*CROM!* desperately needs an overhaul!

this is what happens when you pray to Crom…

3 Likes

Yet did you also notice that all of those occurences can also be attributed to external factors too, and that none of them actually depict Crom doing it himself? Let us examine a hypothetical scenario here. I say a prayer to Satan and get mugged on my way home the following day. Does that automatically mean that Satan generated this outcome…? We need to be careful here Mikey, ‘A’ does not always lead to ‘B’, or put another way, correlation does not equal causation. To me it sounds more like misfortune perpetuated by the games villain Thoth Amon. But then who knows.

But hey hypothetically speaking, if Crom did this if we prayed to him in the game thats great! He would actually take on a meaningful in-game role.

3 Likes

Of course :slight_smile: would be much less interesting if it were otherwise!

I should perhaps have noted me posting that was intended as very tongue-in-cheek, but I came upon that text while scouting the Mounds for a Dalinsia replacement (my current one caught a bad case of Useless Perkotitis), and then this old thread popped up on my dashboard… As if by divine providence :innocent:

3 Likes

Ohh so true Mikey. It is nonetheless a gripping tale. Especially considering it is something Crom would entertain doing if he was angered. Its open ended stories like this which I have always felt fo the best job of inspiring the imagination. Although incidentally, if you read my coming reply to Timnercado, aand I may yet end up with proverbial egg on my face as a result. :confused:

EDIT: puts Helmet on and raises Shield ready for blowback…

2 Likes

Hi Timercado and welcome! I knew from a previous post that you were a purist. But that is fine, I dont begrudge you or any other their beliefs. I can see by the way you have wordred your post, that you have been polite, respectful and constructive in your disagreement, and by Crom himself, for such a good member of the community, so shall I. While I have previously spent a lot of time arguing the lore to support my call change, I have not not my logic for it, and I feel that now is the right time to expand upon that. The thing is that in any civilisation there will always be brave and foolish souls who are willing to risk everything just to advance themselves and the world they live in. For example, climbing Mount Everest, navigating to the South Pole, landing on the Moon, building a particle accelerator or experimenting with the human genome. The Cimmerians are no cowards, they have free will and intelligence (Crom gave it to them after all). They are neither a hive mind nor a collectivist culture. They all think and make their own decisions independently. There would always be those such as myself who would risk life and limb to advance themselves, their people and their devotion to mighty Crom. With that all in mind, I have no doubt in mine that handfuls of brave individuals such as myself would have tried, successful or not, to do just what I have said, and build Crom shrines, weapons and banners, even if it risks killing them. And if he did kill me for this, awesome!! No my friend I am not toying with you. For what more glorious death could there possibly be for a Cimmerian than to say that he was killed by mighty Crom himself! Certainly better than being slain by a horde of scummy bandits while riding away from a tavern late one night. But the thing is that I feel there is actual physical proof that he would not do this. What is this proof you ask? This:

4295_2-1

If Crom didnt want us to make physical manifestations of loyalty toward him, this symbol and any who created it would be scrubbed from the face of existence. As would anyone who performed the 'By Crom emote. So to me the notion that he is going destroy us for having this symbol on a weapon, banner or armour is dead in the water, and highly questionable for a shrine. As with the Mount Crom Insignia of his faith, Crom weapons and artifacts already exist in the various lore sources and the game itself. The only difference is that they are all forged by men, not by Crom. Moreover, it has been established that although Crom does not accept human sacrifice, he does accept animal sacrifice. Now the problem for the especially zealous Crom worshipers such as myself is that we have little to no ways whatsoever to even Roleplay our devotion to him. There isnt even a single Placeable we can put around our homes as a means to this end. Funcom has open stated on video that all sources of lore, be they movies, comics, books, past games, are ALL considered lore and usable resources for Conan Exiles. There is currently more than enough lore to give us a handful of in-game features. Unfortunately Mods are not the answer, as 2 out of the 3 platforms this game is available on do not support them, neither do officials.

