Beginner question on classes

So I am a longer time Secret World Legends player and as I reach a lot of the stuff that can be done there I would like to catch a break so I though I look into other Funcom games.
I thought I start a bit Anarchy online and already found myself a list on classes but couldn’t find a list on what weapons are avaidable and which class can have which weapon.
Is there such a list in existence or can someone tell me about those diffrent weapons?

Anything else one should know before character creation to have a smooth start into the game?

1 Like

Generally speaking, any class could if they wanted to use any weapon that wasn’t locked to a certain profession, breed or side.

Your best if somewhat aged resource for what works and doesn’t work can be found in here:

http://forums-archive.anarchy-online.com/forumdisplay.php?141-Profession-Academies

Each profession has some sort of stickied guide that discusses weapons; some of it is dated, granted. (This keeper guide is fresh.)

Then there’s the fact that certain professions either don’t have weapon support (doctors famously mess around with weapon setups, chasing damage in exotic ways) or have support for several weapon lines (adventurer, soldier and enforcer most obviously)… and of course AO has a coprophile’s heaven in the form of weapons and armor. By way of example, this is a list of two-handed edged weapons with Fast Attack special attacks.

The trend, though, is:
Adventurer: 1h Edged and Pistol
Agent: Rifle (traditionally – MA agents are happening right now)
Bureaucrat: Pistol/shotgun (but really, it’s their nano skills)
Doctor: Pistol/shotgun(/MA/heavy weapons/piercing/1h Edged – you get the idea)
Enforcer: Any and all melee weapons, though Melee Energy isn’t supported as well
Engineer: Pistol/Grenade (their bots are their main weapon)
Fixer: SMG
Keeper: 2h Edged (Melee Energy works these days too)
MA: Hand to hand. No weapons, but have combined attacks with some weapons (there’s the rare bow MA too, but…)
MP: Pistol/bow/2h Blunt/1h Blunt (pets are their main weapons)
NT: Non-expansion ones I’ve seen prefer pistol
Shade: Piercing
Soldier: Any and all ranged weapons except bow with varying levels of support
Trader: Shotgun

3 Likes

One thing to remember is some classes have nanos for their default weapons and going against type nerfs the toon. My Bow-Keeper’s 2he nanos didn’t work on his bow, sniff. A soldier is all about Full Auto and there are shiny (soldier only) FA dmg nanos that just don’t work with the 2HB hammer.

Since all the classes except Shade can use implants you can get/build imps for a weapon class so you can equip most high level weapons.

I messed around some with going against type-- Bow Keeper, Spear Soldier, AR Shade. Leveled the first two to around 100 before moving on; but I’ll tell you right now, the AR shade-- just too too painful…even done on the test server where you get all the end-game weapons/armor/other gear and max levels just for the asking.

3 Likes

And people called me nuts for playing a Ranged Energy nanomage soldier once. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Generally speaking; whatever weapon you find in your inventory just after spawning into the world? That’s the weapon type you’ll be using through the game. Not the exotic stuff.

Engineer spawn with a Solar-powered pistol and upgrade that same pistol type all the way into end game. Soldier spawn with assault rifle with burst and fling specials etc.

People don’t like to give firm answers to these sorts of questions because someone will come along and say MY SOLDIER DUAL WIELDS PIES. HOW DARE U!

1 Like

I think I’d replace “how dare you” with an unsaid “I’m ubah /w dis [goal realistically attainable but far in the future rather than first character friendly]! /STRONG2 ! and u can be 2 for only 2.999b!”

I don’t like giving firm answers mostly because everyone has different tastes and a lot to choose from (which, face it, is why AO’s items database being so big is both awesome and feeding a habit). :smiley:

1 Like

I picked a trader with a shotgun…so far faired ok. But enemies feel like bulletsponges sometimes.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a froob engineer guide. It’s unfinished. I’m actually writing the guide as a way to learn how to create and publish ebooks - for ePUB and Kindle.

I just uploaded the unfinished guide to my mediafire cloud.

Moved the link down thread.

4 Likes

You’re right, Dakaren. The guide really needed serious editing work. Sections shifted around and new content added.

