Call to action. Conan is in danger. :)

Ye ye just feed the trolls, they build walls to give them atantions and open up to pvp. Dont feet the trolls!

1 Like

An wipe of server will not help, they will just build new walls and thats everywher including the area we other alredy clamed! And we will lose 90% of the old player base!

3 Likes

#1823 veteran here too - I remember the juvenile griefing. So, I created my own private server and haven’t looked back.

1 Like

Should add “getting griefed” as a feature in Conan Exile’s feature list.

Considering this is an intended design at this point and certainly won’t ever change, I don’t think it should be omitted from the feature list.

The same goes for all other PvP games. And here we were, giving No Man’s Sky hell.

But hey
 here’s an interesting point of view.

Funcom doesn’t do double standards either. They don’t ban people for being dicks. But they don’t ban people for exploiting either. It’s quite a unique constellation.

So
 there’s lots of grey areas that balance eachother out. Afterall, black and white does make grey.

What i’m trying to say is when the wind of change comes, some people build walls, other’s build windmills.

I often wonder if this is the effect FC was hoping to achieve in a “harsh and savage land” where you “survive”.

Where taking things into your own hands is the whole morale of the story, whether by exploit or incredible cruelty; with the presence of others both offering adversity, stimuli, and purpose to all that you do.

It’s almost as if it’s mimmicing nature - almost as if it offers no obligation to it’s inhabitants to be fair.

Just an ecosystem of exploitation exploiting an exploitation, layers and layers of it.

Food for thought. Do I agree with such a constellation? Lol. Who cares? Ain’t gonna change anything.

while philosophizing, while gathering stone just now, I realized that we’re all actually coming on here expecting Funcom to fix human nature on official servers because we’ve got alot of experience with systems socially engineering the playerbase

Examples are GW2, WoW, and
 basically all MMO’s out there that deal with mankind on a macro level.

But how does one reconcile social engineering with the Conan Universe?

The answer to that I believe is: Recognize PvE as it’s own thing, not as a subset of PvP.

Isnt that part of the whole point in PvP? Domination? Contesting areas and what not?
I get the grudge on PvE (which I play mostly) as it
 literally has no reason for anyone to want to limit the experience other players have. But of PvP, thats the point kind of.

Server wipe is a no go imo. Official Servers with the option of said mechanic could be instead an idea. Like the RP filters and what not that seem to not work atm? This way, people that want everything they build to count for something bigger in the long run and not be a case of seasonal and monthly wipes can enjoy the game the same as those that want constant fresh starts to battle it out over a period of time.

I think a rework of non-build-able areas needs to be revised. Nothing too extreme, to keep the identity of the game in tact imo. Also, more dungeons. Areas that we cannot build in or around the entrance of so we can have locations that can always be mined. Like Sinners Refuge and Executioners Entrance for the example of Brimstone, which yields something like 600 Brimstone farming those two location.

So adding more cave systems could be an option. Areas nobody can build on. Only contested from there on with actual combat and/or NPC’s. Like the Silver Mines (which I assume will have silver in them?)
 Just, not in a dungeon format, open caves, no loading.

Another idea would be to have unstable building locations. Instead of revising the places we can build, there could be an addition to the system to break it up into 3 categories.
A- Areas we can build on.
B- Areas we cannot build on.
C- Areas we can build on that are unstable (due to the land structure, temperature, what have you).

Structures in area C can have innate less health. This could make sense on a lore level the likes of building on a mountain side that is fragile, the structures will never be completely stable.
Add a smaller decay limit to those too. Like, 3 days or something as a max.

On PvP servers they will become more contestable and a hassle for someone to hold onto them, making the option of just letting said resource location go, and on PvE with hopefully a revamped purge system, said weaker structures will be prone to more attacks and possible to be destroyed easier.

Going down the Purge idea on all this, there could be a smaller raiding system for PvE that targets these resource heavy locations. Not connected to the purge system itself. Completely random and much more frequent. As a nod perhaps as well to other exiles wanting to have access or loot said resource locations. Could even be something that happens every second day.

The rest of the purge system can stay intact for all structures in area A (areas we can build on).

1 Like

Yes but
 how do you propose PvP will go down at that point? The whole idea of PvP is to contest areas and fight each other. With this method you are practically undoing the entire design and point of the game.

Edit: Also, I love exploring and finding other peoples structures to visit on PvE. Even made friends like this. Some even have built things like bridges to connect islands together making it a viable helpful addition for us all. It feels like a constant evolving large exiled land that is just that, alive. Take that aspect away from PvE as well and, well, again you are turning the game upside down on its own direction.

1 Like

By making that feature PvE exclusive.