Timmercado, at this point I am realistically not holding out any hope that you will change your mind, as my experiences have taught that the views of purists are not ammendable to change. Now here are the bottom lines to my argument, where Im going to sound like I am being rude, although I am not. I respect and value your viewpoint, and for that matter everyone elses. If you dont want to use Crom features in your game then that is fine, neither you nor any other player is obligated to do so. But PLEASE do not demand that everyone else be made to do without them too just because you personally do not agree with them. It is the same principle as within society itself; if there is a movie, game, nightclub, bikini competition, you name it which you dont like or agree with that is fine. Each man is entitled to his own beliefs. But dont demand that such things be banned or witheld from others just because you personally disagree with them. Put them in and let people decide for themselves whether or not they want to use them. You guys have fun and enjoy the game your own way, and let us enjoy it our own way.

Sure - piss off Crom and he might well send some raiders your way. Defeat the raiders, and maybe your valor will have pleased Crom (in so far as he gives a f…k about you heh) - fail and, well, you’ve already been punished.

3 Likes

You know I do actually quite like the idea they originally contemplated. Whereby we are able to do something to draw his attention and get hit with a Purge as a result of this.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. A DLC for crom would be great,

1 Like

Please do not change anything with how Crom is implemented in the game.

It is IMO one of the best parts of the game currently.

I personally Always choose Crom as starting god. It is very much in character and feels right in a survival game.

I know that Crom gives nothing statwise, but it adds a fun element to the game, and for a game that is the most important part. If you want stats bonuses, altars or anything else, just choose Another god.

expect perk points don’t really matter. You can down shards to get more. And you save quite a few just learning religions normally.

There small window of leveling up, that Crom user has few more points to toss in table making or carpets then heavy god user does. XD
But God user gets those buff and items.

I get this…I do. But those 2 stuck Journal entries suck…(you can bypass one via admin panel by setting down any alter and clicking it)
I’d really just want something stupid like skull with sword stuck in it (size of campfire) to finish entry one, and then placing skull/head of Boss enemy to finish 2nd one.

No bonus, no items gained. Just a Method for Journal entries…

BUT…if we really wanted to give a theme, Give to many skulls/heads of Bosses to altar…you get hit by lighting. >_>

1 Like

Kind of missed the point, I just mentioned perk points as an afterthought.

My point was,

I like the fact that the Crom religion is the same as No religion.

If the Developers want to add atheist to the choices at the start, I wouldn’t care what was done with Crom.

I like everything about this game except the “religion” god puppet aspect.
Changing Crom into just another marionette would take away the religion systems only redeeming quality for people like me.

a god bubble won’t save you, you’re just showing me where you are.

I’ve seen people say this over and over, getting another religion takes absolutely no points from your fets. 2 stuck journal entries are only stuck because of the way you choose to play. You can simply talk to an NPC and be taught how to make altars for any other religion, while spending absolutely no feat points or feeling like you “cheated” in any way. All religions are obtainable in any playthrough of the game. So, you’d only be stuck if you refuse to do so.

And I hate to be the guy the be a stickler on words people use, but “Perk Points” isn’t the word you’re looking for, because there’s still no way to get more attribute points, which is what gives said perks. Wat increases from eating fragments and books are the Feat points.

Although I agree with you about not changing Crom, to me picking Crom at the beginning doesn’t feel like no religion or atheism at all – and I say this as someone who doesn’t believe in any god in real life.

Instead, it feels like it’s the only actual religion in the game. Every other “religion” gives you tangible benefits and even lets you summon an avatar at your whim (or it used to). But even that wouldn’t be enough to disqualify it as a religion, because there are plenty of examples of polytheism in history. What cinches it for me is the fact that you can get all “religions” in Conan Exiles without any problems or consequences. Some of these gods are each other’s enemies and yet you can happily “worship” both and get benefits from both. To me, that’s not religion, that’s magic. :man_shrugging:

Interestingly enough, that’s why I always pick Crom at the character creation screen. I lack faith in real life, but in Conan Exiles, Crom is my deity :slight_smile: Although, if atheism was an option at the beginning, I’m honestly not sure if I would pick Crom or atheism.