Epub:

Kindle:

1 Like

Welcome to the game! Trader is super fun and the pace of battles increases as you progress, especially with the amount of offensive nanos you’ll be playing with and maintaining during fights.

Here’s a little hint to something that might help you :slight_smile:

http:// wiki [dot] aodb [dot] us

That makes me feel better about playing an AR ranged energy advent for awhile.

1 Like

Funnily enough, someone told me they played that and a melee energy advy at one point back when they started out in the Stone Age of AO… both options seem kind of neat. (We were talking about Breathing Space and Black Pete as weapons…)

Plenty of us mad but happy folks out there.

Yep, back in those days, there were some hard times for advents. After the Freedom Arms nerf, there weren’t any good choices for advents. However, AR worked well only with the nova flow because of low requirements. Still painful to equip, but easy to find (shop terminals!).

This why I’m thankful I had the advice of experienced voices when I came in with the froob program in December 2004, my first toon was in danger of becoming a rifle advy… I still haven’t reset the rifle skill. Now, all that Mechanical Engineering I pumped into him to make weapons later, that was an entirely unrelated foible.

Heh, I actually took the advice of one of the top advents at the time. AR/ranged energy never would have occurred to me left all by myself. She actually wasn’t wrong at the time.

Not sure when that was exactly, but my advy was born on August 3, 2001, once I got reports from EQ guildies that I might be able to get out of Tir without crashing if I was fast enough - the place was packed to the gills, if you can imagine it (and probably all of us on dial-up). I have two unmovable objects in my bank whose icon is a blue symbol with a question mark named “NoName” (the game still had some kinks to be worked out). I haven’t petitioned it because I kind of like them. ; ) Last time I played, about 3 years ago, one of AO’s database programmers had to become involved to resolve an issue where one of my alts could not be saved at insurance terminals because she still had gear in it, and the mechanism to remove it had been removed. I had to petition that one. And was awed, amazed, and delighted that the GM did escalate the problem to someone who could fix it.

Sorry for the nostalgia, but it was Funcom’s e-mail about the anniversary event that prompted me to come back. And I’m almost coming up to my 17th anniversary in AO too. ; )

LOL about the ME. I was just thinking today, due to all the weapon parts dropping, why they didn’t do more with weaponsmithing. It’s great fun making perennium weapons for my twinks, then selling them for eye-popping amounts when they out grow them (to my unadjusted to mudflation eyes, with several years between playing AO)(and makes me appreciate AO’s lack of “bind on equip” crap that other games have). Too bad that’s the only weapons (and the engineer pistol) my engineer can make that are useful. There are only so many fixers, soldiers, and agents I can play.

And so my advy languishes at level 73, despite being born almost 17 years ago. : / (grr to the emoji overrides on this board trying to translate : / to confused, rather than rueful. Anyway to turn them off? Oh well, a space defeats them and actually looks better).

The last line got me. (No worries about nostalgia! You just came back. Bask in it.)

I see how it could have worked at the time: heck, a few years ago melee energy was considered to be totally useless. Now there are keepers running about with melee energy weapons. What I can say about weaponsmithing is that yes, I too wish they’d done more with it – it has some use today as Mausser Particle Streamers aren’t as easy to find from shops as they used to be… ones that can be made into Chemical Streamers at least; there are certain shops where you can find those, but normal shops all sell the 000 weapons, which funnily enough is on topic.

Some of the 000 weapons are good upgrades to old RK weapons, though some like the Mini-shotgun have different clip and damage sizes with the new versions… and, er, the whole upgrading rigmarole is a little interesting.

No idea on how to turn off the emotes, but if your advy can get a reset done, at level 73 you’re pretty close to where a couple of pistols might make life very blammy.

Upgrading the 000 weapons has been made very easy now.

From any fair trade store they sell them in their 2nd most upgrades state, and then in the tradeskill department you can ranged/melee weapons adjustment kit (close to the ql of the weapon you want to upgrade) that upgrades them to their final state.

These weapons are great for froobs for almost every profession at one point or another (I’m using one on my lvl 60 trader and my lvl 100 trader)

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about the 000 weapons! That will help me get the advent back into commission.

1 Like