Call to action. Conan is in danger. :)

Those pics look like someone who doesn’t know that all the decay system cares about is that stuff was built on the same snap grid. The decay umbilicals can be deleted and still have the desired benefit of sharing the same decay timer. In fact, you can leap frog just a pair of fence foundations across the whole world and it will still be on the same timer as the originating base.

So yeah, looks like either someone being intentionally ignorant, or someone who lacks a good understanding of how the decay system works. :-\

1 Like

OMFG, you mean the decay of the tiles are quantum entangled as long as it shares a relation to the same grid!???!!

eyes grow wide

By the gods. This could change the way I maintain my public maprooms.

This… is incredible! The ramifications thereof.

… It’s also pretty danm ridiculous!

Thank you for sharing that with me Larathiel. This changes a lot of things.

Thanks to you, my server is about to recieve alot more nice public maprooms around areas of interest and are extendible thanks to tile hopping. rubs forehead Had I known this earlier. This is truly profound.

1 Like

Yeah that’s how I maintain maprooms and other public use spots around the Official I’m on, works really nicely. Quantum entanglement FTW! :smiley:

2 Likes

thats also how griefers maintain their griefing.

Yep, and an axe that chops firewood can also split a man’s skull. As with any tool, the outcome is dependant upon the intent of the one wielding it… Part of the riddle of steel.

1 Like

Thanks for that post, I did not know that.

If you build a wall around an area, do you have to place items inside it on the grid for a uniform decay timer, or can you just freely place them?

1 Like

So from what I’ve noticed, land claim is about a 3-second sprint from your structures, resources are despawned within about a 2-second sprint of them, and items can be safely placed on the ground only within about a 1-second sprint. This is why you’re able to use landclaim to protect resources at the periphery of your lands, but the wheel you put within your land claim but several meters from your base can still decay overnight.

For instance, the large Aquilonian brazier to the left of my tavern is about as far from the walls as possible while still receiving full decay time from the structure.
20190210174251_1

For another example, everything on the ground here is inheriting max decay time from the base the vault is set on.

Does this answer your question?

3 Likes

Yes, thank you!

1 Like

I am glad that I have not had to deal with the above problems. Everyone seems to be getting along on our Unity new person friendly server and I do not have some power complex. If people do not like something about the server settings, they can speak up and I listen.We are building a community of players since we are on a PVE server. We are not competing with each other, it is the animals, monsters and NPCs that we are against. People are forgetting that we come out here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. What do you say we get back to having a good time :):smiley:

yes my server was the same untill a month ago, then 2 player came and chaged every thing.

2 Likes

you private, pvp, pve-c or pve server

private server = irrelevant to this topic

pvp = welcome to exploit and griefing school

pve-c = where pvp failures go to take on players that are more casual

pve = relax and have fun

1 Like

@Larathiel
You’re quite remarkable. Just thought i’d mention it. Your ideas and insight into the game in general have been consistently profound for the last few months. You’re a good read.

Using “sprint seconds” is actually a valid measurement in CE considering it is a consistent unit. lol.
It’s like light-years, but for short distance.

I mean… measuring things in space-time is quite brilliant, because it’s a context sensitive measurement. Like, it’s a space-time variable.

It’s different in every-game, but characters usually have a uniform velocity.

3 Likes

@Halcyon I’ll just be over here blushing, but seriously thanks for saying so, it’s nice to know when your input is appreciated. :blush: You’ve certainly had quite a few posts I’ve liked, I can tell you that. :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, i think that a start point.
I don’t have the perfect solution, but the all joined together thing isn’t by way the best solution. Ever the fact that we nead place nearly all and each structure on foundations, or link them to existing building isn’t that fine.

First, it’s looking for the most uggly, and needs foundations where we wouldn’t still chose to build some. Good example are the pens and the altars.
While the altars mostly look nicer with some kind of podest around, it’s not the case with the still very big taming pens.

Like i play mostly on privat servers or in singleplayer, this isn’t really a hard issue for me. I simply turn off, or raise the decay in a way so it’s playable.
Still i think a decay-system is needed. It’s needed for populated servers, and also more immersive simply. We have to care and maintain our bases, that’s just normal.
Anyway, a decay-system should just be that, a decay-system, and not become an anti-griefer or anti-spam tool.

1 Like

With Animal Pens and other large structures, you don’t need to have foundations under the whole thing.

When I want to place an animal pen, I’ll run some foundations from my main building to the spot where I want to place the animal pen. Once there, I’ll make perhaps a 5x5 square of foundations, keeping them low in height using the foundation+door frame trick. I’ll then place the animal pen atop those foundations and delete any that poke out from the edges along with the foundations that I built over to it from my base. This keeps it looking nice and natural without running the risk of premature decay because it is still inheriting the decay time from the building I started at.

4 Likes

This really explains what I am contemplating these days. Well put!

1 Like

:thinking:…trying to understand this…

1. If you build 100 foundations and remove the middle 98 of them and keep the first and the last, will it share decay?
  2. If I build a second umbillical cord Within 3 sprint seconds from the first cord, but not in the same snap, will this inherit decay from the first cord?
    Quantum umbillical cords😐

Okay, I’m going to shamelessly plug you for info:

What is the “foundation/doorframe trick”?

1. Yes, they will be on the same decay clock.
  2. No, they will have separate timers because they were not snapped together.

I can try to provide some screenshots illustrating this later, but it may take me some time.

1 Like

If you skip to around the 3-minute mark, you’ll see how. Note that you can also use doorframes in place of the fence, or fence foundations in place of the normal square/triangle foundations:

Basically, add a fence or doorframe to one edge of a foundation, and then when you go to add a foundation or fence foundation next to it, you can raise it up somewhat by moving the cursor upward slightly.

To go lower is a little trickier because this trick can only raise them up. So to go lower, you have to be adjacent to a structure capable of supporting a foundation (cliff, sloping hill) and then get a foundation raised high enough that it will let you put another one below it at the lower elevation you desire.

2 Likes