Check my edited response. lol. Sorry I thought of it after I hit post :smiley:

I do not agree to instanced bases. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Idk, I mean I only just came up with that solution on the spot, but I think it could really work. It would take more time for the devs to implement, for sure, but unstable areas for building I think is the way to go. Much less health (like 25% of their normal health) and less stability, along with a max 3 day decay timer, coupled with a Raider System that has bands of exiles and whatever else raiding critical resource areas for loot.

I am sorry, what is this image in reference too I dont get it :confused:

IronEyes

Decay refresh can be conducted through roads. One needs only log on once and not move an inch to refresh every single structure that is attached to that “decay umbilical”

If there’s a method to shut a server down in PvE, this woudl be it.

1 Like

Nobody said this isnt an issue. Still the solution of personal instances is not a solution at all imo. Your example points a finger at the usual suspects of annoying behaviour. It doesn’t point the finger at the rest that are fun to play with and do not just exploit the game regardless of other people on the server. People that I enjoy and love visiting their places. And hey, they love and enjoy visiting me. Its also a great way on PvE to showcase your work among each other, get ideas and what not, etc.

Like I posted on another thread. On our server some guild has cut off a critical cave pass (the one just north of the Arena Entrance by the river, connecting the two rivers on each side of the mountain). They have completely made that whole area in there useless to everyone with so many limitations they have put up it is aggravating and annoying.

So clearly I have come across such behaviour myself. I still do not propose personal instances be the solution. You want a personal instance? Play solo. It is actually exactly the very thing you are proposing.

As for solutions to better the existing system.

How about decay being take away from the whole “structures must be joined” idea. Decay can be per structure, and our characters can have a rather large invisible “bubble” around them that structures need to come within the range of to have their timer reset. This way, joining them would be pointless, people would still have to physically walk all the way to each structure.

This could drastically improve the entire decay system to prevent such an exploit. I agree, way it is atm, people just log in, build a road connecting all biomes together, and just come into contact with one structure and viola, all decay is done. This is silly and hardly realistic.

Personal instancing is not mutually exclusive to co-existing with others tho.

Just because you have a bunker, doesn’t mean your not gonna build a base on the surface.
It just means you can still play the game when someone brings in the apocalypse.

Don’t assume nobody will build amazing bases if they have a private cave to enjoy. Especially the builders will still build outside.

A private instance need not be large. I imagine a 16x16 cave, just enough to set up necessities.

Just a palce that buidler can retreat to, if someone build a crenelated wall around his build, and he’s godda wait it out.

Would you rather your friends quit?

This idea of decay system being connected to a characters’ position (needing to come near structures) can also be on the horizontal plane alone. Lets not make it completely annoying. Anything build above said structures we come in contact with, connected or not, will get decay refresh too. So not a bubble, but more of a tall cylinder around us.

Would also make for much more creative building without having to connect everything. I already do this (not connect everything) and just walk up to my structures. Why limit my creativity with such a hassle when I can just walk over to it and the decay is reset?

Structures far away should not have their decay reset, i dont care how much they are connected to existing structures.

Oh ok, so you are not talking about limiting the building, you just wanted to add this as a suggestion to each players personal starting area?

Ah, got ya. Yeah thats a different thing. I don’t know how much I’d use this, but yeah it might be a nice addition regardless. I have no reason to oppose this. Got ya.

Still doesn’t stop people from exploiting the other build system though, and what I thought u were proposing is no building outside of our personal space.

lol. Gods no :slight_smile:
And you can’t social engineer people not to grief in PvE, if PvE is treated as a sub-set (or child?) of PvP.

Only thing one can offer is a place to wait it out.

2 Likes

haha yeah, so sorry I completely misunderstood you :smile:

1 Like

Otherwise it forces you into an untenable position of creating “lower-impact” landclaims to prohibitively build out these pattern offenders. I see no other options.

2 Likes

pve so far is exclude.
PVE-C is a whole other thing.

pve-c has a golden rule during 6 hours its an all out bout
the other 18 hours are PVE only.

The main problem with griefer is that they got their butt shattered so badly in pvp that they decided to tone down on the hardness of the game and applyed what they had to swallow in pve-c making PVE-C server a constant pvp server. and you have to play the 18 hours of pve as if it was pvp because tis around the clock

Hence turning a pve c server in a constant pvp toxic wastezone where you get griefed, insulted and trolled around the clock or you see griefers using the structure claim radius to grief other players like a few foundations between between a players buildings and the griefers walls+ spiked fences ( no roofs needed in pve-c since you cant break things)
come to 1516 you will have lots of fun with a certain clan. they are currently “building a protective wall” at the entrance to dregs. if not they can always claim it makes things less complicated because you know
 running on the ground and running on dlc ground are two different things

1 Like