1 Like

I chose my words poorly
to me Crom is as close to no religion you can get in the game,
because he requires nothing, and promotes self reliance.

but you have a point.

I’m also an atheist.

1 Like

Then whats that in my crafting menu?? Oh its altar I can build that shouldnt be there…

Like I said way up top… were talking small dinky change to fix something small. It has little if no effect on anyone negativity. but makes abunch of players happy.

That you got from literally playing the game, from literally doing another journey step of “finding someone to talk to”. You’re only “locked” behind that because you simply refuse to use a mechanic that’s in the game for that specific reason. having the icon to build a shrine in your crafting menu isn’t effecting you negatively either.

1 Like

I think I know what you are alluding to here Droch-Aon. You choose Crom because you want an athiest option, and would prefer to not get involved in the games religion system at all. However, I do genuinely feel that having Croms religion for this role is a slight diservice. Croms religion may differ from others, but it IS a religion nonetheless. Practiced by an entire nation and peoples with of course its own unique god. For this reason it is actually something of a paradox, as we are using a religion as a no religion option. I believe that there should still be a ‘no religion’ or athiest option in Conan Exiles. However, I personally believe we should simply change it from being Croms faith to a new option: blank seal/insignia on the Character Creation screen.

Hi there Bluadz6196 and welcome to the thread! There is a reason why @Sera67 makes this argument, which is actually much like my own. I have always felt that the Journey Steps are the closest thing we have to a main questline in Conan Exiles. And with that in mind, while I acknowlede that a recourse exists, we do not agree with this. While we can complete the Steps in question by choosing another god, the fact of the matter is that we shouldnt have to. Myself and Sera are both fanatically loyal to Crom, and it has never sat well with us that the only way to complete all Steps is to betray him. I firmly believe that we should not be forced to betray our allegiance Crom just to complete the main questline. It is a horrible feeling, which I would liken to selling ones own country out to a higher power for money. Worshippers of no other god in the game are forced to do this, so why should we be? Crom worshippers should be afforded the same courtesy as the other faiths. It would be like if I had to switch alegiance to the Imperials just to complete the Civil War questline in Skyrim.

What we really want, is a means to complete the Journey Steps without betraying the god we are so loyal and devoted to, and some in-game items built in the Handcrafting menu (ie- not by Crom himself) so that we can Roleplay our faith to him. You probably wouldnt believe just how much money I would be willing to pay for such items given the chance…

1 Like

Ok lets talk about lore then,
I read most of the original stories, I have seen all the movies.
I have read most of the Marvel Comics adaptation, however I don’t count these as canon.

And in all of them Crom does nothing.

Conan - “Crom, but I seldom pray to him, he doesn’t listen” - 1982 movie

Crom is as he should be according to the lore.

As @Codemage said All the other religions could be considered false deities, Conan see’s them that way, he stands against them because they are trickery and false idols

Ask yourself, why do you want Crom to become just another magic puppet?

He is lore friendly as he is.

people who want to summon marionettes and build temples to false deities have lots of choices.

If you were truly faithful to Crom, you would let him be, it’s what he wants.

He gave you the breath of life, put strength in your Arms, an he now expects you to take these gifts and make the most of them on your own.

PS- if you’re looking for a RP prop / tool, that’s what starmetal is for, it came from the sky. Crom is in the steel of both your arm and your blade.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, but I dont think Croms_Faithful is really disagreeing with you, either.

I don’t want avatars. I don’t want altars. I do want, however, to complete those steps in a (game) meaningful way. Give me an anvil, make it really hard to craft or get to; for me it doesn’t need to have an in-game benefit other than that.

4 Likes