is final, then it FINALLY matches what’s been offered in other games with Microtransactions in terms of return (Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, , Fallout76, Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Fortnite, I’m just naming games off the top of my head).

But, as has been repeated verbatim in this thread. Wait, for, more, data. This forum tends to jump the gun on things, you all did it during the leaks too and a good chunk of the misinformation pushed ended up being false. If you don’t like what’s offered once we ACTUALLY have it in your hands, cool. Then don’t buy it, and then Funcom can weigh the actual marketing data and the results of how they have set things, and adjust from there.

6 Likes

I understand this ideology, but at the same time as someone who bought every pack including the ones i didnt want, to support them, i wont spend 5$ on a banner, 18$ on a table ect. Im fully prepared to buy every market rotation, so long as it doesnt cost to much 50$ each rotation id work with so long as its not 1 table, 2 flags, a couple low end tiles to complete whats in game(that i wont use out of single player) and emotes

I could understand if its more for more stuff, but ill wait til launch to make my decision, as ive supported it fully, but i will not if prices stay as outlined, bp is cheap which i like, but again 18$ on table 5$ per flag, is something i wont even play at all, simply because of greed

2 Likes